Train To Udon Thani

jimmi

I will soon be traveling to Udoni Thani from Bangkok. I have never traveled by train, so this time I want to try it. Once a fellow told me he perfers to travel 2nd class. I don't remember why he perfers 2nd class (too much beer). Are there any benefits to traveling 2nd class Vs 1st class (money not being an issue). Any train travelers out there? Which class do you recommend? :o

Thanks

I have travelled by train once and I travelled 2nd class. The carriage I travelled in was fan cooled and had "bunk beds" (lower and upper births) either side of the middle walkway.

This is a picture of 2nd class accomodation ( When I travelled it wasn't so neat and shiney )

p2.jpg

totster :o

It's a very, very long journey.

I'd go for 1st class.

First class will not shorten the journey !

In fact in a second class sleeper, after a good nights sleep you have more people to chat to, to pass the time in the morning.

actually, I love riding trains very much......but if the trip takes 10 hours or more, it can be a hassle indeed......I wonder why people still travel such a long distance by train in Thailand these days, when airasia offers tickets for as low as 499 Baht one way (unfortunately, since last week there is a 200 baht fuel surcharge), so a single trip costed just 700 baht until few days ago (now 900), and you save a full day of your time ! at this very moment, airasia has almost all flights to Udon in June for as low as 499 plus surcharges on the website

It's a very, very long journey.

I'd go for 1st class.

First class will not shorten the journey !

In fact in a second class sleeper, after a good nights sleep you have more people to chat to, to pass the time in the morning.

I didn't say or infer that it would, Dickh :o

I have traveled 1st and 2nd class over a period of many years and prefer the 2nd class sleeper myself as you have a window seat to yourself (if 1st class you may not) and you sleep with the tracks instead of across them (and get thrown out every time the train stops - often). With the low cost of air travel do not see the point of night travel anymore for those that do not have to conserve a hotel night payment.

2nd class air conditioned sleepers are new (within the last decade) and quite comfortable but food can be hit and miss (depending on who has the contract). Due to the gage and conditions of track train travel is not very speedy.

The original poster does not mention a sleeper. Do they still have first and second class seats on Thai trains? They used to have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class seats. 3rd class were like benches with backs. 2nd class were individual seats that would recline and fairly comfortable. I never saw a first class seat so don't know for sure what they're like. The difference in these three classes, aside from the comfort level, is the type of people you would see, at least between 2nd and 3rd class which is my only experience. 3rd class has poorer people and is in my view more 'colorful'. For short jaunts I prefer 3rd class for this reason...but for a long haul 3rd class gives me a sore back side. The 2nd class seat I took once was quite comfortable and the people looked more professional, clothes, jewelry, etc. I went on a 1st class sleeper once and didn't like it. I was stuck in a room with one other person, a Thai who was very polite, etc. but we couldn't communicate...read and slept the whole way. I much prefer the 2nd class sleeper. I sleep just as well, save money, and there's more people around when the beds are stowed so I don't feel as isolated.

Do not believe there are any 1st class seats anymore. They used to be single seats that could rotate 360 degrees but in many cases they would be given to monks by train staff so it was hit and miss - money would be refunded however.

In fact there are very few 1st class sleepers - only a few trains have them and it is usually only one car. If you can afford 1st class you can fly seems to be the attitude.

The night train to Udon leaves every night from Hualampong at 8.45p.m., the second class sleepers,(aircon) are very quiet, most of the noise of the train's movements are cut out, whilst in the fan section the train's clatterings are more pronounced, but that has the benefit of open windows in the morning.

In first class you may have to share your cabin with a stranger, and whilst second class is a dorm it is very safe with locked carriages; you arrive in Udon at 8 a.m., so after a dinner the previous night in the buffet car, a shower and basin facilities available in the morning, you arrive refreshed and fighting fit.

Forget the plane and first class.

I have traveled from Bankgok to Chaing Mai, Bkk to Udon Thani, Bkk to Ubon Ratchathani, and Bkk to Butterworth on the trains. Used a 1st class sleeper once, never again.

Reccomend 2nd class sleep and request the lower berth, has a window. Upper booth not so good. More like sleeping in a coffin. Trains are a great way to see Thailand, some beautiful county out there, when you travel in the day.

I have traveled from Bankgok to Chaing Mai, Bkk to Udon Thani, Bkk to Ubon Ratchathani, and Bkk to Butterworth on the trains. Used a 1st class sleeper once, never again.

Reccomend 2nd class sleep and request the lower berth, has a window. Upper booth not so good. More like sleeping in a coffin. Trains are a great way to see Thailand, some beautiful county out there, when you travel in the day.

I stand corrected :o Will try 2nd class next time.......!

I stand corrected :o Will try 2nd class next time.......!

I made the trip a few years ago on a train, like you my first experience I had a great time, beautiful country, between Udon and Bangkok. As I recall the trip was about 12 hours but it's been a few years so I might be off on actual time, it takes a whole day.

I would say if you travel day time 2'nd class will be great, and I really recommend you do that, just a lot to see if you haven't it before. Wherever the train stops food vendors come on board, so food is not a problem.

At night I would go for 1st class so you can sleep.

Do you need a ride from the station? iIf so let me know I'll pick you up. Heck for you I will even break out the pickup and put some more scratches on it. LOL

Edited by ray23

First class is quite good when you are traveling with a partner. Then you can lock yourselves inside and have some privacy together. Traveling alone then I think I would use 2nd class seating, no sleeper.

Air conditioning is ice cold in 1st class, but I've had some experience with 2nd class air conditioning not working so well.

Many times the 1st class car will be the last car of the train, so the locomotive noise is the least.

3rd class is incredibly cheap. But you have to be able to tolerate some heat, and I believe a seat is not guaranteed - you might have to stand cattle car style. :o

kenk3z

Will say again that the 2nd class a/c sleeper carriages are new and much, much more quiet than any of the old cars. The sleepers are always near the rear of the train but if you can hear the engine over the tracks in even the first car I would be surprised.

I would strongly advise not traveling 2nd class couch as these carriages are very old with seats padded with tissue paper (or on one trip from Malaysia bags of palm oil under each seat making it a mini-mountain). Not a comfortable ride for more than a couple of hours. The only exception would be the Sprinter type railcar trains which are newer and seats as in aircraft.