Career's In International Trade

Hi,

My question is as stated about careers in International Trade, at the moment I am considering different directions to take for employment. Ideally something that could have me working in Thailand or traveling to the SEA zone for business (I apologize as I know this can be the million dollar question to have an answer). My experience is 16 years as a letter carrier and due to unfortunate circumstances I am no longer employed in this field. I prefer to look at it as a good thing since the job really was a negative aspect in my life. I have a College Diploma in Business and have had a Media Business in the past. But I have an opportunity to be enrolled in a 2nd Career government program with a limit on budgeting depending on the course of my interest. So, I have found a college institution providing education and certification in INTERNATIONAL TRADE, the program is 7 in half months long and upon successful completion you will receive access valued certifications, including: 1) The Internet and Computing Core (IC3) Certification, a recognized standard for Internet and computer literacy 2) The Certified Business Professional designation (CBP) in Sales (International Trade and Business Management Diploma Program)

This program also states that it has partnered with FITT (Forum for International Trade Training), Canada’s national professional organization, to deliver the FITT skills program, including import and export management. The FITTskills program focuses on the practical aspects of international business, including logistics, nation-by-nation marketing opportunities, trade finance, market entry strategies and international management techniques. All FITTskills courses meet the international standards of international business and trade training and are accredited by the International Association of Trade Training (IATTO), an association recognized in 26 countries worldwide. The FITT Diploma fulfills the educational requirements of the prestigious professional designation, the Certified International Trade Professional. (C.I.T.P) The C.I.T.P is the only professional designation for international trade in Canada and it identifies the designee as a qualified professional able to meet the challenges of today’s global marketplace.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there with real world experience that can enlighten me to the positives and negatives of this career and possibly the course? If so, is there potential for employment in the industry or is it more of a course that will teach you how to run a business in the import export business? If so is this something that offers potential for business in Thailand.

Thank you for any information or assistance provided and feel free to send a PM if your more comfortable in doing.

Cheers

how appealing, and what possibilities are there to work in Thailand

it really depends on the individual's demonstrable ability in real life.

specifically, if a person can demonstrate all the aforementioned skills as described and is able to work independently above and beyond what my current staff members can do.... i'll give the person a probationary opportunity to demonstrate and integrate what he learned in school with the work requirements at hand.

beginning salary? + - 2,000 usd

My advice would be not to do a course in "international trade"- i suspect it is perceived as one of those 'fluffy' subjects like sociology or media studies. Instead take a course that's more valued in the market place e.g. accounting, actuarial, MBA (which is also fluffy in some respects but is very highly rated by companies for better or worse).

Best is to be sent to Thailand from your home country on an expat package . If you come here looking for work i think the only job you will find in will be commission based with very little or no fixed salary.

If your objective is to live in Thailand on expat package then switch careers into overseas development and get a job with World Bank, Asian Development Bank, UN in Thailand..there must be 100s of expats working here with them.

I second that. Jobs awarded locally are paid locally, i.e. in most cases you won't get (much) more than the 50,000 Baht minimum salary required for a work permit. That is just over 1,000 Euro!

If you are sent here to work by a multinational, the salaries would be much better.

To update everyone who has taken the time to respond and may I say the information contributed so far is quality material. I have been vacationing in Thailand for the past five years and have to commend the ThaiVisa forum for excellent info.

I had a meeting with a course representative for the program and it is nothing more than a cash grab fluffy program. No guarantee of a job although you can work for free 2 months to gain some experience. I don't know I'm just thinking after so much research everything is hinted with scam. I want to live in Thailand and work but not ready for the move I want to open up a nice sized bar but have to more R&D before I throw the dice. I sit here day after day and nothing but depression sits in when I realize that this life in the western world is such a myth and extreme bore.

Everyone says don't do it, you'll lose everything and I have heard and seen some of this to be true but I have also seen success stories through hard work and dedication. I just hope I can continue to pursue this goal and try to do the right things to make a reliable business and a happier life.

Thanks for all your comments and advice.