Retirement Extension Requirements

My thanks to you for sharing your exquisite knowledge. If I make it back to Rama IX, I'll pay for lunch.

No problem.

Some additional points.

If you go for the O-A, make sure to apply for a MULTIPLE ENTRY O-A! That will allow you to leave Thailand and return before the end of the first year and receive a second year without ever having to apply for an extension at a Thai immigration office.

As far as airline boarding, yes it is true technically airlines policy will be any visa will allow you to board. However, a one way ticket is a red flag, so being questioned on boarding can still happen. I have lived in Thailand for years now and have been challenged RETURNING to Thailand on a RT from Thailand, so there is nobody that can tell you with complete assurance what is going to happen to you at boarding. Certainly if you arrive at the airport with no visa and no ticket out within 30 days, your chances of having a problem to board are great.

An additional detail. At the time I got my original single entry O visa in the US (at a consulate) the consulate made me show them a ticket out within 90 days so I had to buy one anyway just to get the visa. On boarding, the single entry visa was adequate to board on a one way ticket, but I had the proof of ticket to Malaysia if I had been asked.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here on Samui I got my first extension showing 300,000 in Bangkok Bank for 3 months and pension (USA Social Security) of 50,000/mo. AND 5000 tea money.

Why was tea money necessary as apparently you had fulfilled the requirements? 12 x 50,000 = 600,000 plus 300,000 = 900,000 which is more than the 800,000 asked for.

Also remember if you plan to travel abroad during the period of the extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep your permission to stay alive. Fee 1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multi entry.

God! Do we have to apply for that now, too???

I don't have a rental agreement, I just pay my rent each month. I do get a receipt for the payment. Will the receipt be enough, or should I ask the manager of the building to write up an agreement to satisfy Pattaya immigration for my retirement visa extension?

Also remember if you plan to travel abroad during the period of the extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep your permission to stay alive. Fee 1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multi entry.

God! Do we have to apply for that now, too???

Yes you do. Acceptance is automatic though if you fill out the application correctly and pay the money. Cheers. Their country, their rules, nobody invited us.

Edited by Jingthing

Here on Samui I got my first extension showing 300,000 in Bangkok Bank for 3 months and pension (USA Social Security) of 50,000/mo. AND 5000 tea money.

Why was tea money necessary as apparently you had fulfilled the requirements? 12 x 50,000 = 600,000 plus 300,000 = 900,000 which is more than the 800,000 asked for.

That would be the the special Samui admin fee. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been to Chiang Mai immigration - 2 weeks ago I changed visas there - tourist for "O" -and was told that I could not yet apply for a retirement extension.

The young lady told me that I could only apply for this during the last month of my new "O" visa.

I have read (on Thaivisa) that it's possible, given that the money is ok, to apply for conversion to "O" visa, and retirement extension on the same day.

Somebody is incorrect.

I have just been to Chiang Mai immigration - 2 weeks ago I changed visas there - tourist for "O" -and was told that I could not yet apply for a retirement extension.

The young lady told me that I could only apply for this during the last month of my new "O" visa.

I have read (on Thaivisa) that it's possible, given that the money is ok, to apply for conversion to "O" visa, and retirement extension on the same day.

Somebody is incorrect.

Nah! There are numerous reports here that whether or not you can do both at the same time is up to your immigration officer, and cannot be predicted either way with much confidence. In your case as you came in earlier than CM likes to do the extension part of it, their decision makes perfect sense. Quite likely if you had timed it differently, you could have done both at the same time.

BTW -- Most immigration offices accept extension applications 30 days out from permission to stay expiry (but may sometimes make exceptions especially with proof of travel). At Jomtien, they are open to two or even three months early.

Edited by Jingthing

You can not apply for the conversion and the extension on the same day. However, some immigration officers are nice to do both at the same time. It is however not the normal procedure.

Right, I wasn't really talking necessarily about the same day, but more like the same time. In other words, you get the first part done and then you immediately do the second part. There have been reports of people being able to do that, so I am not sure I would use the word normal. In any case, people should be reminded that change of visa status first step of the process can only be done at certain immigration offices and you must have at least 21 days remaining on your current permission to stay to do the application.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Now as the Euro is dropping considerably, my monthly income in Euro may not be sufficient to reach the monthly 65000 ThB required.

I can transfer money from my home country to reach the 800000 requested, but I should prefer to do it on the very last moment, if necessary.

How much time before the request for a new "retirement visa" must the top-up money be on your bank account please?

If using bank account method 800k balance needs to be seasoned for 3 months before renewal. You could alternatively use the combination method with bank account funds 'topping up' the income shortfall. There is no seasoning requirement using the combination route.

Police Order 777/2551

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

If using bank account method 800k balance needs to be seasoned for 3 months before renewal. You could alternatively use the combination method with bank account funds 'topping up' the income shortfall. There is no seasoning requirement using the combination route.

Police Order 777/2551

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Please help me understand item number 4. It was my understanding that on an extension of stay for a retirement visa that with this option, ... 800,000b needed to be brought into thailand each year and deposited within the 3 months prior to application date. So if you apply on December 31 then the money needs to be brought in sometime between October1 and December 30. It seems I might be very wrong when reading the threads.

I completed my first extension without any difficulty but the money would have been here for about 2.5 months before the application date.

So is the rule for future extensions ... that the money must be sitting in the bank for atleast 3 full months before the application date?

This would mean that if the money came into the country in month 10 or 11 then immigration would refuse the extension?

If you can apply early for the extension then does this mean that you can bring the money into the country in month 7 or 8 and apply for the extension at the beginning of month 11?

If a lot of money was brought into the country last year and the bank balance is over the 800,000b does more money need to be brought into the country? In other words is immigration only looking to make sure money is brought in from abroad and wanting to see the account balance is greater or equal to 800,000b?

I thought i was playing hockey and it may turn out to be basketball! :) Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom and guidance .... cheers

If using the bank account method, application for renewal of extension of stay would be refused if the balance on your Thai bank account is not at least 800k every day for the whole 3 month period before application date. There is no requirement to transfer funds in each year, but most people do. You could for example transfer in 5M baht and draw down the funds for living for several years to come.

Quoted from thaiphoon ... "If using the bank account method, application for renewal of extension of stay would be refused if the balance on your Thai bank account is not at least 800k every day for the whole 3 month period before application date. There is no requirement to transfer funds in each year, but most people do. You could for example transfer in 5M baht and draw down the funds for living for several years to come. "

WOW .... WOW .... HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO WRONG. Thaipoon .... you are sure of this ... not needing to bring money in each year? I am amazed! I must have read into the policy and thought they wanted to make sure us retired guys spent atleast the 800,000b each year. My expenses for the first year were a meisley 310,000b. (I do not live in BKK but am in the center areas).

I do remember the thai embassy in Canada telling me that I need to bring in 800,000b each year but that could well have been a mistake and they might have meant maintain a balance of atleast 800,000. Although the thai ladies english was excellent. WOW!

Thanks for the insight. This really changes my planning .... Cheers

Hi, sorry to but in here. I've read somewhere, but can't find it now, that you no longer have to prove that the 800,000 Baht for retirement stamp, comes from abroad. Is that correct? The ruling on this has been changed by Thai Immigration?

Reason I'm asking, I originally transferred 800,000 from abroad when I first did the retirement extension. I've left it in the Bank, and it now stands (with interest) at over 1 million. I'm thinking I may as well use some of this, for my day-to day living expenses, as the exchange rate is awful at the moment. I would leave the basic 800K untouched, so I don't have to worry about seasoning the money in future years.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused about the proof of retirement income route.

My two pensions from Virginia State and the local government go well beyond the 65,000 THB/month. But what will I have to show at the American embassy to get the letter stating that I have a particular income? Monthly statements, for example? Or is it another case of simply swearing that it is true.

And then, once I have that affidavit, is that the only proof of income immigration requires?

Thanks

For the US-embassy no proof is required. You just make a sworn statement. Making a false statement is a criminal offence however.

Some immirgation offices know that the US-embassy doesn't check the income, and can ask for additional proof, like the statements. Best to take a copy with you when you go to immigration. But don't offer them, unless they ask for them.

For teh US-embassy no proof is required. You just make a sworn statement. Making a false statement is a criminal offence however.

Some immirgation offices know that the US-embassy doesn't check the income, and can ask for additional proof, like the statements. Best to take a copy with you when you go to immigration. But don't offer them, unless they ask for them.

any ideas for UK? any info on the med cert??? please???

It will vary by officer but two years ago Bangkok spent 10 minutes going through my 10 year file trying to match photo with something in the file. They were doing it with most people that year. Have not seen any recent reports for file search but they do want a recent photo and not that hard to make. They will be taking themselves at some point but believe that is still not working most places.

Be sure the 4x6cm photo for the TM.7 form is not more than six months old.

I'm still using photos,withoutv aproblem, taken 9 years ago. new ones would be far too depresing

I live with my Thai gf in her house, will they accept a letter from the local police confirming that I live there, in place of rental agreement

cheers Brian