Recording Onto Cd

Wanraya

I want to make some CD's to assist my English students improve their listening skills.

I already have the scripts ready and would like to use my PC to make my master copies.

What hardware/software will I need to add to my computer, obviously a cd writer but what else(a microphone? - if so what type)

Also does anyone know of any software that can provide sound effects for the cd's (ringing telephones, background noise etc.)

TIA

you need an audio editing program, my favorite is Cool Edit Pro, but there are many others - Wavelab, N-tracks, Cakewalk etc. There's many CDs of sound effects available at places like Pantip, Tukcom etc.

On the hardware side, for simple voice recording you can get acceptable results with the normal soundcard [or onboard audio] in your computer] - if you use a small external mixer and then use the line inputs on your soundcard. Don't bother with the mic input on your computer - it's barely adequate for netphone apps.

The next step up hardware wise would be a better soundcard or an external USB or Firewire audio interface, but give it a go with what you have first - it will probably be ok.

you can probably search for sound effects or buy a disc of them at panthip - though if you are prepared to spend the time free ones are available on the internet.

for recording and editing your sound files have a look at the open source offerings.

I use Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net

it will export to wav , mp3 and ogg files.

to export to mp3s I think you need the lame encoder installed also

LAME - http://lame.sourceforge.net

it doesn't get any better than good , free software

Edited by stumonster