Thai Movies To Own

Hello,

I'll be soon in Thailand and think to buy some vcd/dvd thai movies.

But, the big question is, what are the good movies I must absolutely watch?

I had the occasion to watch, not a so long time ago, Blissfully yours and Bangkok Dangerous.

I really loved both, even if Blissfully is quite special, compared to the movies we use to see in Europe.

Thanks for your good advices.

David

Hello,

I'll be soon in Thailand and think to buy some vcd/dvd thai movies.

But, the big question is, what are the good movies I must absolutely watch?

I had the occasion to watch, not a so long time ago, Blissfully yours and Bangkok Dangerous.

I really loved both, even if Blissfully is quite special, compared to the movies we use to see in Europe.

Thanks for your good advices.

David

My favorite thai movie of all time is "Fa Talai Jone".

I beleive it went by the English name "Tears of the black tiger" on the film festival circuit.

Bang Rajan and Suriothai should be in your collection (although I am not a huge fan of them).

Ong Bak (who doesn't like this !!)

Mekong Full Moon Party.

Bridge over the River Kwai..not thai, but thai related..is a classic.

Edited by penelope

Meu Peun Lok Pra Jan มือปืน/โลก/พระ/จัน - action comedy that a lot of others have tried to follow

Naang Naak นางนาก - classic ghost story, done very well for the film version

"Homerong" โหมโรง ("the Overture" in English) - historical drama, with great musical sequences on the "ranad"

Ong-Bak, definitely! Satree-lek (Iron ladies) 1 & 2 are hilarious. Jaew isn't bad either but I was very drunk when I watched it! Avoid 'Gecko' it's gotta be the worst film I've ever seen, and Demonic beauty's worth a look.

For starters..............'The Macabre case of Phrom Piran' (sp) a re-telling of an infamous rape case about 27 years ago.

Warning: It's very uncomfortable to watch this with your girlfriend as it's quite a shocking movie.

Also in the vein of 'mentally challenged' is the very touching and yet still humorous 'I Fak' or 'The Judgement'

I also recommend 'Siam Renaisance' as a bit of a historical jaunt.

'She's Ann' has the infamous 'Nong Nat' squeezing her massive rack into a uni girls shirt!!!! :o

'The Shutter' is Ok for a scary type.

Hello,

Thank you very much for all those titles. If you have more, I'm still listening  :o

For the web site to order some movies, I have also found today http://yesasia.com in the ads by Google on the top of this page. They also deliver worldwide, I don't know if they are good or not.

David

That Yes Asia site looks, seems, feels and is; a disguised version of amazon.com but with Asia shipping, aweome.

Homerong / The Overture (as described above)

Fun Bar Karaoke (everyday life story with some mystical overtones from Bangkok middle class, the title in English is misleading, "fun bar" is a transcription of a thai phrase meaning 'weird/crazy' dreams)

Satang (WW2 era adventure)

Jan Dara (based on a famous Thai novel [of which there aren't many])

Gumphaaphan (February) - about a Thai girl who loses her memory while visting New York and is taken in by a fellow Thai there. Beautiful.

Faen Chun (My Girl) - a childhood nostalgia trip for Thais who were born approx. between 68-79. Very cute.

As for Suriyothai, I think it's overrated, it is only worth seeing for the costumes and historical environments, the storyline is slow, rather confusing, and uninteresting.

"Ong Bak" of course - this is doing its rounds worldwide now (dubbed I think?) in cinemas

"On Collee Man" (spelling?) - Indian epic in Thai about the legend of a man (name is same as film title) who was convinced by a demon to kill 1,000 people to 'free them from suffering'. Set at the time Buddha was on the earth - excellent movie.

Theres a film about a little boy that takes 3 elephants (mothe and two babies) right across Thailand from his little village to BKK. Very funny and a few teary bits to boot. Can't remember the name though, sorry.

"The Eye". A bit like 6th Sence, but much scarier. I nearly shat myself in the lift scene! I think its a Japanese film, but set mostly in LoS.

That's all I can think of at the moment - maybe more later.

This is something i've always considered... but i would defiantely need films with either English soundtrack or English subtitles as my Thai wouldnt be good enough for me to understand whats going on in the films else...

I presume were talking films with English here though, right?

I think you can get most films on DVD evetuall;y with English Dub or Subtitles, but only if you want to pay that much. Some cinemas will play the subtitled versions, some don't, I've noticed.

Mostly, I find the films are watchable with even a quite modest understanding of Thai - its usualy fairly obvious. I would avoid court dramas though or any movie that is all dialogue (not that many Thai movies are dialogue heavy from my experience - or maybe I just avoid them).

I think you can get most films on DVD evetuall;y with English Dub or Subtitles, but only if you want to pay that much. Some cinemas will play the subtitled versions, some don't, I've noticed.

Mostly, I find the films are watchable with even a quite modest understanding of Thai - its usualy fairly obvious. I would avoid court dramas though or any movie that is all dialogue (not that many Thai movies are dialogue heavy from my experience - or maybe I just avoid them).

I have to disagree with you on this.

I think very few Thai movies make it to DVD.

You may see the latest releases at your local Blockbuster but many classics from the last few years will probably never have an English soundtrack.

This site has hundreds of titles

thaimegamart.com

Edited by poolcleaner

(wolf5370 @ 2005-05-13 18:32:04)

I have to disagree with you on this.

I think very few Thai movies make it to DVD.

You may see the latest releases at your local Blockbuster but many classics from the last few years will probably never have an English soundtrack.

This site has hundreds of titles

thaimegamart.com

You're probably right - they are often released with subtitles though (maybe on VCD rather than DVD?).

I tend to watch the Thai versions, but have sometimes bought VCD copied with English subtitles added. Often not on display, but if you ask they someimes have them.

PS: VCD subtitles can't be turned off, they've been added to the film.

PPS: Agree about Fon from BKK Dangerous - Howlllll!

Edited by wolf5370

Hello,

This is something i've always considered... but i would defiantely need films with either English soundtrack or English subtitles as my Thai wouldnt be good enough for me to understand whats going on in the films else...

Unfortunately, from what I saw until now, most of thai movies don't have any subtitle. Only a few have.

I don't even talk about other languages like french for exemple :o

Hello,

Unfortunately, from what I saw until now, most of thai movies don't have any subtitle. Only a few have.

I don't even talk about other languages like french for exemple :o

At least 80% of Thai VCDs are in Thai only.

Even though the theatre screening will have English sub-titles you will still find it hard to get them on VCD!!

Tsutaiya (sp) and Blockbuster regularly sell of their VCDs so you would probably be better served asking for their help.

I buy dozens of Thai VCDs off the street at 3 for 100 Baht and while my Thai is poor I don't usually suffer from not comprehending the storyline. (yes it does say something about Thai storylines!).

Found some sites that list some rated Thai movies - might throw up some titles you weren't aware of:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal...w=public&uc=296

(looks like it's kept regularly updated with Thai movie info)

The links below can be accessed from the above site:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal...iew&listid=2359

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=332227

(looks like a very knowledgeable forum about Thai movies)

http://www.geocities.com/curtis_winston/thaifilm-page1.html

(someone's personal list)

Edited by Steve2UK