Thai Immigration Boss Vows New Crackdown On Foreign Criminals In Thailand

george

With all due respect (or not) to board members, if this policy was strictly enforced, for 80% of all male foreigners living or visiting in the Kingdom, it would be Hasta-la-bye-bye...but of course, its not going to happen..

O.K. let me see if I understand your post. "80% of all male foreigners living or visiting in the Kingdom" are wanted International fugitives? What a stupid thing to post. Some people on this forum are absolutely brain dead.

I say thumbs up to the BiB for finally getting around to this new policy. It's about time they arrest and deport all the foreign scum that are hiding in Thailand. Whites, blacks, Russians, Americans, Canadians, Europeans, Asians, whatever... and Pattaya is a great place to start!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is related but just got turned away in Tampa Fl on Delta. My ticket was for return to USA over 30 days. Tampa, Fl USA to BKK. Been going 10 years, every-time my ticket was over 30 days (2-3 month ticket) Including my most recent visit in June. I guess now the rule is if you are a US citizen traveling to Thailand for more than 30 days you MUST have a visa and my passport is no longer acceptable if return is over 30 days. I wonder if the Thai government put that rule in recently, just added it or is it just a rule Delta put in because when Americans are forced back, The airline must pay the cost? I wonder if that is off subject but maybe has something to do with this thread. Needless to say I am not on my flight but will be there in 2 days and US$500 more for a forced change fee on Korean Air.

That has always been the rule. Normally Thai immigration doesn't check and leaves it up to the airline to check it. Some airlines check very strictly, some don't check at all. But next to you being denied entry, the airline will have to pay a fine and pay for your return if you are spotted by immigration.

Seems Delta is now more strict.

With all due respect (or not) to board members, if this policy was strictly enforced, for 80% of all male foreigners living or visiting in the Kingdom, it would be Hasta-la-bye-bye...but of course, its not going to happen..

80%? Just plain ridiculous. C'mon Moderators - deadwood like this needs to be cleaned out.

Not true at all.

First of all, none of my friends that live here have done any time, neither has any of my friends or relatives that have visited the nation.

Maybe you should move away a bit and get new friends?

Good response Mike, Its amazing how some people seem to know everything, Im no lawyer but Im sure smart enough to know that Thailand is not going to extradite you on child support and actually have an agent fly you home. i have heard that if you go to the US embassy to renew your passport or add pages that if you are in the system for any offences or behind on child support they can keep your passport and issue you travel papers back to the US to resolve these issues. I'm not sure this is true, but this is what I have heard. Mike do you know if this is true, I dont have any issues, just curious.

Eric, "Under Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, a passport, except for direct return to the United States, will not be issued in any case in which the applicant has been certified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services as notified by a state agency to be in arrears of child support in an amount exceeding $2,500.00. Your passport will be revoked if you fall under this regulation, including when you apply for additional pages, seek a renewal or process a Report of Birth application." (Quoted from U.S. State Department regulations)

However, it should be noted that certification by DHHS is not a simple or automatic process. Also, the term revoke has a very specific meaning:

"U.S. passports cannot be denied based on requests from private individuals... If a person applies for a U.S. passport or other consular services abroad, and that person's name does not clear the Passport Name Check System due to an outstanding child support obligation certified by HHS, the U.S. embassy or consulate will deny the request for a passport or revoke a passport already issued.

The person may be issued a limited validity passport which is also limited for return to the United States. "Revoke" means that the U.S. government has officially removed the passport from the person - it does not necessarily mean that the original passport (which may include multiple foreign visas) is destroyed or canceled. If there is a hold for HHS certified child support reasons, the passport will not be returned to the person until the name clears the passport lookout system. The formal passport revocation letter prepared by the U.S. embassy or consulate informs the person that the passport is legally revoked and he or she is not entitled to it until HHS gives the Department of State official permission."

So, yes, as it pertains to U.S. citizens, there is a possibility of having your passport revoked if you present it at a U.S. consulate or embassy and have child support payments that have been certified as in arrears.

Let's hope it's not just one more "crackdown" which will go nowhere. This one is needed.

In recent weeks the BIB raided a town house a few doors from us and arrested a guy who it turns out was a Korean mafia guy on the run from the police. He has since been turned over to the Korean police.

About 2 months ago the BIB arrived in force late one night and dragged off 3 black African guys who were living in an apartment block in the same complex as our town house. They had been in possession of and distributing fake $US banknotes.

Dude! You gotta move.

Indeed. Sounds like a very bad neighbourhood.

Let's hope it's not just one more "crackdown" which will go nowhere. This one is needed.

In recent weeks the BIB raided a town house a few doors from us and arrested a guy who it turns out was a Korean mafia guy on the run from the police. He has since been turned over to the Korean police.

About 2 months ago the BIB arrived in force late one night and dragged off 3 black African guys who were living in an apartment block in the same complex as our town house. They had been in possession of and distributing fake $US banknotes.

Dude! You gotta move.

BIB ??? What does that stand for please ? Breakfast In Bed :):D

cops in the USA for example, have jurisdiction ONLY in criminal matters, and CANNOT enforce traffic violations/ infractions...

I don't know what state you live in, but cops give out tickets for infractions and traffic violations in every state I've lived in and I've never heard of any place they don't.

LOL, that I know from experience. Two tickets in my life in the US, once for jaywalking the second for drinking a beer in the park with my friend. LOL, I felt worse for my friend. LOL, though. Both times from cops who thought they had to prove a point. In Cincinnati, which I will admit a bit of nostalgia for - for goetta and pony kegs.

Anyway my experience and that of many others belies that assertion about cops not being able to enforce minor laws. Heck in my families hometown in Kentucky the cops are too chicken**** (self-censored) to enforce laws other than if you've had a beer hauling you to jail, or better a few beers, or better still to intoxicated to fight back.

I never see the police here as my harassers as I did in the U.S. And if they enforce necessary laws and get really seriously bad people off the street, I say more power to them. Thailand should not be a refuge for serious criminals.

Granuaile (feeling too bold this morning)

It's good to know that the constabulary here are decent to an honest man, and that any ID I'm required to show can be shown as legitimately as I can carry it without ruining that passport which is too fragile and valuable to carry with me everywhere I go. I hope that this doesn't suddenly turn me into one of the 80% of baddies. I just want to protect my passport from getting destroyed. It's almost five years old already, and slightly dog-eared from all the use it gets put through when I move hotels, so let's not wreck a good thing. It's not even mine to wreck, but the property of the Australian government.

Your post reads like one of those children who just never lets up.......it also leaves me wondering exactly what part of the earth you are situated on Sean. Are you sure you are talking about Thailand? The words Constabulary, good, honest (twice) and legitamately don't normally go in one sentence here.

Actually if he is moving from hotel to hotel that frequently it makes me wonder. Anyway my passport remains in good shape despite carrying, deep in the netherworld of my purse, encased in a magical box... lol... Sean if you are here long tern why doesn't he rent a room or an apartment? They're much less expensive than a hotel. Anyway for me, if the police want to see my passport I am willing to oblige. After 9-11 I worried a lot about my ex. They were rounding people up willy-nilly, and my ex was a naturalized citizen but had a bit of an accent and was Filipina, so I worried she would get swept up. I told her to be careful and make sure I knew where her naturalization certificate was. I have never had a police officer here harass me or be rude to me, and if I am stopped I'll be polite and cooperate.

Instead of complaining, people should respect Thai law and Thai efforts at getting major criminals out of Thailand. Better for Thailand, and better for us living here. Guess it goes without saying I am OK with this new policy.

could be russian, chinese, japanese, white, black, baddies

dont assume its just ol whitey pattaya phuket

ALL

personally i would start with the ones that tattoo their heads

:)

as this is a sign of a baddie

I think,you will go the first - they will go by color:BLACK Jack!

"Wut" seems a pretty smart guy, he can speak English!

What is "Pattaya times"?, never heard of it?

Fugitives from the US pops up just about everywhere in the world, why? because the US is one of the most criminal countries in the world.

One wonders why it is, just a step across the border you arrive in Canada and you are suddenly in a country where relatively few crimes are comitted compared to US?

For one thing the US seems to criminalize almost everything. I wish we were not the country cited as having the highest percentage of it's population in prison, but a lot could be accomplished - merely IMHO - if we seriously revamped our laws, decriminalized some activities, lessened penalties for others, and if prisons focused more on rehabilitation rather than the punitive functions.

Granuaile

80%??????? Really?? Just where are YOU getting your statistics. I really need to know.

LOL, 80% fewer male foreigners in Thailand. That has a certain appeal to me....

55555 :) just kidding.... but....

The ONLY person I know in Thailand who has done any time,

was falsely accused and eventually let off with all charges dropped.

But not before the perpwalk in shackles he didn't deserve.

Most ex pats are pretty straight shooters except with the ladies in the candy store environment.

And even some of them are quite fair and straight forward. 80% bent, sorry don't think so.

There is a world of difference between being a bit wild and being a crook.

Not sure if this is related but just got turned away in Tampa Fl on Delta. My ticket was for return to USA over 30 days. Tampa, Fl USA to BKK. Been going 10 years, every-time my ticket was over 30 days (2-3 month ticket) Including my most recent visit in June. I guess now the rule is if you are a US citizen traveling to Thailand for more than 30 days you MUST have a visa and my passport is no longer acceptable if return is over 30 days. I wonder if the Thai government put that rule in recently, just added it or is it just a rule Delta put in because when Americans are forced back, The airline must pay the cost? I wonder if that is off subject but maybe has something to do with this thread. Needless to say I am not on my flight but will be there in 2 days and US$500 more for a forced change fee on Korean Air.

That has always been the rule. Normally Thai immigration doesn't check and leaves it up to the airline to check it. Some airlines check very strictly, some don't check at all. But next to you being denied entry, the airline will have to pay a fine and pay for your return if you are spotted by immigration.

Seems Delta is now more strict.

Sorry for the hijack but...

Whoa, hold on!. So if the airline doesn't spot that your paperwork is not in order they have to pick up the tab???

Because a couple years ago I forgot to stamp the reentry visa at Suvarnabhumi in the rush to catch an outbound flight to Macao, I got some attention from the AirAsia staff at Macao but it was just asking if they could see my passport without other explanations. On the return the immigration officer very sternly told me that I couldn't get in, the airline staff told me to go back out the country and do a new visa at the Thai embassy. I had to pay for a round trip to Kuala Lumpur myself, nobody told me that the airline was supposed to pay for it.

Most ex pats are pretty straight shooters except with the ladies in the candy store environment.

And even some of them are quite fair and straight forward. 80% bent, sorry don't think so.

There is a world of difference between being a bit wild and being a crook.

I agree with you. I don't like that attitude towards Thailand, as a "candy store," but these fellows are far from being criminals - most I have met are usually pretty decent fellows overall. I just wish people came here for all the other wonderful things Thailand has to offer.

...The crackdown will target more than 2,000 foreign nationals who have outstanding international arrest warrants against them and a list of about 1,000 foreign nationals with arrest warrants issued by Thai courts who have committed crimes while in Thailand...

source: pattaya-times.com

pattayatimeslogo.png

-- Pattaya Times 2010-02-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Wuthi clearly spelt out whom the police is after so I guess I and another 99.999% of the people reading this thread have nothing to worry about. But Wuthi also said this:

But there were be no let up on the requirement for all foreigners to carry their passport with them all times, he (Bureau commissioner Wuthi Liptapallop) said. "This is for identification purposes. It is a law. Every Thai national must carry their ID card with them at all times, so why should foreigners be exempt? To carry a copy is not acceptable because it is impossible to see whether it is counterfeit or altered. Carrying a passport is not something we thought up in Thailand, but a normal regulation in many countries. I have been to many countries and carried my passport with me all the time."

I wonder what, if any, effect this will have on regular foreigners in Thailand, i.e. foreigners for whom there is no arrest warrant. Has the police force been given instructions to stop foreigners more often on the street and check their passport?

Another question. Has this statement by Wuthi also been published in the Thai press? If so, perhaps if would be good to keep a copy of it. I have seen it mentioned that some businesses, for example renting motorcycles, ask to keep the passport as a guarantee and in such situation this newspaper copy could be shown to justify the refusal to leave the passport with them.

But there were be no let up on the requirement for all foreigners to carry their passport with them all times, he (Bureau commissioner Wuthi Liptapallop) said. "This is for identification purposes. It is a law. Every Thai national must carry their ID card with them at all times, so why should foreigners be exempt? To carry a copy is not acceptable because it is impossible to see whether it is counterfeit or altered. Carrying a passport is not something we thought up in Thailand, but a normal regulation in many countries. I have been to many countries and carried my passport with me all the time."

I wonder what, if any, effect this will have on regular foreigners in Thailand, i.e. foreigners for whom there is no arrest warrant. Has the police force been given instructions to stop foreigners more often on the street and check their passport?

Another question. Has this statement by Wuthi also been published in the Thai press? If so, perhaps if would be good to keep a copy of it. I have seen it mentioned that some businesses, for example renting motorcycles, ask to keep the passport as a guarantee and in such situation this newspaper copy could be shown to justify the refusal to leave the passport with them.

The passport you carry is your ID, tell them the truth, it belongs to your gov't.

I carry a few copies in my wallet and would never handover my passport to anyone except my embassy.

Tell the rental co. it's against the law for you to leave your passport with them.

The passport you carry is your ID, tell them the truth, it belongs to your gov't.

I carry a few copies in my wallet and would never handover my passport to anyone except my embassy.

Tell the rental co. it's against the law for you to leave your passport with them.

Correct!! I never have given any rental place my passport to hold, let them make a copy and then I draw a line through the copy and state what it is for, too easy for them to misplace your passport.

ALL

:)

a dumb retort

and i suspect you have a tattoo on your head

there used to be this english guy that tattooed his head using a mirror

when he went out to show all his mates they all said what does trebor mean :D

ALL

:D

a dumb retort

and i suspect you have a tattoo on your head

there used to be this english guy that tattooed his head using a mirror

when he went out to show all his mates they all said what does trebor mean :D

Good one, Jack. :)

OK, generally I think its a good idea (conceptually at least) - it will only be serious crimnes as they are the ones that have extradition treaties agreed (plus the cost of repatriation).

Few things that confuse me howeve.

If Thailand knows of these bad foreigners, then why are they allowing them to stay, extend their visas, re-enter on visa runs etc - every country I know reserves the rigth toi refuse entry to undesireables and Thailand certainly does as it used it against Gary Glitter a year or so ago.

Is Thailand really seen as the next best place (after Los Vegas) for a criminal to hide (American one presumeably)? It is not easy to stay here as we know. There are many countries not frindly to the USA, surely easier to find refuge there? Cuba? How about UAE or Philipines?

Personally I would like to see the more violent organised crime gangs removed (not that I have ever seen them here personally - but we all know they are here). It will be adopted by bthe home grown variety over time and that is not a nice prospect. Thai Mafiua is about extortion, drugs, brothels, gambing and monopoly, as is most others, but they don't tend to leave bodiless heads swinging from bridges. Violence sure, but grotuatous, overt, public? Rarely; usually the only feel of it is in the wallet when jumping in a Phuket tuktuk.

If there are 2-3000 foreign criminals here (2-3k as there may be some overlap between the two groups listed), that would make a pretty big dent in the population here - especially if they are groupoed in areas such a Patters.