Why Being A Dj Is Not Cool Any More

DJ Pat

The ONLY two DJ's I thought were ever cool were John Peel and Kenny Everett. Both deceased now.

Most DJ's I have ever heard have a rather inflated opinion of their own self-worth.

Don't forget Alan "Fluff" Freeman. He was the only DJ who realised it was the records people wanted to hear, not the inane drivel of a wannabee "entertainer".

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no doubt flames will come.

I found it funny and somewhat true. However, I do dj and have done for some 10years. Not fulltime more a passion. Never in it for the money except when I was a promoter. It is an art form on vinyl. 5hit now you get virtual dj on the 'puter and it will auto mix for you. Arh, progress.

I still dj from time to time. Its a hobby and I love the music I play.

During the 10 years of djing. I owed a club, imported internattie djs, put on some huge raves in Oz and owned a hotel.

Each to his own I suppose.

No pointing wasting time trying to convert people who have a hatred towards djs or don't like the genres involved in the dance music scene. I'm no show pony but I play well and the people who like what I play and how I perform (mix) are happy. And they are certainly not a bunch of losers. I also like live bands and love listening to live electonic music.

My 2baht

Carl

Oh and I agree with the "You play to the crowd" Thats why you dedicate events, parties, nights, shows etc to a certain crowd. Marketing. I play d'n'b but in my club I played retro because that made me money. But d'n'b is my passion.

Edited by carlthailand

Why don't you have a big glass of shut the ###### up. It's not about what you think, only what that person gets out of it. What do you get out of bashing it? As far as living like a Rock Star, thats living out in the open for every one to see. You should try it some time, you just might like it.

Let me guess, you were a bunch of wallflowers at your prom. Get over it, the world moves too fast. One can only imagine what you think about going out to a club or God forbid the Full Moon Party.

The ONLY two DJ's I thought were ever cool were John Peel and Kenny Everett. Both deceased now.

Most DJ's I have ever heard have a rather inflated opinion of their own self-worth.

With the exception of Sir Blurr could someone please tell me the meaning of cool. I am glued to the screen awaiting your response! FO

????? :D:D:o

I think the problem is a lot of guys out there think they can DJ, say so and people believe them.

Was on Koh Tao a while back and we had practically the whole island invited to this party in the Jungle. Then came the 'Pretenders'!

So I was helping out with the bar, these two 'DJs' Show up. I asked them what they were playing. They didn't have a clue, just mumbled something about the sounds being similar to what they played at some beach bar! These two guys must of just come in on the banana boat! Music was mis-matched, they couldn't handle the sound system and totally screwed up the tunes, we lost a lot of business as the night wore on! Spoke with the head gaffer who'd fronted the place and publicized the event about what the overall profit was...

It was barely above even! :o

The Djs weren't all to blame as the scumbag head policeman (and I use the term with great generosity) showed up wanting about 10,000 baht more 'tea money' for turning a blind eye!

I never got the DJ thing at all, and I know a handful of them. Great guys, but not musicians or even entertainers, just button pushers.

Is this right...you play other people's music and that is talented why? As said earlier, they are dinosaurs in this digital age. When I hear a club has a "special DJ" and charge more, I never go there. A blind one-armed man can press play on a piece of equipment without the babbling on the mic.

Oh, and all the free beer? WOW!

"Put your hands in the air...

and wave em like ya just don't care!"

######, I'm pumped up now!

I think many folks are jealous of the easy job DJs have, lighten up!

:D:D

Almost as easy as bar manager jobs eh ? :D

Luckily I own the place so the thai managers get the headaches, I just get pissed (in gogo bars) :D:o:D

(i can dream regarding the headaches :D )

Edited by davethailand

Stop being so hard on the DJs you lot - They provide a great service for people that can’t afford a live band.

At our cousin Sheila’s wedding “Gazz’s DJ Roadshow” was fantastic. He had an amazing string of flashing lights AND four coloured squares on the front of his console that each lit up in turn…. :D

He also seamlessly mixed the end of “Agadoo” with the start of the “The Birdie Song”..…pure brilliance…. :o

Stop being so hard on the DJs you lot - They provide a great service for people that can’t afford a live band. 

At our cousin Sheila’s wedding “Gazz’s DJ Roadshow” was fantastic.  He  had an amazing string of flashing lights AND four coloured squares on the front of his console that each lit up in turn…. :D

He also seamlessly mixed the end of “Agadoo” with the start of the “The Birdie Song”..…pure brilliance…. :o

Brilliant.

A good DJ's ability is to play tracks and KEEP A DANCEFLOOR FULL.

At our cousin Sheila’s wedding “Gazz’s DJ Roadshow” was fantastic.  He  had an amazing string of flashing lights AND four coloured squares on the front of his console that each lit up in turn…. :D

Brilliant.

:D

Did I say there was anyone on the dancefloor...? :D

Brilliant.

Actually this flies in the face of what a DJ once told me (OK - it was more than 10 years ago!). As he put it - The object is to play music to keep the dancefloor "busy", but not packed. If there are too many people dancing, there are too few in the bar drinking, and the place looses an opportunity to make money. He used to play the best music when the dance floor was getting quiet, and slow things down a bit it the floor got too packed. Very subtle, though - I used to hang out there a lot, and it was only after he told me I really noticed.

Trond