Can My I-tunes Library Be Used On Linux Similar Software?

Richb2004v2

Is it possible for any Linux music packages to access my i-tunes library and play them directly without effecting the i-tunes version? I have my i-tunes library stored on external hard drive and would like it if my Linux system could use the same files for its library. I've tried it with Rhythmbox which could not recognise them. i-tunes is one of the few applications that keep me using Windows.

Audacious seems a little limited. Banshee looks good though. I've managed to have it access my i-tunes library and link to it, although I've yet to ensure that it has not effected it in any way/ I hope not. Now I need to get to grips with the Podcast function. If I can get that to work efficiently I may be on the way to canceling another Windows reliance. The podcast function says to paste the URL. I am not even sure what a URL is. I've tried the www address of the webcast site/page but it hasn't worked yet.

I've found Banshee to be a brilliant application. It have linked flawlessly with my i-tunes library without disrupting it. It has actually bettered i-tunes by picking up cover artwork that i-tunes could not. If I can only work out the podcast function it will be fantastic.

Only certain podcasts are made available via a URL. Most use Itunes to handle that and there is no way for Banshee to access them.An example of where Banshee can subscribe to a vodcast can be found at http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/vodcast.htm If the provider chooses to host the podcasts themselves and have a link available on their website then you will be OK. Unfortunately most do not seem to do this from what I can see.

Another option is to use WINE or another windows simulator which people have had moderate success with. For me this is the only reason I stick with a dual boot systemrunning windows and ubuntu.