People Can Teach English

Ayutthaya69

There are only 5 nationalities that can legally teach English in Thailand:

English, Australian, American, New Zealanders, Canadian.

However, non native speakers of English can find employment as an

English Teacher, but usually in a school with 50 kids in a class.

Not nice and low pay!

Not nice and low pay!

Not being a Thai basher, I must say that so called 'English speaking' Thai language skills are abominable. That is speaking about majority. There are exceptions.

The blame for this must be laid squarely at the feet of their teachers!

The Thai education system also does not help, being based on drilling, rather than understanding. Little emphasis on reading (not only in English) compounds the problem.

Learning English as a second language must include Grammar, Vocabulary, Lexics, Spelling, Phonetics. How many of the English language techers qualify for this?

The only prerequisit seems to be 'being a native speaker'. B. Shaw asked in 'My Fair Lady',- 'Why English can't speak?'.

I am not speaking about every one of them. This is not directed at YOU.

But the majority of so-called native speaker teachers really are lacking skills. :)

Ireland, South Africa, etc. There's no such law in Thailand that I ever heard of.

There certainly should not be. In many countries people speak much better English than so-called native born English. India, Malaysia and Sri Lanka or example. Some of the provincial dialects in the UK are incomprehensible to Thais as well as many Australians. The criteria for an English teachers should be how well and clearly they speak.

Ireland, South Africa, etc. There's no such law in Thailand that I ever heard of.

There certainly should not be. In many countries people speak much better English than so-called native born English. India, Malaysia and Sri Lanka or example. Some of the provincial dialects in the UK are incomprehensible to Thais as well as many Australians. The criteria for an English teachers should be how well and clearly they speak.

In my rather restricted view because I do not teach English for money, only in the family, it is not only how well one speaks English, but most certainly if one has the necessary educational skills to transfer knowledge from oneself to someone else.

Let us face it, be it UK English, Australian English, Indian English, American English, all have to do with accents.

In my view, but like I said I do have a restricted view and being a Dutchman will not help, someone able to speak "standard" English and would be the best bet.

But only if there are sufficient educational skills.

And for the Thai pupils, the additional skill to bind their attention for longer as 5 minutes.

Not nice and low pay!

Simply not true ....

Alot of native english speakers find the various British dialects incomprehensible as well as some Australians particularly from ciriculum challenged QLD in Australia's deep north. But the worst offenders of all are of course the Americans. As soon as you leave the West or East coast and drive inland you come across people who can barely speak any language! Most Americans have no idea what english grammar is and it shows in Hollywood movies. i gonna do this i goin to do that,runnin seeyun doin. Why do you think CNN rarely exposes viewers to any Americans except those from DC and NY who have had a decent education. Truly!

Alot of native english speakers find the various British dialects incomprehensible as well as some Australians particularly from ciriculum challenged QLD in Australia's deep north. But the worst offenders of all are of course the Americans. As soon as you leave the West or East coast and drive inland you come across people who can barely speak any language! Most Americans have no idea what english grammar is and it shows in Hollywood movies. i gonna do this i goin to do that,runnin seeyun doin. Why do you think CNN rarely exposes viewers to any Americans except those from DC and NY who have had a decent education. Truly!

Not nice and low pay!

Not being a Thai basher, I must say that so called 'English speaking' Thai language skills are abominable. That is speaking about majority. There are exceptions.

The blame for this must be laid squarely at the feet of their teachers!

The Thai education system also does not help, being based on drilling, rather than understanding. Little emphasis on reading (not only in English) compounds the problem.

Learning English as a second language must include Grammar, Vocabulary, Lexics, Spelling, Phonetics. How many of the English language techers qualify for this?

The only prerequisit seems to be 'being a native speaker'. B. Shaw asked in 'My Fair Lady',- 'Why English can't speak?'.

I am not speaking about every one of them. This is not directed at YOU.

But the majority of so-called native speaker teachers really are lacking skills. :)

Right you are. :-) Most of them can not speak the own language. The same problem we have in Germany. Terribel....

But the worst offenders of all are of course the Americans. As soon as you leave the West or East coast and drive inland you come across people who can barely speak any language! Most Americans have no idea what english grammar is and it shows in Hollywood movies. i gonna do this i goin to do that,runnin seeyun doin. Why do you think CNN rarely exposes viewers to any Americans except those from DC and NY who have had a decent education. Truly!
I went the one of the top ten state schools in Illinois. My unadjusted SAT verbal English score placed me in the top 3% nationally. You appear to show your own ignorance.

The worst teachers of English are Thais.

My first and only foray into teaching was a nightmare, about 10 years ago now.

It was in some small private 'language centre' in Bangkapi. Without any teaching qualifications whatsoever I was put into a classroom and told "teach English"...... "You can speak English so you can teach English". I had no idea what I was doing whatsoever.

I was given a booklet to work from which was full of grammatical errors: "I like go shopping", "I wanting watch movie" etc. I offered to correct it free of charge but the owner of the place was having none of it. His reasoning was that he had a degree whereas I didn't therefore he was right and I was wrong.

Perhaps the OP should try for a job there, he should fit in quite well.

B. Shaw asked in 'My Fair Lady',- 'Why English can't speak?'.

Sorry to be a pedant, but I'm going to be anyway!

George Bernard Shaw did not ask anything in My Fair Lady; which is a musical play, later film, based upon his play Pygmalion; book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe.

My Fair Lady does contain the song Why Can't the English Learn to Speak?, written by Lerner and Loewe, but as far as I can ascertain the line does not appear in Pygmalion.

B. Shaw asked in 'My Fair Lady',- 'Why English can't speak?'.

Sorry to be a pedant, but I'm going to be anyway!

George Bernard Shaw did not ask anything in My Fair Lady; which is a musical play, later film, based upon his play Pygmalion; book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe.

My Fair Lady does contain the song Why Can't the English Learn to Speak?, written by Lerner and Loewe, but as far as I can ascertain the line does not appear in Pygmalion.

Thank you at long last! I've been waiting all day for someone to correct that foolish error, but was hoping that a decent prathom 5 or 6 English student might come up with the right answer. Well done!

Seriously, that's the post of the day by far. :)