True (lack Of ) Logic

tonywebster

Well my iphone decided it was going to break, and 3500 baht to fix it, and since it is over two years old I thought I would go to True and buy a new iphone 3g.

Anyway I am a True customer, I have truevisions, True internet and True phone at home and I have a contract with True for my mobile phone.

So in the True shop I ask them the price for the phone and they present me two prices, one around 24,500 and one around 26,500. (16GB)

I explain i am already a True customer and i want to keep my number so which price would I pay, they tell me the more expensive one, the cheaper price is if I get a new contract. I tell them I am happy to go on the new contract but I need to keep my number as it is on my business cards etc. Anyway they decide to call customer service and I speak to the guy there, after about 10 minutes they decide that even as a True customer I have to pay the more expensive option if I want to keep my number.

I asked where their loyalty to me as a customer is, a new customer would actually get a better deal than a current customer that has used their services for 4 years, I asked them to explain how that can be right. They said I can open the new contract which I would have to keep for a few months and then cancel, this contract is 599 a month so again there is not benefit, it would still end up costing me the higher amount by having to pay for a contract that I would not use.

so in summary, a new number and a new contract pay 24,500, keep number and have to pay 26,500.

Even the guy in the shop and the guy at customer service agreed that the logic would say you should reward long time customers and seemed a little embarrassed and was keen to tell me that he just has to follow the instructions from management.

So i guess I will just get my new phone at MBK, get rid of TrueVisions and replace it with another satellite system and change my internet and phone provider at home.

I will send True and email explaining the above and see what response I get. If I get a favourable response (or indeed if I even get any response) I will join the new Flying Pigs Air Force that will need to be founded.

(I know I will get the normal response about it only being 2000 baht etc, if that is how you feel you want to respond and continue to overpay to these companies that show you no loyalty in return for your loyalty to them then please feel free)

I am happy to pay the price and have the inconvenience of changing if it means that I am not paying into True any longer, I have free time, not really an issue for me to change although I will need to keep my mobile number for incoming calls. The house phone, internet and tv I can happily change at my own pace.

It is a matter of principal, not a matter of money. I think loyalty should be rewarded with loyalty in return.

You Must have been in Thailand for some time. To have acquired All these True goodies, you also read TV. Then why are you complaining about True. As you must know by now, that they are the worst comp: in Thailand And maybe the world. Just get on with it. YOU decided to to use them. So what did you expect.

You Must have been in Thailand for some time. To have acquired All these True goodies, you also read TV. Then why are you complaining about True. As you must know by now, that they are the worst comp: in Thailand And maybe the world. Just get on with it. YOU decided to to use them. So what did you expect.

Ah so it is all my fault, thanks for that input. i used them because I have never had an issue with them until now. Are you suggesting that nobody should buy anything as in the future there could be an issue, or are you suggesting we should all take the advice of the forum (which I never asked for) and not give anyone a chance that has been bad mouthed on here?

personally i like to see for myself, I have lost no money, i have not been scammed, I had truevisions so i can watch football but now know there are other options, it made sense to have my tv, phone and internet all with one provider (does this make sense/ it does to me), but now they have shown no loyalty so I will change.

this thread is just to point out to others should they be wishing to buy an iphone from True, just watch which price you pay.

Thanks for the input anyway, but i lost the sweepstake, we bet on how long it would take the first 'it must be all your own fault' post to appear

This has been typical practice in the US for years. Best deal on the phone price is for new contracts. They eventually have gone to an upgrade discount once a contract is up, but it's still not usually as low as on a new contract.

At least in the US there is number portability where you can take the phone number to a new carrier. But all the carriers charge $1 or $2 fees to compensate for this.

Ah so it is all my fault, thanks for that input. i used them because I have never had an issue with them until now. Are you suggesting that nobody should buy anything as in the future there could be an issue, or are you suggesting we should all take the advice of the forum (which I never asked for) and not give anyone a chance that has been bad mouthed on here?

personally i like to see for myself, I have lost no money, i have not been scammed, I had truevisions so i can watch football but now know there are other options, it made sense to have my tv, phone and internet all with one provider (does this make sense/ it does to me), but now they have shown no loyalty so I will change.

this thread is just to point out to others should they be wishing to buy an iphone from True, just watch which price you pay.

Thanks for the input anyway, but i lost the sweepstake, we bet on how long it would take the first 'it must be all your own fault' post to appear

If you've been here for more than 3 month's then you must have read the report's about True. Yes it dose make sense to have all your egg's in one basket. I agree totaly. But not with that basket firm True. Did I use them yes, did I listern to the report's yes, did I take any notice no, did I get bittern yes, so was it my fault yes, Was it your fault, up to you to decide.!!!!

If you've been here for more than 3 month's then you must have read the report's about True. Yes it dose make sense to have all your egg's in one basket. I agree totaly. But not with that basket firm True. Did I use them yes, did I listern to the report's yes, did I take any notice no, did I get bittern yes, so was it my fault yes, Was it your fault, up to you to decide.!!!!

:D hindsight is a wonderful thing my friend, my sight has been well and truly hinded :)

I am happy to pay the price and have the inconvenience of changing if it means that I am not paying into True any longer, I have free time, not really an issue for me to change although I will need to keep my mobile number for incoming calls. The house phone, internet and tv I can happily change at my own pace.

It is a matter of principal, not a matter of money. I think loyalty should be rewarded with loyalty in return.

That would be my response as well. I have similar problems with magazines I write for. It seems Loyalty only goes one way... from the customer to the company and never from the company to the customer.

As far as logic is concerned... it does not exist in Thailand. You are better off using one of those stupid things Thai people have hanging off their vehicle's rear view mirror.

That would be my response as well. I have similar problems with magazines I write for. It seems Loyalty only goes one way... from the customer to the company and never from the company to the customer.

As far as logic is concerned... it does not exist in Thailand. You are better off using one of those stupid things Thai people have hanging off their vehicle's rear view mirror.

Absolutely Ian spot on.

Tony, not a latest gadget type but isn't it possible you can get one from an Apple store and just use your sim?

Absolutely Ian spot on.

Tony, not a latest gadget type but isn't it possible you can get one from an Apple store and just use your sim?

yes I checked today and the Apple store does have them and they guy I normally go to jailbreak it can jailbreak it, I was thinking I would have to go to MBK with no return policy (it is the return policy that made me ask at True, warranty etc).

the Apple store on Thonglor was slightly more expensive. after the nonsense with True (although I must add the staff were very good and had the same opinion as me) i decided to get my old one fixed, new LCD screen is needed to the guy has put an old one on for me for now and the new one should arrive in around a week.

To me its perfectly logical,

They got you as a client already and because you cant change your number you will stay there.

New clients they have to attract with good deals.

Happens like this all over the world new contracts in my country of origin are also better.

To me its perfectly logical,

They got you as a client already and because you cant change your number you will stay there.

New clients they have to attract with good deals.

Happens like this all over the world new contracts in my country of origin are also better.

yes I can't change my number, but I can certainly pay them less, drop my tv that is 2000, house phone normally 1000, internet 600 and my mobile normally about 3000, so 6600 will drop to around 500 as I will just keep that number for incoming calls and change to another provider for outgoing calls.

I recommend if you are going to send them an email, make sure it goes to the right person. Just sending it to some customer service manager will fall on deaf ears. They are low raking, have no authority, and could really care less about your problems. Do you really think some 29 yr old girl/guy with7 yrs experience is going to influence company policy? Your email will go in the trash bin.

A few years back I had some True problems. I went directly to the headquarters on Rachatapisek Rd. I dressed smart with business slacks and necktie. I even brought my girl friend dressed as my secretary. A high level director met me and I handed over some written letters explaining my complaint. They jumped through hoops to keep me happy. It took some work and research to get names and numbers, but in the end they solved my problems. I was very happy with that director's VIP support.

Loyalty to existing -even long time- customers has not been invented yet here, reflection of the 'anti-social' and 'self-centered' attitute and lack of intelligence here, because everybody knows that they loose customers easy this way, short time thinking !

In my country in Europe they call you when the year is over that you can come to the shop just to get a new phone, blackberry etc. -depending on your account- for free, when opening a mobile account you are overloaded with laptops and mountainbikes, but here after registering and paying soon as they got your money many they feel they don't need to be friendly anymore and turn away from you, bargirl mentality.

Living here for 10 years I've never had a drink for free in a pub, only in the foreign owned place.

• 1 month later...

I have found that customer service in any of the big stores is very hit or miss. I get very tetchy when parting wih my hard earned and do not receive an acceptable level of assistance which is why I usually deal with the smaller outfits. At least they seem to relate to the notion that the level of customer satisfaction is directly related to repeat business and the safeguarding of their jobs. I also find that in the smaller outlets the staff very often know something about the products they are selling. Depending upon my current state of mind I select one of two responses when confronted with a BS banner announcing 'the ultimate shopping experience'. The more usual one is that I am overwhelmed by a sardonic tsunami; the other, now seldom making an appearance thanks to the muted muttering of the phrase 'nam keng inside' by my personal arbiter of good taste and acceptable behaviour in Thailand, is a red mist rage. :)

Many people have the mistaken idea that making a complaint is a negative action. I do wish they would let me know what they have against improvement and technical and personal advancement. The adoption of 'zero defect' policies has a massive up side, whereas the 'mai pen rai' brigade seem to be content to ride on the back of others. A degree of tact when complaining is necessary and rather that prefacing remarks with 'why don't you do it this way', the question 'have you ever thought of doing it this way' often results in the problem being addressed.

I am a long time True Hater with vast experience dealing with their customer service representatives. That said,do not blame the front-line staff for the stupidity of the company. All transactions are preapproved by management and the poor employee has to work from a "script" and there can be no deviation from that script without consequences. I once called up to cancel my internet service because I was moving to a building without True internet service. I was told I could not cancel over the telephone and that I would be required to visit a True business office. I said that they could keep my deposit or donate it to charity. They said I would have to visit a business office for any kind of transaction with True. I asked what would happen if I just walked away? The girl said I would be "black listed". Not her fault. The company sucks.

True Visions reminds me of the cable TV monopolies in the USA in the 1970's. They were simply punchlines for jokes about terrible customer service.

To counter all of this Amazing Customer Service in Thailand I have adopted the belief that if I have very low expectations going in to any Thai business situation I will never be disappointed. If I get any customer service at all I am pleasantly surprised and count that as a win. Stress kills and making a game out of surviving customer service in the jungle serves me well.

For some there is no other option..

When the house was built 6 years ago there was no other option but True, today there is still no other option, asked only last week 3BB they go as far as the next Village only.. same price as True but for 4mb

On the PLUS side have never had a problem with True, have phone line + internet, in 6 years have had to call them out twice, both times they came the same day + fixed the fault FREE.. + 590 baht + vat for 3mb intenet is not bad + always appear to have 3mb or over, 3.4mb at moment.

This has been typical practice in the US for years. Best deal on the phone price is for new contracts. They eventually have gone to an upgrade discount once a contract is up, but it's still not usually as low as on a new contract.

At least in the US there is number portability where you can take the phone number to a new carrier. But all the carriers charge $1 or $2 fees to compensate for this.

Actually, once your contract is up in the US, you can cal them and bargain for all sorts of reduced rates and free options.

But to True, and slightly off topic, I received a letter on Saturday their new and improved television service.  As a leading customer-service oriented company, they are working non-stop to give us a better viewing experience.  And what is this great upgrade they are giving me?  Well, they are dropping Nat Geo Adventure, one of my favorite channels to add a Korean entertainment channel.  :)