Seizing Any Of My Money Would Be Unfair: Thaksin

webfact

Seizing any of my money would be unfair: Thaksin

DUBAI: -- Fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra says he would consider it unfair even if only part of his assets were seized and would do everything he could "to ensure justice prevails".

In an interview given to a Post Today reporter who travelled to Dubai and stumbled upon him there in a shopping mall, Thaksin said he would take his usual daily walk in a department store in Dubai on Friday, when the Supreme Court will issue a verdict in his assets-seizure case.

"There is nothing to be stressed about. If I don't receive justice, I will fight for it in every way," he said.

He said he still hoped to be able to return to Thailand this year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"he would consider it unfair even if only part of his assets were seized"

"I will fight for it in every way,"

He just doesn't know when to back off,

and when he doesn't and gets slapped down,

he still attacks again.

There in lies the crux of the problem.

He thinks he is entitled, in the worst uber elite tradtion to do

what ever he likes without anyone having recourse against him.

Most all Thai leaders in the past who fell from power,

quietly went to ground and stayed there comfortably.

for long poeriods and then came back as king makers or pundits.

But Thaksin thinks he can act as he wishes in all spheres.

Some comment that too much comment happens here about Thaksin

and much of it anti-Thaksin, thing is he would be less worthy of comment,

if he acted more Thai and it's not in his psychological makeup...

He is surely the Energizer Bunny of misanthropic self interest.

Edited by animatic

Didn't Thaksin make his fortune before entering politics? If so what right does the current government have to sieze his entire fortune?

One, it's the courts, not the current or previous governments.

Two, it's not his entire fortune, just a part of it.

Three, they may be partly/all ill-gotten gains, the court's still out on that one, for a few days more.

Four, he wants justice, but won't serve time, which the courts have already awarded him.

Five, he is delaying, by his absense, a number of other cases.

Six, you might like to read-up on how he made his previous money, which he expanded massively, while in office.

In an interview given to a Post Today reporter who travelled to Dubai and stumbled upon him there in a shopping mall

Has he been reduced to sleeping in shopping mall stairwells?

No, but if you wear a red shirt he'll give you 20% off on your mini-donuts. :)

In an interview given to a Post Today reporter who travelled to Dubai and stumbled upon him there in a shopping mall

Has he been reduced to sleeping in shopping mall stairwells?

I love it how the reporter just happened to be in Dubai and just 'stumbled' upon him.

It reminds me of Lieutenant Sunisa who travelled to London and suddenly spied his residence 'by chance' when on a bus.

He changed the laws to benefit his companies, it's time to own up but he hasn't the courage.

With this only being a piece of his fortune, I wonder how he will spend the rest in the next month after the verdict. He has one month to appeal, but he must do so in person.

I think he knows that he has lost out on the bid to sway the judges a lot, (although I'm sure he has had some impact, if they give him back anything I think people will start raising this), so his focus will turn to how to destabilize the government enough that he will be able to march in from Cambodia with his "People's Army" to take over.

Unlikely as it is to happen, I think he might be thinking about this.

Didn't Thaksin make his fortune before entering politics? If so what right does the current government have to sieze his entire fortune?

Silly post, how long have you been in Thailand? the facts are all public records.

He has one month to appeal, but he must do so in person.

If Thaksin, or any of the other defendants wish to appeal the verdict, they need to sign the appeal motion, but they do not need to be present when it is handed over to the court.

In 2008, Vatana Asavahame, did appeal his 10 year conviction, but the screening committee ruled that no new evidence was produced, and so it never went to the full Supreme Court for a hearing. (Vatana was in Cambodia at the time).

Under the law (2007 Constitution, Section 278) an appeal can only be made within 30 days of a verdict being handed down, on the provision that fresh evidence is provided likely to result in a material alteration of facts

This basically means that unless completely new evidence is produced, which would by it's very nature be likely to overturn the verdict, then there is no basis for an appeal, and therefore the verdict is final. After so many years preparing for this trial, the possibility of "New Evidence" being available is extremely small.

Others have already said it but .....

If the courts (not the government) find that he used his office (position as PM) to directly benefit is own company then not only can the courts seize the money he illegally made, they can also fine him.

If he is found guilty of abusing his power to benefit his company in this situation it will open him up for yet another criminal case against him.

If the courts find that the money currently frozen are all his and not belonging to others then those funds are also at risk of being taken. I don't think that many people beleive Thaksin's children owned or earned the money they are claiming belongs to them.

I doubt that this court will be as lenient as the court was in his assets concealment case in the past, but I have been wrong before!

The Elite who are fronted by the Government believe that when one of their peers (another elite member) is out of line they can pull him back in that is their right, oh and you had better not criticize the elite because in Thailand so doing can carry severe penalties,either way the elite win TIT

was there a single day since 2006 when he was not all over TV forum? ,,,,,sorry, I dont remember :)

AND is HE worth talking about him every beautiful day here in LoS, will this go on for the next 4 years too?

Whichever way the verdict goes one side will be dissatisfied. Civil war is looming....maybe this is for the better.

The Elite who are fronted by the Government believe that when one of their peers (another elite member) is out of line they can pull him back in that is their right, oh and you had better not criticize the elite because in Thailand so doing can carry severe penalties,either way the elite win TIT

Can you possibly think that Thaksin and his core group are not "Elite"? You certainly have a simplistic view on what is going on in Thailand, and obviously no clue about why Thaksin has so many legal problems currently.

was there a single day since 2006 when he was not all over TV forum? ,,,,,sorry, I dont remember :)

AND is HE worth talking about him every beautiful day here in LoS, will this go on for the next 4 years too?

Whichever way the verdict goes one side will be dissatisfied. Civil war is looming....maybe this is for the better.

There wont be civil war,as if anyone attempted it the military would just do what they have always done, quash it and reclaim power for the elite , most Thais know that.There is also the money issue you wont find many Thai political activists willing to be 'active' without a salary. I bet next week it will be business as usual with the same old pupet government being controlled by the elite.

Seizing any of my money would make me cry: Thaksin

DUBAI: -- Fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra says he would burst into tears even if only part of his assets were seized and would do everything he could "to ensure justice prevails".

In an interview given to a a skill-less reporter who traveled to Dubai and arranged to meet him there in a MacDonalds, Thaksin said he would take his usual daily walk in a department store in Dubai on Friday because he doesn't have enough money left to buy it and when the Supreme Court issues its verdict in his assets-seizure case he will buy a few boxes of Tissues, the ones with the aloe-vera oil in them so that his nose does not become sore.

"There is nothing to be stressed about. If I don't receive justice, I will cry like a baby and throw a tantrum as usual" he said.

He said he still hoped to be able to return to Thailand this year, but too much of a spineless coward to do it until everyone tells him that they love him and forgive him

he was rich prior to going into politics as a result of deals with Chalerm and Chavalit to secure lucrative monopolies on GSM 2 watt cellphone frequency and sattellite services.

he then tripled his family's networth within 4/5 years of running the country, mostly in businesses which also relied heavily on monopolies, policy or favourtism including granting loans to foreign countries for borrowing to buy his sattellite services, changes to the terms of his cellphone busniess revenue share with the state; acquisition of land; that sort of thing.

it's the tripled bit that most have an issue with; even he had an issue with someone saying it; Shin sued a journalist for daring to say that he had profited as a result of being PM; I think she was sued for 500 million baht. even though facts said it was true.

Just because I'm rich, if I then go and rob you, do you think it should be not allowed to seize my assets for theft.....because i was rich before?

If you're a red shirt, allow me to answer for you:

(red shirter) yes, ok.......if your name is Thaksin. otherwise.....not ok because double standards/media bias/let's take petrol to bangkok etc etc.

If you're a yellow shirt, allow me to answer for you:

(red shirter) er, not really ok.......unless your name is Thaksin in which case we will storm the airport/protest blah blah blah etc etc.

If you're a spaggetti strap shirt, allow me to answer for you:

mai care ruang garn muang, yahk dai fairn reow reow.....seeo jung leuy na kaaaaaaaaa.

One could also put forward the point of view that the indiscriminate killing of suspected drug dealers by a vigilante inspired police force on the orders of Thaksin was also unfair as recent cases have shown.

The blatant rewriting of tax and telecom regulations to benefit a particular company to the detriment of the public and the country vis a vis tax income unfair too.

The inability to accept a decision of a court and then cutting and running unfair too. Twenty plus years here and Thaksin is probably the most odious character I have seen pass through the hallowed portals of imaginative governance.

Intent on stirring up civil unrest all to protect his money, indeed it is Thaksin first , note the egotistical usage of the possessive words of '' I '' and '' Me.'' Never ''US'' or ''WE.''

Cast the mote from your eye and see the knight in rusty armour for what he stands for and really is

Can you possibly think that Thaksin and his core group are not "Elite"? You certainly have a simplistic view on what is going on in Thailand, and obviously no clue about why Thaksin has so many legal problems currently.

I will keep the moral high ground and respectfully ask you to read the post carefully ' one of their peers another elite member is out of line' ie Thaksin.... and thanks for telling me I dont have a clue, please tell me how exactly do you know that?