Thai Driving Licence

murni

My first years licence is about to expire. Can someone please tell me what paperwork I need to take(doctors letter?) to get it renewed & can I do it a few days before expiry?

Thank you

My first years licence is about to expire. Can someone please tell me what paperwork I need to take(doctors letter?) to get it renewed & can I do it a few days before expiry?

Thank you

The medical certificate and you may need proof of residential address. You have to have a valid non-immigrant visa. This time you can get a 5 year license.

Thank you

in Chiang Mai last year I went only with my passport, 2 picture (can be taken there, same place as photocopies) and the old licence. On the first floor right side counter, the lady told me which copies they want, did that at the stalls at the back of the building, then it is just about moving from counter to counter and waiting for a while (I was done in a total of one hour). And ask for the 5 year licence (500THB I think?). I found that afternoons (close around 3 or 3:30) are less crowded, but that could just have been that day.

I had to go back to get a duplicate (lost my licenec) a few month ago. Just brought passeport, pics and police report (for the lost licence).

Good luck,

Holm

Edited by holm188

The medical certificate and you may need proof of residential address. You have to have a valid non-immigrant visa. This time you can get a 5 year license.

Sorry Dr I dissagree!

He will not require a medical cert. but will require a Immigration Office letter confirming visa status and residential address. The license will only be renewed for one year (Thais moving the goal posts again) as the Immigration Office is using this measure to keep an eye on us longer term stayers. I have just been thru this proceedure after my 3rd renewal. :o

I renew my license next month. I am told they require a medical certificate (up here anyway) if you are in possesion of a retirement extension. It's no big deal for me anyway as I need one to renew my visa extension around the same time. I was not aware that the 5 year license is not now available for farangs.

For a renewal I only needed my passport, old license and 2 photos. (Photocopies and photos can all be done outside at the back). My very first renewal I was given only 1 year, after that I received 5 yrs. Not receiving 5 yrs might have something to do with putting down a different address than you originally applied with - not sure only an idea.

Although it didn't apply for the first renewal as I still had same address - apparently most/all first renewals only get one year. Didn't have any problems last time, even though license expired already for 3 months.

I got my 5 year license from Chiang Mai a couple of weeks back, with no problems (with a different address to my original one)...

I didn't need a medical certificate, just the letter from immigration, photos and my passport. Friendly and helpful people, apart from language problems...

Interestingly my license is actually for nearly 6 years as it is 5 years from my next birthday...

I wouldn't recommend eating at the little food shop at the back of the Chiang Mai license place though - the worst meal I've had in Thailand!

They ARE asking for a medical in some offices. Are George and I blessed with good luck ?  We both have 5 year licenses.

You obviously are, 3 months ago I was told in no uncertain terms, by the Nong Khay Immigration Office, that a 5 year license for farang was no longer available and would have to produce a clearance every year, this was confirmed at the Nong Han licensing centre. I've always used the same address on my previous licenses. ---- Might be an Isaan thing???

On the previous 2 renewals I only required my passport and 2 photos. This year I had to produce the Imm Office clearance as well and this was my 1st attempt at getting the 5 year option.

I stand by my signature!!!! :o

Ok heres my bit.

I went with my missus to the office on the Hang dong rd with my old one year license.

Paid the fee and hung around for an hour or so no letter from immigration or doctors note ( if you do want one call in at the hospital on the way there near Tesco's as long as you are warm and walking you will get one).

I did have to have a colour blindness test and that was it.

I have two 5 year license;s one for a pick up etc. and one for a motorbike.

This was last year though so a phone call may be in order to check if the rules have changed.

~

As with immigration, everyone who goes to the window has a different experience I suppose.

I just renewed both my mcy and car licenses at the Hang Dong Rd office with nothing more than my passport and photos. As with immigration, I have never been asked for any kind of medical cert and the statement from immigration was only required at first application.

Your first license is for a year and if you renew before it expires, you will get another year. If you wait for it to expire, they will give you a five year renewal. I and two of my falang friends were advised to come back after the expiration date to be eligible for the 5 year... It is amazing what a wai and a genuine smile does to grease the wheels...

• 3 years later...

Found this old, moldy, thread from 3.5 years ago in the ThaiVisa basement. I figured that, since my Thai Driving License is coming up for renewal, that it could use a "refreshing."

If anyone here has recent experience renewing their driving license, could you please tell me what paperwork / documents are currently required?

Found this old, moldy, thread from 3.5 years ago in the ThaiVisa basement. I figured that, since my Thai Driving License is coming up for renewal, that it could use a "refreshing."

If anyone here has recent experience renewing their driving license, could you please tell me what paperwork / documents are currently required?

As per details on this link:

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/drivers.asp

except that you now don't need to supply photo's - they will take a digital photo and incorporate it on the new smart card style of licence. You should sign all the copies.

Your first license is for a year and if you renew before it expires, you will get another year. If you wait for it to expire, they will give you a five year renewal. I and two of my falang friends were advised to come back after the expiration date to be eligible for the 5 year... It is amazing what a wai and a genuine smile does to grease the wheels...

Yeap exactly my experience in Rayong, was told the same thing, if you renew your 1 year D/L before the expiry date, they will give you another 1 year, wait till it expires and then you can get the 5 year....go figure...but TIT

Sorry Dr I dissagree!

He will not require a medical cert. but will require a Immigration Office letter confirming visa status and residential address. The license will only be renewed for one year (Thais moving the goal posts again) as the Immigration Office is using this measure to keep an eye on us longer term stayers. I have just been thru this proceedure after my 3rd renewal. :o

and i disagree that you disagree :D just recently (Pattaya 16 july) i obtained a 5-year license after my first 1-year license expired. medical certificate was needed. perhaps at different offices different rules apply or those in charge say "ah, a farang. let's throw dice which will decide what he needs and what he will get". :D

I picked up my renewal license, my one year license had run out. This from the office on Hang Dong road in Chiang Mai.

I provided my old license, both Thai and UK.

A valid medical cert, approx 50 baht.

A letter confirming residence, from Brit. Embassy, approx 2300 baht.

My passport containing a valid 1 yr Non-imm visa.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the cost of the photograph is 100 baht, it is taken upstairs, don't bother with the photographer downstairs unless you want the old style license.

I hope this clears things up for people in the Chiang Mai area.

except that you now don't need to supply photo's - they will take a digital photo and incorporate it on the new smart card style of licence. You should sign all the copies.

Thanks Steve. Just the info I was looking for.

Sorry Dr I dissagree!

and i disagree that you disagree :D just recently (Pattaya 16 july) i obtained a 5-year license after my first 1-year license expired. medical certificate was needed. perhaps at different offices different rules apply or those in charge say "ah, a farang. let's throw dice which will decide what he needs and what he will get". :D

I do hope you realize that your disputing information that was provided over 3 years ago Naam.

Thanks Steve. Just the info I was looking for.

Sorry Dr I dissagree!

I do hope you realize that your disputing information that was provided over 3 years ago Naam.

You're welcome :D .

[As to the rest, well - I've always thought the space-time continuum down in Pattaya must be way different than anything we have up here in in CM :D ]