Glasses

anonymouse

Sorry to add the most boring topic for 2010 so far but....

Looking to get a new pair of glasses, I'm back in the UK in a couple of weeks time - anybody know if it's cheaper to buy them here in CM, if so recommendations :) or should I wait and get them at specsavers or their ilk when I'm back in Blighty?

Interested in the replies to this one as I need a new eye test and varifocals. Last time I bought my specs here (in Thailand) and on a subsequent visit to an opticians in UK was told they were 'top of the range' I paid about 1/2 what I'd have paid in UK.

BTW I thought the eye tests here were pretty good quality. not that I'm an expert!

Interested in the replies to this one as I need a new eye test and varifocals. Last time I bought my specs here (in Thailand) and on a subsequent visit to an opticians in UK was told they were 'top of the range' I paid about 1/2 what I'd have paid in UK.

BTW I thought the eye tests here were pretty good quality. not that I'm an expert!

And same applies for all the Belgian folks. Top of the range glasses at more than half the price than in Belgium. Eye tests done in Thailand and 2 weeks later in Belguim - completely same results

I've had the same experience with U.S. and Thai glasses. The only way I'd recommend getting glasses outside Thailand is if someone else (like insurance or your government) were paying for them. I didn't have optical insurance when we lived in the U.S., so I got glasses one time in Thailand during a visit. My U.S. optician was very impressed with the quality and amazed at the price. But, I had the same reaction, too, with my U.S. dentist, cardiologist and hair stylist. Now I'm in Thailand full-time, rather than just visiting every so often. The quality and cost of various medical-related services was a big reason we chose to retire here.

I bought new glasses in CM 2 years back in a well known franchise outlet from Tokyo.... they cost me the equivalent of UK£180. They never really worked properly for me and I got a lot of headaches after using them. I always found that I was looking up and down at everything trying to find a good workable focal length that was comfortable.

Eventually I went to a UK optician while I was back 'home' in the UK over Christmas and, after testing my eyesight, they ran a test on my Thai glasses....

In short, they were a mess. They were varifocals (although I had insisted I did not not want varifocals) and worse still, they had been made upside-down - yep folks that was upside down, so the longer distance part of the lens was at the bottom and the close-up, book-reading part was at the top.... go figure!

I got a pair of specs in a UK optician for half the price I paid in Thailand and they work perfectly.

Never again!!!

Edited by Bearnagh

I bought new glasses in CM 2 years back in a well known franchise outlet from Tokyo.... they cost me the equivalent of UK£180. They never really worked properly for me and I got a lot of headaches after using them. I always found that I was looking up and down at everything trying to find a good workable focal length that was comfortable.

Eventually I went to a UK optician while I was back 'home' in the UK over Christmas and, after testing my eyesight, they ran a test on my Thai glasses....

In short, they were a mess. They were varifocals (although I had insisted I did not not want varifocals) and worse still, they had been made upside-down - yep folks that was upside down, so the longer distance part of the lens was at the bottom and the close-up, book-reading part was at the top.... go figure!

I got a pair of specs in a UK optician for half the price I paid in Thailand and they work perfectly.

Never again!!!

Sorry to say but the same happened to me just recently. Went into a shop at Carrefour to have new glasses made. After choosing a frame - during the eye test I was shown the progressive lenses - which where supposed to give me perfect sight near and far. I was then shown a computer animation - explaining the three different lenses at 4500, 6500 and 10.000 Baht the later supossed to be the "premium" product having no bluring in the corners at all.

Stupid me thinking it is my eyesight and I want the best, I went for the "premium" lenses - and after waiting one week for the new glasses they turned out to be a dissaster everytime I moved my head a bit everything went out of focus, if I turned my head everything around me moved like a wave up and down.

I protested and after half an hour they agreed to fit the (overpriced) frame with a pair of free lenses so I would have at least some glasses to wear.

Of course the lenses turned out the cheapest but at least I had a pair of now cheap glasses to wear for 14.500 Baht !

A friend then told me that I might just try the expensive progressive lenses as it took him 2-3 weeks to get used to these progressive lenses.

So I went to another optician and had them framed - and on checking the lenses he asked me where I had bought them. I said here in Chiang Mai - and he said that they had been cut wrong and that I should not wear them as they might damage my eyes on the long run.

He then outlined the center of the lenses and showed me that they had been cut the wrong way. I then noticed that also the "free" pair of lenses in the new frame had been cut wrong and where not alligned with the frame correctly.

I am wearing my old glasses now - and I have two pairs of new glasses for 16.500 Baht at home which are useless!!

To be fair I must say here that I had my old glasses made in Chiang Mai as well - in Khad Suan Kheo and never had a problem with them.

Since we have only one pair of eyes I will have my next glasses done by a proffesional in Europe never mind the cost - after all I don't want to damage my eyes because some optician does not know how to cut lenses.

I did buy a new pair in Thailand. Plastic lens. Wanted Glass but was told No Have. Cost 6000 Baht.

Could have got Glass here in the UK for that sort of money. So I would say get them in the UK. Plus the Eye test is better in the UK

You really bought the glasses at the first optician recommended by a Tuk-Tuk driver?? :)

Sorry folks

I know of no independant guys that actually make lenses. I have always paid when I picked up my glasses. In BKK I usually buy 3 pair at once because for 999 baht you are not getting the best frames in the world and the plastic lenses scratch fairly easily. If you are getting progressive lenses I think there are only 2 labs in Thailand that make them (and do get the more expensive High Index lenses if you are doing this!)

Progessive lenses are great once you get used to them, but honestly I like to be able to move my eyes without moving my head, so prefer to just have 2 sets of glasses. Distance and reading glasses. Biggest reason is riging the motorcycle.

Never again!!!

I presume you tested them thoroughly when you tried them on and before paying for them?

How could you walk out, you must have been dizzy?

I wear varifocals and have never had a problem. :D I buy my Hoya lens here, which are not great but suit my needs for about 2,800 baht and I buy my frames in Yangon when I'm there, for $40-50 - the same designer name frames you will pay 6-8000 Baht here. The girl in the shop is always amazed how much my frames cost when I tell her. :)

My friend also had varifocal lens' made there for $45 and he's very pleased with the result. I have not had lenses made there, but I have Burmese friends in Yangon, Doctors, writers etc, who have great glasses.

Reckon on 80-100 dollars for a complete pair.

They do the computer test but also the eye test where they slot glass in and out to get your prescription.

If anyone needs new glasses and is planning a visit to Burma, pm me and I'll give you directions if you want to have a look.

In previous threads, many posters recommended Vision Center in the Old City, just east of UN Irish Pub. They do prepare simple lenses there on-site, but send more complex ones like bifocals down to Bangkok. They use state-of-the-art equipment for your eye exam and never pressure you into buying high priced frames when you have a perfectly good pair of frames and just want a new prescription. The worst glasses I ever bought were from a Thai chain store and I'll never go to another one again.

Like other bifocal wearers, I've found it helps to have a second pair of specs just for "distance" work. I call them my "walking" glasses but they also come in handy at movies. I'd wear them if I were every stupid enough to drive a motorcycle. I've learned from my older relatives that "progressive" trifocal lenses are a recipe for disaster. My mother had a major arm fracture because she couldn't correctly gage distance while wearing those glasses while walking on ice and snow. Those were U.S.-produced glasses, of course.

I really like the definite line on bifocals. Helps you to figure out which part of the lens you're using. Who cares if they "make you look old". Grey hair, wrinkles, pot belly, etc are going to disclose your age way before anyone notices the lenses on your glasses.

Regrettably I would have to say the OP is better off buying in the UK from both a cost and quality aspect, I've bought far too many pairs of glasses (progressive) in Thailand and just had so many problems as to make the experience unworkable. Case in point: Essilor Physio 1.6, a top of the range and outstanding progressive lens, Thai price is around 22,000 baht, UK price is around £300 and at least if I buy them in the UK I will be assured that I'm actually getting the original product and they will not be machined upside down.

I presume you tested them thoroughly when you tried them on and before paying for them?

How could you walk out, you must have been dizzy?

I figured someone would ask that... The effect of the wrong prescription was a tad more subtle than that... The vision through them felt odd and I felt that my eyes were straining a bit to accomodate them but the optician told me that it was normal to feel this way about new glasses and that my eyes would adapt in a few days. I was "slightly sceptical" but not "outraged" if you see the difference. It was after some weeks that I realised that the headaches always came after wearing those glasses for a duration. This is the problem with a prescription that is a 'bit wrong' rather than 'dreadfully wrong'... your eyes do try to accomodate it and it's hard to be sure that they really are wrong. The interesting thing is that when I picked up my new specs in the UK, they too felt kinda weird and I felt my eyes straining slightly at first. They appear to be perfect for me now.

Edited by Bearnagh

I have found some of the bigger chains here are absolutely rubbish not "Top" at all, on the other hand new place in Pattaya called Euro Optic seems to have all the right equipment and qualified staff not bimbos in white dresses who do not have a clue. Got some nice sunglasses from them and will be going there for my next varifocals after "Top" cut my old lenses down to make them fit a cheap frame as I had broken my titanium frame, totally ruined an expensive pair of glasses

I got glasses made last week actually at TOP Charoen Optical at Kad Suan Kaew. I really like them. Because they actually tested my eye ( because I havent had an exam in 3 years) and said I didnt need to change my prescription. So it was better for me to stay at my current numbers. I'm near sighted and my eyes are -1.50/ -1.75

The price I got for 1 pair of glasses 3600 B. Which is a deal for me. In the US, glasses usually cost about 300 - 400, and thats going with cheap frames and cheap everything! My glasses here in Chiang mai were 3600, 2 months of contacts - 340, and contact solution - 160. Total was 4100. Cheap enough for me. But then again... There was Chinese new year discount going on. So ask about any discounts.

As for contacts - alot cheaper then US. Its $36 for 3 month (3 pairs) of contacts in the US. For me in Thailand 1 box (1 pair) was 170 baht. So if you want to save the most money... contacts are the way to go and just save your old glasses as backup for lazy days.

When we went in, we asked about the price for every single thing - lens, eye exam, contacts, solution. Didnt ask about frame prices cause I can see it myself lol

If in doubt... take a Thai person with you to translate or help. I went with my mom, who speaks and reads Thai. I can only understand most Thai. Speaking Thai back is my issue. But that store, they understood me when I called them and went back alone to pick up my glasses. So basic English shouldnt be an issue.

You need to be careful about price of frames though, because when they start showing you the frames, they will pull out the Designer frames at 7000 +, and thats JUST for the frame. So you'll have to ask them for cheaper frames and keep asking. Name the max price youre willing to go for glasses (make sure you do the math and remember to tac on Lens prices too when doing the math in your head). Then see what they show you within your price range.

I saw some really nice frames at 4000 - 7000. but I went for really cheap lol. My frames were about 3500 or something like that.

For lens , there are 3 different kind. 1 is the basic one (900 :). 2 is a more advance one (1500~) . 3 is the premium lens (3000 +). I went for the middle one. So my glasses were sent down to BKK, and I picked them up about 5 days later ( only that long because I live far from the middle of Chiang mai and waited to pick them up the same day as my doctors appointment).

They were fine when I tried them on, although it does take a day or two for your eyes to adjust to new glasses, at least for me. It was always like that back in the US too. Only Issue I had with my glasses were slight depth perception. Because I kept looking down pass the edge of my glasses. lol But its pretty good now and they are decent glasses. Kind of a unisex style, although I think its a little more masculine. Thats my fault though for picking the frame. lol

My only thing is (cause I'm nit picky) the lens are a little think compared to the glasses I have from the US. I dont know if its just like that or because I picked the 2nd kind of lens instead of the basic one. Next time I'll get the basic lens and see.

But I like my glasses and still kept my old ones as back up.

So if youre getting regular glasses, it should be fine. if you want something else/ more advance... I would defiantly do research and check around.

Edited by Yunnie