Embassies Issue Travel Advisories : Thaksin Asset Ruling

webfact

Thaksin asset ruling:

Embassies issue travel advisories

gallery_327_1086_14259.jpg

British Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle. File photo.

PHUKET: -- The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is warning its citizens throughout Thailand to exercise ‘great caution’ in advance of a Supreme Court ruling on the fate of exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s 76 billion baht in seized assets.

A statement posted on the FCO’s website and signed by British Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle reads as follows:

“The political situation in Thailand is tense and uncertain. British citizens should exercise great caution throughout Thailand and avoid demonstrations or large gatherings of people that might turn violent. It is likely that there will be mass protests by anti-government demonstrators in and around Bangkok. A court decision due on 26 February 2010 is a potential flashpoint. If, as is quite possible, anti-government protests turn violent, British citizens should stay indoors and monitor the media and this website.”

The foreign services of a number of other nations have posted similar advice on their websites.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises its citizens “to exercise a high degree of caution because of the high threat of terrorist attack and because of political instability in Thailand.”

The US State Department advises its citizens to avoid any large public gatherings.

“All demonstrations are unpredictable, and any demonstration can turn violent without warning,” it says.

Few in Phuket expect violence to break out in the island province or other parts of the South, where red-shirted supporters of Mr Thaksin are greatly outnumbered by their yellow-shirted rivals from the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-02-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Australian government is insane, and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so ignore them if you want to save your own sanity. As for the others, I can't comment.

Why is the Australian government insane?? It sounds like really sensible advice. Not that it would stop me from travelling to Thailand, but it's a pretty responsible and accurate judgement of the situation.

The Australian government is insane, and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so ignore them if you want to save your own sanity. As for the others, I can't comment.

Why is the Australian government insane?? It sounds like really sensible advice. Not that it would stop me from travelling to Thailand, but it's a pretty responsible and accurate judgement of the situation.

I agree with you TheRavens

They are exercising due diligence in putting out this warning.

You know if they did not put out the warning and something

went wrong they would be chastised for not warning people.

Guess people are not happy either way.

The Government is not insane . Issuing warnings anywhere there could be disruptions/protests which may or not be violent is standard practice and has been for years. If they didnt and there were deaths /injuries or disruptions the whingers would be out in force saying "Why didnt you warn us" Whether you take notice of them or not is your perogative.

OK, so we avoid getting in the middle of the mobs. Maybe stay away from large gathering that might me a mob but we're not sure. Does the mall or Chatuchaak market count as a crowded place? I think it's life as usual for the most part. I"m going to do what i always do.

To all registered Dutch in Thailand:

For, on the day and shortly after the ruling on February 26 the trial against former PM Thaksin about widespread corruption, must in urban agglomerations throughout the country, but especially in Bangkok, taking account of unrest. It began peaceful demonstrations could degenerate into violent riots suddenly. You are therefore advised to be extra alert during this period and are regularly informed of developments in your immediate surroundings. These trends can change quickly.

In this context, include recording and thus connection to the "SMS alert system from the Dutch Embassy useful. Say this is on! To find below further information on the direct link and the travel advice for Thailand by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This opinion is proposed by the embassy in Bangkok regularly updated.

http://www.minbuza.nl/nl/Reizen_en_Landen/...advies_Thailand

The website of the embassy itself contains current political developments that may be of interest to you.

www.mfa.nl / ban

I would appreciate it if you want to forward this message to other Dutch people who you know that they are not registered with us and therefore not themselves have received. So we help each other.

Sincerely,

D.P. Trimp, Second Secretary

Capital Management and Consular Affairs

Embassy Bangkok

To be save you need too avoid Thailand in Total. The other day i drunk thai man put a gun to my head, but he was to chikken to use it, after i went to police station and they would not do anything, then i started complaining about the police, then they wanted to arest me. But i just gave them the finger and left and nothing more happent.

Thailand is the wild west, get use to and live with it or get out of Thailand that is the only thing to do.

HEY------- The warnings were made....... If you don't want to listen or think you know "better" -- that's up to you........... But then, if your ass winds up in a sling or you get "bloodied-up", you can't blame anybody but yourself................. You were warned............

To be save you need too avoid Thailand in Total. The other day i drunk thai man put a gun to my head, but he was to chikken to use it, after i went to police station and they would not do anything, then i started complaining about the police, then they wanted to arest me. But i just gave them the finger and left and nothing more happent.

Thailand is the wild west, get use to and live with it or get out of Thailand that is the only thing to do.

you sound a nice bloke! :)

This response is so predictable. How can you not fall asleep as you read it? Blah blah blah. What a joke. Year after year.

How many people, farang or otherwise, has been hurt in any of this Thai political BS? Raise your hand. Thought so. Never has been, never will be.

10.5 months ago stood there 10 meters away from the burning bus... watched it explode. Hooray. Don't give a f&$%. What a joke. I just hope the airports get closed so I can't get back to BKK from USM next weekend.

L8

what was this government's slogan when it came to power? had it something to do with reconciliation?

This government has done nothing other than bringing shame to Thailand. Being it with the boat refugees that were sent to a certain death, being it the people returned to Laos, even when they were granted citizenship in Europe or the USA and lately with the Karen people. Next they want to forcibly sent 1.4 million Burmese back (They need the jobs, even though Abhisit claims almost full employment) and next they will send the army in again instead of riot police.

This government does not only spit on tourism but also on foreign investment, all in the name of the huge stimulus package that is suffering from immense corruption.

remember, this is also a time for local gangs to get even with their counterparts, in fact it's the biggest threat of all. It can happen anywhere.

You mean just like under the "war on drugs" program when the police killed their competitors? I do not think so. This is just about a group of super rich and elitist trying to teach the poor a lesson. They have nothing but insulted the rural poor and every protest that they organize is wiped under the carpet because it is about Thaksin.

Thaksin might be a factor but in the North and North East is absolutely not the main factor anymore. It is about the fact that a large group of citizens are robbed of their votes and about the fact that they are called stupid.

If violence breaks out, it is simply because Anupong and friends feel threatened by the masses. I have not seen one violent demonstration by the opposition, something the yellow shirted people cannot claim. The protest gone wrong during songkran last year in Pattaya had everything to do with a large group of black and blue shirts send in by suthep and Newin who beat the hel_l out of the red shirt protestors.

Nobody seem to understand that you better leave things alone. The courts do not have any validity, this particular high court (administrative) was put in place by the junta.

the more various scenarios are discussed the more precaution will take place. Thais are not that ignorant. I'm glad when nothing happens. Some seem to think in the opposite.

When I warned a friend in 1992 he ignored my advice of not to go near the mob and army. He liked to jog in the morning was in a good shape, but got shot in the back and was 3 weeks in coma. The Nation still has the incidence in archive I think. It was headline for many days.

remember, this is also a time for local gangs to get even with their counterparts, in fact it's the biggest threat of all. It can happen anywhere.

You mean just like under the "war on drugs" program when the police killed their competitors? I do not think so. This is just about a group of super rich and elitist trying to teach the poor a lesson. They have nothing but insulted the rural poor and every protest that they organize is wiped under the carpet because it is about Thaksin.

Thaksin might be a factor but in the North and North East is absolutely not the main factor anymore. It is about the fact that a large group of citizens are robbed of their votes and about the fact that they are called stupid.

If violence breaks out, it is simply because Anupong and friends feel threatened by the masses. I have not seen one violent demonstration by the opposition, something the yellow shirted people cannot claim. The protest gone wrong during songkran last year in Pattaya had everything to do with a large group of black and blue shirts send in by suthep and Newin who beat the hel_l out of the red shirt protestors.

Nobody seem to understand that you better leave things alone. The courts do not have any validity, this particular high court (administrative) was put in place by the junta.

I'm referring to the so called third hands and criminals who want to get even with someone. It has nothing to do with the red shirts demo.

Common sense is all that need be applied. Ignorance will cause unecessary injury, stupidity will cause worse. Get a grip here eveyone and exercise your common sense. This is an internal dispute that has nothing to do with injuring any expats if you simply observe the goings-on and act rationally, IMHO

why did he put the gun against your head?

the best thing in Thailand is to avoid confrontations.

I agree with you TheRavens

They are exercising due diligence in putting out this warning.

You know if they did not put out the warning and something

went wrong they would be chastised for not warning people.

Guess people are not happy either way.

Me too, I agree with TheRavens.

Concerning the red shirts: somnamnaa... Don't blame anyone else than yourself for bringing this country down as you will protest against a court ruling against one of your biggest thieves you ever had in your country: much worse than Chavalit... OPEN YOUR EYES and let the creep die... Be now for one time mature and clever: save your own country and behave! Thieves should be in jail and return what they have stolen!

And take it from me: once thief, always thief...

You want to remain in poverty? Call this thief back and die...

why did he put the gun against your head?

the best thing in Thailand is to avoid confrontations.

The best thing is to avoid Thailand...