Windows Xp Starter Edition

stumonster

Maybe this is well known , but its the first I have heard of it.

The operating system will not work on computers running Intel's Pentium 4 processors or the Athlon from Advanced Micro Devices, a public relations representative said on behalf of Microsoft. Instead, it will run on computers containing Intel's Celeron chips, AMD's Duron or Geode chips, or processors from Via Technologies.
Full story at CNET
Windows XP Starter Edition--an inexpensive version of Microsoft's flagship operating system that does not contain as many features as the standard version--will begin shipping on PCs in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia in October, said Maggie Wilderotter, senior vice president for the worldwide public sector at Microsoft.

Story at CNET on windowsXP starter OS for five countries

thx to slashdot.org

I know that it is limited to the open windows and resultion, but that with the CPU is new for me.

In thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia the price for the XPprof, should be between 1 and 2 US$, thats the price they must beat :o

Or they try to force the shops to preinstall it and make some money with that, don't know??

Maybe this is well known , but its the first I have heard of it.
The operating system will not work on computers running Intel's Pentium 4 processors or the Athlon from Advanced Micro Devices, a public relations representative said on behalf of Microsoft. Instead, it will run on computers containing Intel's Celeron chips, AMD's Duron or Geode chips, or processors from Via Technologies.

Full story at CNET

Windows XP Starter Edition--an inexpensive version of Microsoft's flagship operating system that does not contain as many features as the standard version--will begin shipping on PCs in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia in October, said Maggie Wilderotter, senior vice president for the worldwide public sector at Microsoft.
Story at CNET on windowsXP starter OS for five countries

thx to slashdot.org

In thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia the price for the XPprof, should be between 1 and 2 US$, thats the price they must beat :o

I've noticed in Thailand that many brand name laptop computers such as Compaq, Acer, etc are being sold in two versions. One has a licenced XP operating system, and the other has a Freeware Linux OS. The laptop / configuration is identical, but the Linux laptop is substantially cheaper without the bundled XP.

Probably less than 10% are actually buying the laptop and using the Linux. An economical person would buy the Linux laptop and reformat it with the 200 baht XP copy, saving anywhere from 5-10000 baht.

You have to figure that Microsoft is losing market share to these Linux equipped computers. I'm sure that XP starter will be priced competitively to the Linux laptops in order to encourage the laptop buyer to buy the more familiar Windows OS.

It seems that Microsoft is going with the "If you can't beat them" theory, or the "Something is better than nothing" theory.

last laptop I bought, they told me they have the winxp version or the linux version which they upgrade for free to winxp as special discount, but I don't get the CD (because it costs 100 Baht).

never saw it for 200 Baht, would say 50-100 THB :o

In thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia the price for the XPprof, should be between 1 and 2 US$, thats the price they must beat :D

I've noticed in Thailand that many brand name laptop computers such as Compaq, Acer, etc are being sold in two versions. One has a licenced XP operating system, and the other has a Freeware Linux OS. The laptop / configuration is identical, but the Linux laptop is substantially cheaper without the bundled XP.

Probably less than 10% are actually buying the laptop and using the Linux. An economical person would buy the Linux laptop and reformat it with the 200 baht XP copy, saving anywhere from 5-10000 baht.

You have to figure that Microsoft is losing market share to these Linux equipped computers. I'm sure that XP starter will be priced competitively to the Linux laptops in order to encourage the laptop buyer to buy the more familiar Windows OS.

It seems that Microsoft is going with the "If you can't beat them" theory, or the "Something is better than nothing" theory.

last laptop I bought, they told me they have the winxp version or the linux version which they upgrade for free to winxp as special discount, but I don't get the CD (because it costs 100 Baht).

So- did you choose this option?

Edited by bino

more or less my mother used this option :o

I bought it with her....

So- did you choose this option?

I've noticed in Thailand that many brand name laptop computers such as Compaq, Acer, etc are being sold in two versions. One has a licenced XP operating system, and the other has a Freeware Linux OS...

All the PCs at Data IT in Phuket's Central Festival store have Red Hat Linux :o , none have XP, but they "know somone who can install it" for 500 baht. :D