Budget Flight To Kl - An Alternative

tokachinter

Hi,

I would probably use Air Asia or a similar commuter airline to fly BBK-KUL, but last Sunday my circumstances (travelling on w/end, lots of luggage) dictated that I have a good look at alternatives (about two weeks before flying).

Best deal I found on AsiaTravel.com was GMG Airlines (one-way total of b3945 v's b4385 for AA). Who?! Well, I googled and discoverd the airline was established 10 years ago by two Bangladeshi conglomerates. Over the years I have flown with many lesser known airlines (Birman, Air India, Air Egypt et al) with Garuda being the only one on my never-to-fly-with again list (and that was before they started falling from the sky regularly), so I quickly signed up for this 'unknown' GMG flight, without high expectations.

On arrival at Subvarnabhumi, (worthless trivia: for the first time in my life I couldn't remember the name of the airline I was going to fly on!), I went to Information to locate the GMG check-in row. This was after being unable to locate the flight on the departures board - not a good start! Nor was the fact that the information person had to refer to a list to locate the airline's check-in very encouraging! So, dear readers, are you now expecting to read about the flight from hel_l?.....Well, sadly you'll be disappointed, as from here on things generally worked out better than I had expected, my summary follows:

CHECK-IN: Walked straight up to the counter (no queue!). Friendly, efficient Thai Air ground staff. Total weight of check-in luggage was 24.5kgs consisting of suitcase plus one fragile, oversize piece - no problem! Requested aisle seat - no problem. So far, so good! Informed flight was delayed 30mins (actually told 2 hours, which didn't make sense). A later second check of the board showed the flight's scheduled departure of 1840hrs, though my ticket (purchased two weeks earlier) stated 2000hrs, no wonder I couldn't find it earlier!

A TIT moment, perhaps?

BOARDING & DEPARTURE: Both, on (amended) time

FLIGHT: Plane was an MD-80, which conjured up unpleasant memories of sitting with my chin on my knees during a 2-hour full, domestic flight in Japan, 20 years ago! Fortunately, this flight was less than half-full and seat placement provided normal legroom. Interior was generally clean and attractive. Fight attendants wore elegant saris as uniform, spoke English well and were pleasant & efficient (also attractive!). Meal service was a fresh chicken and salad sandwhich on wholemeal bread and a packaged custard-filled cake. Drink service was lemonade and water (repeated without request). No strange noises or smoke in the cabin detected, take-off and landing were smooth (pilot or co-pilot was an Australian).

ARRIVAL: On (amended) time

CRITICISM & CONCLUSION: If I was being picky, I would have mentioned above that I noticed the windows were dirty (on the inside) and a seat arm was broken (not mine). Also, the fasten seat belt light never came on before takeoff, therefore never extinguished resulting in some passengers getting up before the plane had finished its ascent!

Overall, based on the above experience, I wouldn't hesitate to fly GMG again.

And with AA gradually sliding up its prices (see other posts) so that you have to book 6 months in advance and travel late on a Tuesday night with max. 15kgs of luggage to get a cheap ticket, I'll probably be using regular airlines like GMG over the commuters more often in the future.

Comments, anyone?

Ross

an oz pilot or co-pilot, you say.

must check it out especially if the flight is not bloated with passengers like airasia 's flights.

speak pretty decent english too?

quite a plus, must say!

staff on board not worked to death ?

can't say that for many budget airlines in this circuit.

notice the very very low morales of some of these budget airlines staff in this region?