Unable To Install A Windows Update

RDN

This one:

upload21pf.jpg

It fails every time, but does not say why. Every other update has been applied without problems.

I run Microsoft Anti-Spyware, AVG Free Edition anti-virus, TrojanHunter and ZoneAlarm.

Any thoughts? :o

RDN - Many times an AntiVirus or active Spyware can stop such installs. Try shutting down your AV and Spyware or the following:

WindowsXP with SP2 appears to have a problem installing/running this update, while the original WindowsXP or WindowsXP with SP1 are not effected. (More info here here.)

You can download the update and install it manually here. (You'll need a valid copy of WindowsXP.)

NOTE: As with any new install, would recommend you shut down ALL running programs except Explorer, before starting installation. (Just be sure your off-line before shutting down the firewall.)

Ain't puttin fun! :o

cheers :D

Thanks Waldwolf. I did actually try shutting down ZoneAlarm, AVG, MS Antispyware and TrojanHunter immediately before repeating the update process, but it still failed.

But I'll have a look at those links you gave and try to do a manual install with more stuff shutdown.

Cheers.

I never install any of the updates, and I use W2K. I was forced into putting in SP4 in order to use the usb2 ports .. but I don't think these 'urgent' updates really are all that urgent. I just stay away from dodgy web sites. Never really have any problem - maybe get a little virus once every 2 years or so - usually through someone else using the computer to check emails.

Can't imagine why your update won't install, except that it likely needs some other update to work - I have had that problem putting in a windows component - it needed the updated 'windows installer' to go work.

i wouldn't worry about it

GL

...i wouldn't worry about it

GL

Too late, mate! But it's all OK. I downloaded the update as an ".exe" file using Waldwolf's link (:o) , disconnected from the Internet, shutdown every bit of code I could, and it installed OK.

Hmm, one thing I haven't done is to go back to Windows Update - using IE, of course, :D - and check that it now reckons I'm completely up-to-date.

I'll do that now! :fingers crossed:

I never install any of the updates, and I use W2K.

I sincerely hope you have a firewall, otherwise you will be in for some surprises. Critical updates are critical. I suggest you install those, the other updates are more of a choice. There are many vulnerabilities found and if you do not update you are just that, vulnerable.

Many vulnerabilities are not for IE but for your OS.