Hepatitis B Booster

craigt3365

Thanks. I just did a google search. I also thought it was good for life...but guess not. Even the doc who did my blood work at Bumrungrad said it was not always good for life. Here is a quote from one of the sites I searched:

===============================================

Understand that hepatitis B vaccination-induced protective antibodies can last for up to 15 years, but appear to fall off over time.

Patients who were vaccinated 10 to 15 years ago, especially those who were vaccinated as children, may not be adequately protected. For patients with this history who are at moderate to high risk of hepatitis B infection consider quantitative hepatitis B antibody measurement to determine protective immunity.

Booster shots may be recommended at some point to reinforce immunity lost over time. However, there is not yet a federal hepatitis B booster vaccination policy.

Review

The duration of immunity to hepatitis B virus (HBV) from plasma-derived vaccine was generally believed to be around 10 years. However, rigorous determination of the upper time limit for immunity has not been carried out. Such information could be useful in devising vaccination schedules and possibly for developing public health policy with respect to the rationale for and timing of booster vaccinations.

===============================================

Sooooooo...I had the entire course about 10 years ago. Had my blood checked and I am no longer protected. Go figure....

I don't engage in anything that would really require me to have this shot, but I do travel extensively...and to places that are usually at high risk for this. Not worth taking a chance.

I think I will go to the hospital...Pattaya International sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation Beardog.

Craig

Maybe the OP did not go the full course (one injection followed by a second then a blood test - all over a 6 month period is the standard course in the UK) and so was not immunised to start with.

I went through that regime and the blood test said no. I was advised to try another couple of times (another one booster on each occasion). Blood test say no. I gave up after 3 years - some people cannot achieve immunisation apparently. In any event by then I had got married and a daughter and had given up shagging around :)

Edited by SantiSuk

It's a bit confusing regarding this. From what I have read, it says you should be covered for life. Even if when tested your results are negative. It then says if you are a health care worker, you should get a booster as you might be at risk. But even if you are negative for the antibodies, you may still retain the memory to fight the disease.

I had the full course. It also says that the vaccine is not as effective if you are over 40 when given it (I was) or drink heavily (I do drink on a regular basis). Here is a statement from the WHO:

"The complete vaccine series induces protective antibody levels in more than 95% of infants, children and young adults. After age 40, protection following the primary vaccination series drops below 90%. At 60 years old, protective antibody levels are achieved in only 65 to 75% of those vaccinated. Protection lasts at least 20 years and should be lifelong."

Even they are saying it is not 100% guaranteed...your doc might want to study up on this....their comment that it "should" be lifelong indicates it is possible it is not and you will need a booster. I think I am in that situation. I saw my blood work and I was at 0...a refresh is needed!

Here is another quote I got from an online medical site:

"Boosters: Unclear as yet but probably after 5 years for Hepatitis B and 10 years for Hepatitis A."

Edited by craigt3365

It's a bit confusing regarding this. From what I have read, it says you should be covered for life. Even if when tested your results are negative. It then says if you are a health care worker, you should get a booster as you might be at risk. But even if you are negative for the antibodies, you may still retain the memory to fight the disease.

I had the full course. It also says that the vaccine is not as effective if you are over 40 when given it (I was) or drink heavily (I do drink on a regular basis). Here is a statement from the WHO:

"The complete vaccine series induces protective antibody levels in more than 95% of infants, children and young adults. After age 40, protection following the primary vaccination series drops below 90%. At 60 years old, protective antibody levels are achieved in only 65 to 75% of those vaccinated. Protection lasts at least 20 years and should be lifelong."

Even they are saying it is not 100% guaranteed...your doc might want to study up on this....their comment that it "should" be lifelong indicates it is possible it is not and you will need a booster. I think I am in that situation. I saw my blood work and I was at 0...a refresh is needed!

Here is another quote I got from an online medical site:

"Boosters: Unclear as yet but probably after 5 years for Hepatitis B and 10 years for Hepatitis A."

Was going to state this earlier,that the older you are the less chance of it working.That is what happened to me,taken 3 and only partially worked,certainly not the full effect.Anyway you have to die of something!

I would only do it at the hospital to ensure that you are really getting what your paying for. As far as I understand, you need 3 shots, then you should be good for life.

3 shots. The first two within a short period of each other, cant recall. The final shot six months later. Then lifetime immunity. Im going for my final shot myself soon, thats why i know its 3 shots.

There is no guarantee any shots will work,I know I had three about 2 years ago only because the antibodies would not kick in, one would have been sufficient if it had worked,got fed up at the end and 3 blood tests later,the Doc told me I could have had 3 dozen and no result.