What Part Of The World Do You Come From Where You Walk In The Middle Of The Road?

Tokay

I'm in awe at the amount of tourists here who are simply walking in the road, some even in the middle, not looking at traffic, just walking along as if they are on the sidewalk.

Where do these numb nuts come from?

Curious to know how many of them have accidents with bikes, cars or a speeding baht bus.

In Chiang Mai, the few sidewalks there are, are usually blocked by phone booths and statues and what-not right in the middle of the pavements. No one has much choice about walking in the street. blink.gif

Brilliant. lol

Here, they can walk on the beach sidewalk but choose to walk IN the road. I don't get it. Beach Road is not a road you want to walk in. Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see this, yet night after night I almost clip some dummy walking out in the road with his back turned to traffic. Usually, they walk in small groups.

Didn't yow know that one of the requirements when you pass threw immigration as a tourist is that you must leave your brain with immigrations because they have no brain and do want tourist to have a brain either. :)

I always say, logic, brains, and common sense are left at the airport. You pick them back up on your way out.

In Chiang Mai, the few sidewalks there are, are usually blocked by phone booths and statues and what-not right in the middle of the pavements. No one has much choice about walking in the street. blink.gif

Same with Pattaya.

The side walks are littered with street vendors, public utilities, shops extending the frontage, food sellers, piles of rubbish, pot holes, persons soliciting (both genders).

Count the telephone boxes, who uses a payphone these days, and if you do need a pay phone there's nearly always one at the nearest 7/11 or mini mart.

In Jomtien there is even a restaurant that has closed off the side walk by extended it's frontage up to the curb.

Wonder if the new guy down at Soi 9 will be doing something about it???

Didn't yow know that one of the requirements when you pass threw immigration as a tourist is that you must leave your brain with immigrations because they have no brain and do want tourist to have a brain either. :)

I always say, logic, brains, and common sense are left at the airport. You pick them back up on your way out.

Well you do if you make it back to the departures lounge. Some visitors end up going home via the cargo terminal. Yesterday I saw a tourist step out in front of a car on Thappraya Rd. while looking the other way. Fortunately the car driver was on the ball on this occasion.

Koh Phangan doesn't have many sidewalks so I do understand tourists walking in the road, but what I don't understand is the need to walk 2 or 3 abreast on the side of a narrow road. Whatever happened to single file? /Oh and am I the only one who ever learned that you walk facing oncoming traffic? Don't see much of that either.

I do love a good tourist whinge. :)

Same with Pattaya.

The side walks are littered with street vendors, public utilities, shops extending the frontage, food sellers, piles of rubbish, pot holes, persons soliciting (both genders).

Count the telephone boxes, who uses a payphone these days, and if you do need a pay phone there's nearly always one at the nearest 7/11 or mini mart.

In Jomtien there is even a restaurant that has closed off the side walk by extended it's frontage up to the curb.

Totally agree

Try walking down the pavement on Soi Post Office, Soi Yamato, Soi Buakhao or Soi 6 :)

That's one of my pet peeves when driving aswell. If your coming from Jomtien along that stretch of Thappraya road that turns into second road in Sth Pattaya you will almost always have to veer around groups of Indians walking in the road 2,3,4 abreast. I usually have a look at the pavement and it's clear. Having worked in India quite a few times I know that's how it's done there, I just wish they'd realize they're not in downtown Bombay and stop blocking the road.

There is a difference between walking in the road, and walking in the MIDDLE of it.

Walking IN the road is something we all have to do. Walking in the MIDDLE of the road, you have to be void of any common sense at all to do so.

I think the 'leave brain at immigration theory' is about right

At the motor scooter queue at Esso for refill, Euro guy rides in unlit cig in mouth, no helmet of course, my bike being gassed up and he lights his cig, about 1.5m from pouring petrol. Attendant holding gas pump gave him the message that even he could understand. . . but?

What Part Of The World Do You Come From Where You do that?

Brilliant. lol

Here, they can walk on the beach sidewalk but choose to walk IN the road. I don't get it. Beach Road is not a road you want to walk in. Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see this, yet night after night I almost clip some dummy walking out in the road with his back turned to traffic. Usually, they walk in small groups.

Duh they think it's Walking Street.

I think the 'leave brain at immigration theory' is about right

At the motor scooter queue at Esso for refill, Euro guy rides in unlit cig in mouth, no helmet of course, my bike being gassed up and he lights his cig, about 1.5m from pouring petrol. Attendant holding gas pump gave him the message that even he could understand. . . but?

What Part Of The World Do You Come From Where You do that?

In the USA it is common for people to gas up their motor vehicles with the engine running. It is posted not to do this, but they do it anyway. Once I mentioned this to some one who was doing this and I just got a hostile response. Their are stupid people every where!

Same with Pattaya.

I can recomend the Mango pie their.

This is mandatory and required!

It's a heavy fine for walking in the road in Singapore where there is no crossing, also chewing gum and littering but don't think we would to be regulated like that here.

It's a 2000 baht spot fine for dropping cigarette butts here, never heard of it being enforced in Pattaya, people have been nabbed for it in Bangkok though!

This will more than likely stir up a can of worm's. But what do you expect in Pattaya. As you've got to be brain dead to go the in the first place.

Can't argue with that.

I can argue with that. At the very least I can spell 'there' I also know the difference between a plural and a genitive apostrophe. So who's the brain dead one?

Didn't yow know that one of the requirements when you pass threw immigration as a tourist is that you must leave your brain with immigrations because they have no brain and do want tourist to have a brain either. :D

Yeah brains like knowing the difference between through and threw??? :)

Didn't yow know that one of the requirements when you pass threw immigration as a tourist is that you must leave your brain with immigrations because they have no brain and do want tourist to have a brain either. :D

Yeah brains like knowing the difference between through and threw??? :)

This will more than likely stir up a can of worm's. But what do you expect in Pattaya. As you've got to be brain dead to go the in the first place.

Can't argue with that.

I can argue with that. At the very least I can spell 'there' I also know the difference between a plural and a genitive apostrophe. So who's the brain dead one?

Oops, the spelling and grammar police are on patrol.

Koh Phangan doesn't have many sidewalks so I do understand tourists walking in the road, but what I don't understand is the need to walk 2 or 3 abreast on the side of a narrow road. Whatever happened to single file? /Oh and am I the only one who ever learned that you walk facing oncoming traffic? Don't see much of that either.

I do love a good tourist whinge. :P

No, you´re not the only one. So we are TWO in the whole human species !

Do ask someone, they will all answer, you have to use the same side like cars etc.

May be that is the answer: They are all not used by walking, at home they only drive, so they act like driving a car ....

My daughter told me today, that even chimpanzees (anthropomorphous ape ) act in many situation more rational /intelligent compared to 10 years old human beings, cause for human beings, the most important think seems to be to act like all other human beings do. Adjustment to the social standard etc. .... even if it should be obvious that it is stupid !!!!!

So thats what is probably happening in Pattaya: They see other shit-heads walking in the middle of the road and they just adopt, meaning they do the same. Mostly people do not think before they copy the behaviour of other people. It is just copying .....

So here you have the main reason for stupid behaviour: No thinking, just copying. So that´s the main reason, why stupid behaviour does not happen just by chance with the same probability in every part of the world. No, there are centres of special stupid behaviour everywhere in the world. I think, I will leave it to your imagination to find more examples for this theory in the behaviour of tourists/Thais in Pattaya...

(f.e. tourist driving in Pattaya are mostly driving in the same stupid and dangerous way as Thais do. I guess at home, they did drive in a different way )