Same Sex Partnership Rights In Uk

Does anyone know what the rules are on registering same sex partnerships under the new law that starts in UK. Does anyone know if that registration has to take place in UK or can it be done at UK embassy in Bangkok.

Also does anyone know that when my Thai boyfriend accompanies me to UK for my next visit will we be able to register our partnership before we return to Thailand. Therefore be legally recognised as a same sex couple everytime we visit the UK?

Cheers

Malcolm

I know that if you have lived in a relationship akin to marriage for the 2 years preceeding your move to the UK, you will be allowed to apply for a spousal visa for your partner (assuming you wish to settle in the UK). If you can prove this to the embassy (eg common bills, rental agreements, bank accounts) according to the immigration rules a settlement visa will be treated under provisions available to common law couples.

Even though I am here in the UK, I am not really familiar with what the new changes will actually involve eg how you 'register', apart from that you'll have the same recognition under law as hetrosexual couples for all the practical day to day things.

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to meet a Registrar socially last week, and she said that it was still all very unclear as to what would actually happen vis a vis partners who are not resident in the UK. She said the only requirement she was aware of was that the two intending to 'marry' had to be resident for 7 days in the UK. I am assuming that there will be some specific kind of visa that will have to be used for the intended to enter the UK.

I would suggest trying the gay.com message board on immigration - there are some extremely well-informed people there (some are lawyers who were involved in many campaigns for people like us). Last time I chedked (a couple of months ago) they also did not know what the conditions would be.

Does anyone know if that registration has to take place in UK or can it be done at UK embassy in Bangkok.

I don't know the rules in the UK... must it be the UK? I'm personally acquainted with one American-Thai gay couple who emigrated to Canada together and were granted full rights as a married couple- believe they had to show evidence of cohabitation and being boyfriends- holiday photos together, names on leases, etc., etc. for 2-3 years. Apparently, the Canadian judiciary has taken the new equality of gay couples there very seriously- to the point where they have given stern warnings to various suspect immigration points that there had better be pretty strong reason NOT to give people gay partner-based visas, all other things being equal to similar straight couples who were being given visas.

"Steven"

I happened to meet a Registrar socially last week, and she said that it was still all very unclear as to what would actually happen vis a vis partners who are not resident in the UK.  She said the only requirement she was aware of was that the two intending to 'marry' had to be resident for 7 days in the UK.  I am assuming that there will be some specific kind of visa that will have to be used for the intended to enter the UK.

You'd assume the rules would be the same for hetrosexual couples. If one of the partners is a non-eu national, they will not be able to apply for a spousal visa if they marry in the UK (unless they first obtained a fiancee visa from their home country).