Retirement Extension Requirements

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

passport, photo, fee of 1,900 baht, proof of income of at least 65,000 a month (embassy letter if from abroad, tax papers if from within Thailand) OR bankbook with at least 800,000 for 2 months and letter from the bank confirming that.

Might also need some proof of residence.

You can apply early, the extension will start from the date your current permission to stay ends. So you don't lose any days.

passport, photo, fee of 1,900 baht, proof of income of at least 65,000 a month (embassy letter if from abroad, tax papers if from within Thailand) OR bankbook with at least 800,000 for 2 months and letter from the bank confirming that.

Might also need some proof of residence.

You can apply early, the extension will start from the date your current permission to stay ends. So you don't lose any days.

Thanks Mario do I need to copy anything and you do not mention any forms to fill in which I find unusual for Immigration

In Phuket you are required to copy all pages of your current Thai Bank book and have an accompanying Bank letter attesting to the amounts held in your account. Also required is a copy of your residence rental agreement or if owner of residence your "blue book," copy. In Phuket the 800,000 baht must have entered the account three (3) months prior to your application. BTW, you must have a dated copy of your bankbook showing that on the day of application you have 800,000 or more in your account for a period of again, redundant I know, (3), three months prior to application.

I went today and I have been asked to provide a copy of our rental agreement I might have a problem there because it is in my ladies name I might just take a chance and take my TOT bill with me as well that is in my name anybody have any other suggestions

I give them a phone bill. It works.

I gave them a phone bill but it did not work still asked for the rental agreement the phone bill was OK when I first got my extension last year

OK. That's interesting. I own a condo and they have that on record. Maybe that explains it, maybe not.

regarding the embassy letter and the 65000 baht monthly income requirement the way I read the law is that it can come from any source, i.e., pensions, investments or regular income from employment...one only has to be over 50 to claim retirement status for the associated extension...

does any embassy require one to declare that the 65k come from 'retirement' (pensions, etc) income only?

Just an update I went today to collect my passport with an agreement after many problems getting one (tried to get the landlady to change the agreement to my name at the same time telling her that we were leaving at the end of next month) went to the table to collect my passport the lady that told me that I needed the agreement was busy on the floor sorting out her food she told another lady to give me my passport which she did and no mention of needing a copy of the agreement

Police clearance report is not required if applying for extension of stay based on retirement at Thai immigration. It is however required if you were to apply for Non O-A (long stay) visa from embassy/consulate in your home country or country of residence.

In Phuket the 800,000 baht must have entered the account three (3) months prior to your application. BTW, you must have a dated copy of your bankbook showing that on the day of application you have 800,000 or more in your account for a period of again, redundant I know, (3), three months prior to application.
Does that 800,000 have to be in a bank in Thailand? Or could it aswell be in a bank in your home country, with a certificate from that bank stated in your home currency?

In Phuket the 800,000 baht must have entered the account three (3) months prior to your application. BTW, you must have a dated copy of your bankbook showing that on the day of application you have 800,000 or more in your account for a period of again, redundant I know, (3), three months prior to application.
Does that 800,000 have to be in a bank in Thailand? Or could it aswell be in a bank in your home country, with a certificate from that bank stated in your home currency?

It has to be in a Thai Bank for a period of 2 months for the first application and 3 months thereafter.

It has to be in a Thai Bank for a period of 2 months for the first application and 3 months thereafter.

And this 800,000 is for my wife and I together? We do not need 800,000 each? But I think some kind of proof that we are married, from our home country.

Just finished a conversion from A-O to Retirement Visa at Jomtien. Had a letter of income verification from the US Embassy in Bangkok, filled out the application with an online from so everything was neatly typed in place, had my house lease and TrueMove bill, copies of passport pages and a passport size photo. Entered Immigration at 2PM on a Wednesday. It was crowded but I managed to get Barry's attention and before he would issue me a ticket he went through all my paperwork. He complimented me on how neat and organized it all was but informed me that I still needed a bank letter and copies of my bankbook pages. I decided to go home and return the next day with the additional information. Up Thepasit, across Sukhumvit, onto Khoa Noi I noticed a new Bangkok Bank so I went in and asked for the letter. Five minutes later I had a letter stating my account balance of 900 Baht. My pension check doesn't hit until the 1st of every month and my bank book reflects this so I took a chance and went back to Immigration. It was now approaching 4PM. I saw Barry again and he went through the paperwork, again with compliments on efficiency. He gave me a number and said it was the last issue of the day and it was now being called so I just went back to desk #6. The young officer checked the pages, removing some additional crap (letters of pension statement) which were unnecessary, handed it to the young lady next to him. She took my picture, asked for 1900 Baht and told me to go to the desk behind her. An older woman then scoured my paperwork page by page and informed me I had to put more money into my account. She did notice the prior deposits so this must have counted for something. My Visa expired on the 8th of March and this was the 24th of February. She told me she would issue a Visa good until March 8, 2011 and for me to return on Friday (2 days later) to pick up my passport. She issued me a numbered card. Went back on Friday, straight back to the last desk and had my brand new retirement Visa. A very good experience overall.

The asked specifically for the house rental papers.

What you actually have is an extension of stay based on retirement (which is not a visa). Remember if you plan to travel abroad during the period of the extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep your permission to stay alive. Fee 1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multi entry.

Also remember if you plan to travel abroad during the period of the extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep your permission to stay alive. Fee 1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multi entry.

I admire your knowledgeable posts, and wonder if this thread is the proper place for me to ask some questions about the best way for a US retiree to obtain a long-term, retirement visa in the Kingdom. I hope to buy a one-way ticket.

I have sufficient funds in LOS (for six months) but wonder if I should try to do all the rest of it while I'm still in US (not too far from all the embassies in D.C). Or is it simpler to try to satisfy all the other prerequisites once I've arrived to Thailand? But what sort of visa could I obtain in order to fly-in on a one-way ticket?

Given that I have sufficient funds, monthly income, a clean FBI criminal background assessment, may I ask about the medical assessment requirements? What are the specifics?

I earnestly appreciate your kind attention.

Regards

The Thai embassy in D.C. will not grant an O visa to you for purposes of applying for a retirement extension in Thailand. They will only entertain O-A applications. You get the medical form from the Thai embassy. There shouldn't be a problem with that except for the expense. If you choose to fly in without an O-A on a one way ticket, you can perhaps get a tourist visa and then purchase a one way air ticket to someplace close like Malaysia that has you leaving before 60 days. Generally US airlines won't board you with a one way ticket unless you have a visa and/or a ticket out. You could try to get a single entry O from another consulate but they may ask you why aren't you using the embassy as you are close to it. With a single entry O you can convert to an extension based on retirement in Thailand. You can also enter on a tourist visa (or even a 30 day stamp) and change your status to an O in Thailand at your immigration office, as long as you have at least 21 days left on your permission to stay and are prepared and qualified to apply for the retirement extension. Of course in Thailand for retirement extensions, you will not need the medical report or the police report, those are only needed for O-A applications in your home country. BTW, for the O-A the qualifying funds do not need to be in Thailand. That requirement is only for retirement extensions done in Thailand. If I were you based on your info I would get the medical form from DC and apply for an O-A in D.C. That is saying a lot because I usually suggest avoiding the O-A.

Edited by Jingthing

The Thai embassy in D.C. will not grant an O visa to you for purposes of applying for a retirement extension in Thailand. They will only entertain O-A applications. You get the medical form from the Thai embassy. There shouldn't be a problem with that except for the expense. If you choose to fly in without an O-A on a one way ticket, you can perhaps get a tourist visa and then purchase a one way air ticket to someplace close like Malaysia that has you leaving before 60 days. Generally US airlines won't board you with a one way ticket unless you have a visa and/or a ticket out. You could try to get a single entry O from another consulate but they may ask you why aren't you using the embassy as you are close to it. With a single entry O you can convert to an extension based on retirement in Thailand. You can also enter on a tourist visa (or even a 30 day stamp) and change your status to an O in Thailand at your immigration office, as long as you have at least 21 days left on your permission to stay and are prepared and qualified to apply for the retirement extension. Of course in Thailand for retirement extensions, you will not need the medical report or the police report, those are only needed for O-A applications in your home country. BTW, for the O-A the qualifying funds do not need to be in Thailand. That requirement is only for retirement extensions done in Thailand. If I were you based on your info I would get the medical form from DC and apply for an O-A in D.C. That is saying a lot because I usually suggest avoiding the O-A.

My thanks to you for sharing your exquisite knowledge. If I make it back to Rama IX, I'll pay for lunch.