My Wedding Ring

Totster

Sorry but I forgot, why has Thai gold this yellow color and does not look like the one we have in the west?

All the "hi-so" Thai I know wear only white gold and hate yellow gold (isaan style), but is this white gold of a good quality in Thailand?

(and can it be resold as easy as yellow gold?)

Thanks.

A very high quality metal which wears better is platinum but for my taste its not as beautiful as gold.

IMHO Thai gold looks shit. It looks so YELLOW and cheap. Just my opion mind! Others will disagree. My missus has a white gold ring. Looks better IMO. So when we get our wedding rings it will be in the same metal. I like platinum but its expensive.

Sorry but I forgot, why has Thai gold this yellow color and does not look like the one we have in the west?

All the "hi-so" Thai I know wear only white gold and hate yellow gold (isaan style), but is this white gold of a good quality in Thailand?

(and can it be resold as easy as yellow gold?)

Thanks.

it depends on the alloy.

white gold has a silver alloy.

rose gold has a nickel alloy.

the hue of thai gold is due to the lack of alloy (22/23 ct), and hence the more pure gold color.this is also why it is softer.

If you want to maintain the high gold content but want better wear resistence then see if you can find a jeweler that has titanium as the alloying metal with the gold. A ver very small percent of titanium will give a gold more wear resistent than 18 karat gold made with copper as the alloy metal. I don't know what effect the titanium has on the color but as I recall they use less than 1% titanium so it seems reasonable that the color would not be effected much....but I don't know. I've heard that there are THai goldsmiths who use this alloy of gold but I have no direct experience of it.

Edited by chownah

white gold has a silver alloy.

rose gold has a nickel alloy.

Are you sure about this?

According to this

"This information page from Gillett's Jewellers, based on Australia's Gold Coast, taught us that white gold is an alloy of gold mixed with white metals such as nickel, silver, and palladium. Like yellow gold, white gold glitters in a variety of carats: 18ct, 14ct, or 9ct. "

"The author describes variations of the alloy known as white gold: 9-carat white gold consists of 3 parts gold to 5 parts silver, 18-carat is made with palladium. Adding nickel to a white gold/silver alloy can produce good color and hardness, but nickel is allergenic, and produces skin reactions in approximately 20% of the population. "

And

Rose, Red and Pink Gold Alloys

It is very simple to produce a gold alloy with a reddish colouration. All that is needed is to increase the proportion of copper in the mixture. To maintain the correct proportion of gold in the alloy, this usually means decreasing the silver content. In the past, many goldsmiths have reduced the silver content and increased the copper content to save cost, as copper is less expensive than silver.

We encounter many people who believe that red gold is old gold, and vice versa; also that old gold is better than new gold. Neither of these beliefs are accurate.

Certainly, some old gold was reddish, and some old gold is better than some new gold, but not necessarily.

So what is the difference between red, rose, and pink golds?

Only the name. All three are basically the same, although "rose" gold has a certain romantic marketing ring to it! Many goldsmiths use all three expressions interchangeably, as I do. However, the words rose and pink carry softer overtones, so I tend to use red to denote a deeper red, and pink or rose to denote a softer, warmer colour.

It is not often realised that there are only two metallic elements which are not silvery coloured. Gold is yellow, and copper is red. By adjusting the proportions of these metals, gold, silver and copper, it is possible to vary the colour from very pale yellow, usually called "green" gold, to a deep red, or to a deep gold.

Although I do agree with you white gold set with diamonds looks so much better on a woman as opposed to a man