Gamers Mouse

j634

Hi all,

Need help with deciding what mouse to buy. I now use an optical, but it is very slow on response time. I like to play games FPS. Need something good and fast. Cost not much of an issue.

Requirements would be something of general purpose. I will use the mouse for everything. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Don't care if it is wireless, corded etc..

Thanks all :o

j634 - Have you checked and tried adjusting the mouse's pointer speed response time? (Refer START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>MOUSE)

All game developers take into consideration "average" computer limitations (make, OS, processor speed, etc.) which the majority of their customers own, therefore a standard wired or optical mouse should work fine. (If game developers only depended on their customers having the latest and greatest game machines, they'd be out of business in no-time.)

If adjusting mouse response speed doesn't help, you might want to reinstall the optical mouse software again. In any event, post back changes you note, after above suggested adjustments.

cheers :o

What brand/model mouse are you using at the moment?

Some suggestions:

If you want wireless, get the MX Laser mouse by Logitech. It uses a "laser" so it's even more accurate.

If you don't want wireless, get the gaming mouse from Logitech or you might want to try the Razer Boomslang.

Of course, you'll also want to pair your mouse up with a good mousepad. I use the eXactMat X control by Razer with my MX Laser.

as mentioned above, I think the wireless logitech lazer mouse is the industry leader, I got one when they were released and have had no problems @ all. Latency is not an issue, used to play FPS games @ a national level when I woz a kid, and can safely say its the best mouse I have ever used :o

Tried the settings change can't see any difference. Thanks for the tip Waldwolf.

I use an LG LM5500. Cheap mouse, but ok for documents etc...

I will go and look at the other mice suggested.

Any idea on price range for the Logitech and Razer? Thanks

Kind of a tangent here. While the Logitech MX1000 laser mouse (cordless) is probably considered the best mouse, I stay away from cordless mice. One thing the mice manufacturers have yet to learn from the racing industry is weight kills acceleration. Batteries in the mouse add mass and require more effort to move them around. Sounds as if latency issues have (finally) been resolved at least in this model. However I also dislike all the extra mess of cabling, power brick, and to top it off having to remember to put it in the recharge slot. So I see them as being just full of disadvantages and don't give any real benefits IMhO. Dunno how much the MX1000 is in the Thailand, but it's about $50 in the US for reference.

A wireless mouse is actually not suited to FPS games, since they do not have high polling rates, which means they don't update their position as often as corded mice. They max out at around 100 times/sec while a corded mouse can do 500+ times/sec. This is because while the receiving base communicates with the computer at any speed it likes, the mouse is transmitting at a set rate in order to preserve battery power. You can test this with the program "mouserate": set your port (ps2 or USB) to any polling rate you like, you'll always get the same update (polling) rate with your cordless mouse.

For a ps2 port, you can change the polling rate from within the hardware properties page of your mouse. For a USB port, it's not as obvious, but you can get a program, usbmrs11, to change the polling rate from the default of 125 to 250, 500, or more.

So if you want great accuracy, get the logitech 518 Gaming-Grade mouse, a corded mouse. With a cordless mouse, the mouse itself may be accurate, but it's wasted in the cordless interface.

I'm not a games fanatic (not action games, anyhow) - but I've found that a trackball handles the range of what I want really well, whether games or "straight" stuff. Mine is the Logitech "Marble Mouse" and is not cordless (I don't need to move the mouse so that's fine for me). Once you get used to it, your index finger really gets that control ball moving.........

Edited by Steve2UK

I'm not a games fanatic (not action games, anyhow) - but I've found that a trackball handles the range of what I want really well, whether games or "straight" stuff. Mine is the Logitech "Marble Mouse" and is not cordless (I don't need to move the mouse so that's fine for me). Once you get used to it, your index finger really gets that control ball moving.........

Most hard core gamers use a Trackball, no hand movement so your hand doesnt get tired and much more accurate because you are only moving your thumb.

Greg