Learning To Dive In Phuket

chuppachops

Prices are fairly standard. 16k is certainly more than enough. There is a few dive instructors on this board that can get you sorted, including me. The best option IMHO is doing the Phi Phi overnight trip. You get 9 dives instead of 4, which are at fantastic dive sites, not just the sandy bottom you get during beach dives or at Racha Yai. Certainly the best value for money. You can always get a dirt cheap course done with an independent, but I don't recommend that. I've heard some horror stories. PM sent.

The best place for you certification dives is IMO not the overnight trip. Most of the dives on that trip are too difficult to start with.

Racha Yai is the best place to learn, and the comment about 'just the sandy bottom you get during beach dive or at Racha Yai' is totally unjustified IMO.

For a good course, count on around 13 K.

I agree with stevenl in regard to the basic certification for open water divers. The overnight trip is great for the second course, advanced open water, but is inappropriate for open water due to the conditions at the dive sites. Besides that observation, for anyone interested in the Phi Phi overnight trip, it offers SEVEN dives, not nine.

thanks for the info and replies guys, i think i will do the phi phi overnight trip... sounds great.
Do what you want, but for open water certification it is not great, even stronger, very bad and potentially dangerous.

I agree with stevenl in regard to the basic certification for open water divers. The overnight trip is great for the second course, advanced open water, but is inappropriate for open water due to the conditions at the dive sites. Besides that observation, for anyone interested in the Phi Phi overnight trip, it offers SEVEN dives, not nine.

If you take the open water course in conjunction with the Phi Phi overnight trip, open water dive 1 and 2 are off the beach the day before the trip, hence the 9 dives in total.

thanks for the info and replies guys, i think i will do the phi phi overnight trip... sounds great.
Do what you want, but for open water certification it is not great, even stronger, very bad and potentially dangerous.

Dangerous? I couldn't disagree more. Considering the student diver just completed all the confined water and 2 open water dives from the beach, in my experience the student is going to be more qualified and comfortable than your average warm water tourist diver that has 20 dives and does 4 dives a year. Of course each student diver needs to be evaluated individually and if it is apparent to the instructor or the student that the student isn't ready, then the open water dives will be delayed until the diver is ready. That may piss of the shop owner, but that doesn't bother me very much. It's safety first.

If you take the open water course in conjunction with the Phi Phi overnight trip, open water dive 1 and 2 are off the beach the day before the trip, hence the 9 dives in total.

Dangerous? I couldn't disagree more. Considering the student diver just completed all the confined water and 2 open water dives from the beach, in my experience the student is going to be more qualified and comfortable than your average warm water tourist diver that has 20 dives and does 4 dives a year. Of course each student diver needs to be evaluated individually and if it is apparent to the instructor or the student that the student isn't ready, then the open water dives will be delayed until the diver is ready. That may piss of the shop owner, but that doesn't bother me very much. It's safety first.

Yes, after he has finished and survived the open water course.

Look at the divesites during the overnight trip:

1) Shark Point, unsuitable for any open water training dive;

2 and 3) Bida Nok/Nai, only suitable for 3 and 4 provided the conditions are good, which you really don't know in advance; never suitable for training dive 1 and 2;

4) nightdive, not suitable for open water course, but if 2 and 3 worked out ok the student diver could be certified by now and make the dive.

5) Bida Nok/Nai, see 2 and 3, provided the conditions were ok on day 1 the student diver could be certified and made the dive;

6) King Cruiser; provided the student diver was good and is certified by now may be able to make the dive;

7) Koh Doc Mai, quite often strong current and poor visibility, but should be ok even for a newly certified open water diver.

So all in all: if the weather and diving conditions cooperate and the student diver has already done open water training dives 1 and 2, it could be ok and it could be not ok. If not: no way.

And yes, I know quite a few DC's do training dives 3 and 4 and often even 1 and 2 at the Bida Islands. A very dangerous situation IMO, and an accident waiting to happen, after which we'll all ask: but why did he do the training there? All for money, pressure form student, etc., not because of the quality of the course and/or safety.

Yes, after he has finished and survived the open water course.

Look at the divesites during the overnight trip:

1) Shark Point, unsuitable for any open water training dive;

2 and 3) Bida Nok/Nai, only suitable for 3 and 4 provided the conditions are good, which you really don't know in advance; never suitable for training dive 1 and 2;

4) nightdive, not suitable for open water course, but if 2 and 3 worked out ok the student diver could be certified by now and make the dive.

5) Bida Nok/Nai, see 2 and 3, provided the conditions were ok on day 1 the student diver could be certified and made the dive;

6) King Cruiser; provided the student diver was good and is certified by now may be able to make the dive;

7) Koh Doc Mai, quite often strong current and poor visibility, but should be ok even for a newly certified open water diver.

So all in all: if the weather and diving conditions cooperate and the student diver has already done open water training dives 1 and 2, it could be ok and it could be not ok. If not: no way.

And yes, I know quite a few DC's do training dives 3 and 4 and often even 1 and 2 at the Bida Islands. A very dangerous situation IMO, and an accident waiting to happen, after which we'll all ask: but why did he do the training there? All for money, pressure form student, etc., not because of the quality of the course and/or safety.

I fail to understand the alarmist position on this stevenl. I think warm water instructors are spoiled. Having done a lot of teaching in California where the water is typically 9-12c (~48-52F), with 4 to 8 students and one DM, in 14mm of neoprene, drysuits, 20gk's of weights and no visibility. Cold water is orders of magnitude harder to dive and teach in than warm water, especially when the warm water teaching ratios are 1 on 1 or 1 on 2, which it usually is here.

Bida Nai/Nok there is a shallow bay...forget the name now, that is entirely suitable for OW training. And there is nothing that says you have to do training on each dive. You've got 6 dives in which to complete skills for 2 dives. (I didn't count the night dive obviously) If the site isn't suitable for diving, then just make it a tour and allow the student to continue to develop their skills and confidence. After all, they are a PADI Scuba Diver before the trip even started.

Phi Phi trip is the way to go without a doubt.

I thought you new something about diving here, but was obviously wrong.

This is really disappointing Steve. There is no need to get personal. We are both supposedly professionals here.

Your implications that I am somehow being unsafe is quite offensive and inaccurate. Please explain where you think I have been "wrong," (i.e where you have a difference of opinion.) I'm just a freelancer now. I have a full item job outside diving. I have no motivation to promote one thing over another, only what I feel is the best fro the new diver. I think you have an online booking company or something no? Perhaps your company doesn't offer the Phi Phi overnight? That would explain things a bit.

Maybe me being an IDC Staff instructor, my 3 years teaching in Phuket , 9 years teaching total, and 250 certs doesn't make me the expert you are, but the facts as I stated them are correct. In fact at present I am teaching an OW course exactly as I have described above, and have another booked next week. The students simply love it.

I stand by what I said about it being a great option for new divers to really have fun and emerge a better more confident diver. It is completely safe.

I thought you new something about diving here, but was obviously wrong.

This is really disappointing Steve. There is no need to get personal. We are both supposedly professionals here.

Your implications that I am somehow being unsafe is quite offensive and inaccurate. Please explain where you think I have been "wrong," (i.e where you have a difference of opinion.) I'm just a freelancer now. I have a full item job outside diving. I have no motivation to promote one thing over another, only what I feel is the best fro the new diver. I think you have an online booking company or something no? Perhaps your company doesn't offer the Phi Phi overnight? That would explain things a bit.

Maybe me being an IDC Staff instructor, my 3 years teaching in Phuket , 9 years teaching total, and 250 certs doesn't make me the expert you are, but the facts as I stated them are correct. In fact at present I am teaching an OW course exactly as I have described above, and have another booked next week. The students simply love it.

I stand by what I said about it being a great option for new divers to really have fun and emerge a better more confident diver. It is completely safe.

If you promote this, yes you are unsafe. See my explanation about the divesites in an earlier post.

A scubadiver with 2 dives at Shark Point, open water course without hesitation at Bida Islands, forgetting the strong surf and surge in the Bay, making this totally unsuitable from May onwards and quite often also in other months, etc. All dangerous practices.

But as I mentioned, I know this is common practice, but I am also of the opinion that one of these days there will be big trouble with this.

Yes, we do offer the PP overnight but for certified divers. For open water courses: no way.