Retirement Extension Requirements

I don't believe there is any set requirement. I have never been asked for anything - but that may be because changed from marriage to retirement and they have copy of blue book. Expect a letter addressed to you. Your Embassy letter of income with your address if using that. A note from GF/copy of her ID card/home register. Or you may not even be asked.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks much appreciated, that is what I was hoping, when I applied for my Thai driving licence they accepted a paper from the local Police as proof of residance.

One more question my non-immigration visa will expire on the 23rd June, when I return to Thailand in the middle of May I will get the usual 90 day stamp, is it possible to apply early June for the retirement extension of stay as I may have to travel overseas at the end of June for a short period.

Brian

If your Non-Immigrant visa is multiple entry then you will get new 90 day permission to stay on re-entry in mid-May taking you through to mid-August. Normally you should apply for extension of stay within the last 30 days of your current permission to stay. You can ask immigration if will process earlier, but as you will be back in the country in July(?) suspect they will suggest you obtain single re-entry permit (1,000 baht) that would preserve your mid-August permission to stay date on re-entry, and then apply for your extension within normal timescale.

Hello!

Any one who knows about retirement visa rules when from Denmark?

And I have seen that they maby will ask for a rental agreement-but I live whit my woman-soon my wife and it is all in her name-but I have a letter from Danish ambasy about my income and there is my adress and so-will that be acceptet.?

Brian

any ideas for UK? any info on the med cert??? please???

The UK charge a tad under 1900B for the letter, though it varies with the exchange rate and in any case is due for a modest increase on 6th April.

Of course the Brits being a very trusting race don't take your word for it, they want proof that the income actually exsists, they suggest a pension statement or bank statements as proof, though I believe they will accept other incomes. They used to give a letter on your total income but there have been some reports saying they will now only put the net income after tax, though I haven't had experience of this. Quite why the Thai Immigration will not accept the proof you have to show the embassy and cut out the middle man I really don't know, but them's the rules.

You don't have to provide a medical certificate to extend your stay.

any ideas for UK? any info on the med cert??? please???

The UK charge a tad under 1900B for the letter, though it varies with the exchange rate and in any case is due for a modest increase on 6th April.

Of course the Brits being a very trusting race don't take your word for it, they want proof that the income actually exsists, they suggest a pension statement or bank statements as proof, though I believe they will accept other incomes. They used to give a letter on your total income but there have been some reports saying they will now only put the net income after tax, though I haven't had experience of this. Quite why the Thai Immigration will not accept the proof you have to show the embassy and cut out the middle man I really don't know, but them's the rules.

You don't have to provide a medical certificate to extend your stay.

Thanks - extended yesterday... minus certificate - although on many web sites they say you need one (and 3 copies of passport etc. when only one is needed)

For the US-embassy no proof is required. You just make a sworn statement. Making a false statement is a criminal offence however.

Some immirgation offices know that the US-embassy doesn't check the income, and can ask for additional proof, like the statements. Best to take a copy with you when you go to immigration. But don't offer them, unless they ask for them.

What is the actual regulation or law about this? Or is it up to the whim of the officer? I find some inconsistencies in the requirements. For the past two years, I got a notarized statement from U.S. Embassy in Vientiane, Laos for my renewal at Non Khai. This year I have to renew at Khon Kaen, since Thai Immigration has an office there now. The KK office refuses to accept the statement from the Laos embassy and demands that it come from a US office in Thailand. Anyone else seen this situation??

Nong Khai often marched to there own drummer - that seems to be over. The requirement is certification by the Embassy in Thailand and is an Immigration rule/procedure rather than a law. The Embassy of the US for Thailand is located in Bangkok (with a Consulate in Chiang Mai). Vientiane Embassy has no authority in Thailand.

A friend of mine has a retirement visa that soon expires. He is however about to leave for a month so what would be the most practical and economical alternative: Let it expire and reapply when returning, or getting an extension before leaving Thailand?

And when returning, can he apply with only a visa exemption stamp in his passport or does he need a tourist visa?

Not enough details in that question really (for example does he have an OA now or an extension?), but generally it is more convenient to get extensions before leaving Thailand rather than letting it expire. Generally, that is because the extension is one process, but if you let it expire, there are two steps, either obtaining an O visa outside Thailand or doing a change of visa status in Thailand as the first step before the extension step. Yes, SOME immigration offices will do a change of visa status from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to non-immigrant (as the first step towards the extension), but there must be at least 21 days left in the current permission to stay to do that (so a 30 day stamp would be some time pressure). Bangkok can do the change of visa status if your local office does not. Of course if the extension is obtained before leaving Thailand you need a re-entry permit to keep it alive when coming back to Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Quoted from thaiphoon ... "If using the bank account method, application for renewal of extension of stay would be refused if the balance on your Thai bank account is not at least 800k every day for the whole 3 month period before application date. There is no requirement to transfer funds in each year, but most people do. You could for example transfer in 5M baht and draw down the funds for living for several years to come. "

WOW .... WOW .... HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO WRONG. Thaipoon .... you are sure of this ... not needing to bring money in each year? I am amazed! I must have read into the policy and thought they wanted to make sure us retired guys spent atleast the 800,000b each year.

There are folks here on TV and elsewhere who enjoy putting their own spin on the rules.

• 2 months later...

Do they still require a medical certificate for retirement extensions? and would I need a residence letter from my condo? (sorry first time I go this route - got my first retirement visa last year).

I just renewed my retirement extension at Chiang Mai immigration 3 days ago. They didn't ask for a medical certificate. Since it's your first extension, it might be a good idea to bring your blue house book (Tabean Baan)for your condo. I'm assuming you own your condo.

Edited by prism

It is not required for extension of stay within Thailand - it is required for the long stay non immigrant OA visa in home country. The items are not normal disease type things and is not a medical test that you would fail with age.