60,000b Minimum Income For Work Permit

i have been reading that there is a minimum income required of 60,000 baht per month for an american who wants to get a work permit here. i just acquired a new job, which is trying to get me a work permit, but they are only paying me 50,000b per month. are they going to be able to do this? will they have to give me a raise?

Nope it's 100% not for the WP, it's ONLY for the Visa extension. So you'll get a WP but you won't get the extension (thus you'll have to leave every 90 days, come back and extend your WP in turn with your Visa!).

And us teachers are exempt from it, which I assume is the work you're doing Girlsee?

Nope it's 100% not for the WP, it's ONLY for the Visa extension. So you'll get a WP but you won't get the extension (thus you'll have to leave every 90 days, come back and extend your WP in turn with your Visa!).

And us teachers are exempt from it, which I assume is the work you're doing Girlsee?

Ken, just because you don't qualify for a one year stamp because of salary does not neccessarily mean you have to do border runs. Immigration can still stamp you in for up to 90 days each time. This is according to CM Immigration.

Plus, girlx earlier advertised her old job here that she says pays 20,000 a month, with a WP... So I wonder why she seems so confused now, since she seems to have already known that you can get a WP with less than the minimums....

Edited by Ajarn

What we are talking here are MINIMUM SALARIES REQUIRED WHEN APPLYING FOR NON-IMMIGRANT VISA EXTENSIONS

The current minimum salary scale has been in effect since 1 July 2004 and applies to employees in profit-making businesses. Employees with lower monthly salaries in other professions, such as teachers, can apply for non-immigrant visa extensions and work permits for employment in Thailand if they are able to provide an official letter of confirmation from a relevant government agency. ...

This is one point. Another, for US-citizens the minimum is Baht 60,000 p.m.

Ahem girlx, yo did not say in what kind of company you work, but, not really legal

the employer could DECLARE your income as 60K, dedut and pay taxes on it but in fact pay less to you.

Interesting is as well this story:

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=10&tt_news=526

Interesting URL (and info), Axel. Is this really true?

I have read hints about this before (minimum income, etc), but I am amazed if this is really true. If so, Thailand and their rules can kiss my buttocks. Who the "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" would want to put up with this mierda. Move to another country is what I say. Thailand is a country of two classes... the rich and the poor. Oh yeah, and the middle class Bangkonians who think they are rich, well, do the cost of living, they are actually poor too.

Warning too all... unless you enjoy a different BG every night, move to another country.

hate me if u wish... rebuttals are welcome.

Employees with lower monthly salaries in other professions, such as teachers, can apply for non-immigrant visa extensions and work permits for employment in Thailand if they are able to provide an official letter of confirmation from a relevant government agency. ...

Really and this would be? As I've not taken anything different to Immigration in the last year or so?

i knew English teachers were exempt from this, but i am not an English teacher. i had read a few places it was required for the work permit but now i understand it is for the visa extension and i will have to leave every 3 months (ugh, that's really expensive). http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=0entry343179

My last employer paid me under 60K as a Farang. Their solution was to include housing, meals, laundry, petrol (whatever it may be) and any other expenses as 'income' to make up the additional income. Thus I had 60K minus all my expenses and was "paid" the remainder = my salary.

May work???

Good luck.

no seriously... is there a way around it other than giving me a raise? i kind of hope not. :o

I work in a family business that receives BOI incentive which includes quota for number of foreign employees allowed for employment under incentive. My annual visa renewal application is processed and approved by BOI first before the new visa is issued at the immigration. My wife who works in the same company and handles all my visa/work permit matters told me nowhere in the process of the application at both BOI and immigration do they require that I declare my income. My present salary is B50,000 +, not filling B60,000 minimum requirement for Japanese citizen but I still got my Non-Immi B visa renewed, got one year extention and renewed WP last year and again this year just last month.

no seriously... is there a way around it other than giving me a raise? i kind of hope not. :o

I work in a family business that receives BOI incentive which includes quota for number of foreign employees allowed for employment under incentive. My annual visa renewal application is processed and approved by BOI first before the new visa is issued at the immigration. My wife who works in the same company and handles all my visa/work permit matters told me nowhere in the process of the application at both BOI and immigration do they require that I declare my income. My present salary is B50,000 +, not filling B60,000 minimum requirement for Japanese citizen but I still got my Non-Immi B visa renewed, got one year extention and renewed WP last year and again this year just last month.

When you file your tax report every year, you have to declare your income to the tax dept. When you renew your work permit and extend your stay the following year, they require a copy of your tax report. So they know exactly what you earned (or what you said you earned).

When you file your tax report every year, you have to declare your income to the tax dept. When you renew your work permit and extend your stay the following year, they require a copy of your tax report. So they know exactly what you earned (or what you said you earned).

Apparently that has never been requested in my case. Not once in the past six years have I submitted anything issued from the Revenue Dept. for visa/WP renewal/extention, said my wife.

Nordlys,

Is your wife Thai as that can effect the requirements?

My wife is Thai but that won't effect the requirement, according to my wife.

I really don't know the details but it's a different set of requirements when visa/WP application is processed at BOI and they wouldn't know through the application what nationality my wife is, she said. My wife said once my application is approved by BOI, it's an automatic renewal/extention at both immigration/labor dept. one-stop service desk at Krisada Plaza on Rachadaphisek Rd., (which are next doors to each other at Krisada Plaza on Rachadaphisek Rd.)

Edited by Nordlys

rrrg. again, i can't get a multiple entry b visa (kenkannif), which is why it's expensive to do the border run because i have to go to laos or penang and spend 3 days.

i would not like my employer to lie and say they pay accom/meals etc. if they don't... seems unfair to the worker. either pay me what's required by law or don't and i will find a better job. (if it were that easy).

Minimum salary requirements for expatriates in Thailand

according to Immigration Bureau regulations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country/area of nationality Minimum monthly salary (baht)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Current

(since 1/7/04)

Canada, Japan, United States

40,000 60,000

Europe (inc. United Kingdom), Australia

35,000 50,000

Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan

35,000 45,000

India, Malaysia, Middle East

30,000 45,000

China, Indonesia, Philippines

25,000 - 30,000 35,000

Africa (all), Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Viet Nam

20,000 25,000

Persons working for newspapers in Thailand

12,000 20,000

Above are the rules for immigration if you want to extent your stay up to one year from date of first entry, showing the minimum before and after July 2004.

Actually same, as inmy previous link to TV-page.

Yes kenkannif. the interview was later put in doubt, I heard, but not the figures ruled by the immigration office. Mind you, we are talking about profit-making enterprises.

From my personal experience, I do supply every year all company documentation incl. tax reports, VAT-reports of the company as well as my personal income tax-report. And yes, my monthly salary is above the 50 K required for Europeans.

Once extention granted by the immigration the labour dept. extents the WP without hassle.

rrrg. again, i can't get a multiple entry b visa (kenkannif),

Gotcha!

which is why it's expensive to do the border run because i have to go to laos or penang and spend 3 days.
Two nights in Penang. Laos (if you get it) should be next day.
i would not like my employer to lie and say they pay accom/meals etc. if they don't... seems unfair to the worker.  either pay me what's required by law or don't and i will find a better job.  (if it were that easy).

It's not required by law per se, just by Immigration to extend your Visa.

not sure why you are arguing with me about this but no... if i take the train to penang on a monday, i get there tuesday afternoon, too late to apply at the embassy. so the application goes in wednesday, i can pick up the visa friday. too late to get the train back to bangkok so i leave saturday. that's actually 6 days, and very expensive.

if i go to laos, i take the train on tuesday night, get there wednesday morning & apply, and supposedly can get my visa back thursday afternoon, in time to take the sabaidee bus back to bangkok. still expensive but much less time. this is why on another thread i asked what is the hassle with vientiane issuing non-imm b visas.

if i had a multi-entry i could just make a run to cambodia after the initial one- cheaper and less time. but alas.

thanks for trying to help anyway.

Have a look at Air Asia they do cheap flights to near Penang, that way it shouldn't take you so long.

I thought you were referring to time in the country, as opposed to transit time.

which is why it's expensive to do the border run because i have to go to laos or penang and spend 3 days.
My apologies, I wasn't arguing!

Visa run really though.

Also as far as I know this has changed recently:

get there wednesday morning & apply, and supposedly can get my visa back thursday afternoon,

I've sent people in the last week or so and they're saying it's TWO nights minimum stay there now. So Wednesday morning pick up Friday. Although to be fair this was for a triple tourist, but it was via an agent....you might, for a few Quid, be able to get it quicker.

Depart Bangkok 16 May at 0725 via FD5116 arrive Penang 1005

Depart Penang 17 May at 2220 via FD5119 arrive Bangkok 2300

Current price 1,299 each way.

If concerned about late flights schedule return on 18 May (and likely get on earlier flight if visa in hand).

One to three nights stay depending on your comfort factor.

Nordlys,

Why do are you getting a work permit when you already have a Thai passport? Why don't you go to HK or Singapore for the weekend (leaving on your Japanese PP) and then fly back in on your Thai PP.