Beware The ‘kryptik’ Trojan.

bdenner

This morning my PC was attacked by a variant of the ‘Kryptik’ Trojan some how got through NOD32 initially but was picked up later. Too late damage done, the only way I could get into my machine was via a boot CD. It corrupted the boot.ini file (Xp Prof SP3) although on initial inspection it looked OK but it wasn’t until I built a new file was I able to get past the ‘Disk Error’ message I received on boot up and get in to finish cleaning the mess. A heart stopping couple of hours.

Note:

Look at your C:\Windows\system32

Look for 3 files NLx.EXE

x = B, C, D,

Delete them or if unsure move them to another ‘Junk’ folder.

Then

Look at your C:\Windows\Prefetch folder

Look for 3 files starting with NLx.EXE they will look something like NLB.EXE-1E7655f5.pf

x = B, C, D,

Delete them or if unsure move them to another ‘Junk’ folder.

After they have done their damage they get moved to your ……\Local Settings\Temp\ folder as NLD.EXE. It was on the move that NOD32 detected their presence.

KEEP A COPY OF YOUR ‘boot.ini’ file on a memory stick as there are many viruses out there that attack it.

Edited by bdenner

How exactly did you got infected? Did you run any executable?

No I definitely did not run a new executable and normally make a point of scanning anything I (knowingly) download. When NOD 32 alerted me to the problem I was given options on what to do so I selected delete and clean. i was asked to reboot and could not get past "Disk Error" on the boot up stage. F8 was useless so no entry to the 'SAFE MODE'.

And don't use NOD32 !

First time in many years it has let me down, they all have idiosyncrasies can you tell me what the 'PERFECT' solution is?

And don't use NOD32 !

First time in many years it has let me down, they all have idiosyncrasies can you tell me what the 'PERFECT' solution is?

No antivirus solution offers 100% protection against zero-day malware. Definition based scanners don't work since even the best lab cannot provide immediate updates. Heuristic and behavioral scanners can detect unknown malware but still nowhere close to 100%.

Currently I am testing ThreatFire (behavioral protection, highest level) and Avira (heuristics set to highest level) and during my tests a newly published malware still got through. And ThreatFire is causing all kind of annoyances at this level (slow downs and even crashing some apps).

Personally I think NOD32 is hyped in Thailand, but serious reviews always rank it among the TOP10 antivirus solutions, so it is surely a good enough product.

welo