So What Is My Gf Allowed To Do In The Uk?

I think ive asked this before but cant find it anywhere.

Now my GF is coming to the uk :-

1. What happens should she need to see the doctor/dentist? does she just see my local GP like me?

2. When's she is ready when can she start work? How does she go about getting a national insurance number? (This is a way off but i keep getting asked by family and dont know the answer!)

3. To get married in the UK does she have to bring any paperwork from thailand?

4. Once married where do we apply for her to stay longer?

Sorry i know i repeat my self but i cant find what i have asked before?

Sorry i know i repeat my self but i cant find what i have asked before?

Many thanks

Hi BS,

1. Your fiancée is entitled to receive NHS treatment, so take her to your GP and get her registered.

2. She can't work until you are married AND she has the new stamp in her passport.

3. If she's never been married before then the only document she needs to get married is her passport.

4. Once you are married you apply to the Home Office for permission to stay longer. Check out their website here.

Scouse.

Edited by the scouser

Where do we get the new stamp in her passport when we are married?

When we are married and her last name changes where does she get this changed on her passport? in the UK?

Edited by BIG SPUDS

i think i have seen you reply to someone else but correct me if i am wrong,

when we marry she applies to stay before the 6 month visa is over, if she stays over the 6 months this is ok as long as we have applied!

Spuds, you might want to consider what the future Mrs Spuds will do for the first few months that she is in England.It's a long way from home and day time TV is a tad boring.My lovely wifey enrolled on an ESOL class at the local college a couple of weeks after she arrived in blighty and not only did it help her with her English but it also opened up a circle of friends from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Also I think it's sound advice to arrange for her to be regisered with youe doc and dentist.

Best of luck

Pie Boy

i think i have seen you reply to someone else but correct me if i am wrong,

when we marry she applies to stay before the 6 month visa is over, if she stays over the 6 months this is ok as long as we have applied!

This is correct assuming that your are bringing your girlfriend over on a fiancee visa, a vv forget it, but i guess you already new that.

A NINO can be applied for at your local DWP formerley known as the social security office. It entails your wife going to see them for a little interview where they will need your NINO and she will have to produce passport and some other form of I.D to confirm her address.

regards

My mom does only works a couple of hours in the morning, so GF is going to be spending a lot of time shopping and getting shown around by my mom.(while i am at work).

I'm not sure who is the happiest my GF is coming over, me or my mom. :o

National Insurance number is benefit or work enabled. They would not issue one until my wife had a job. She took 1 year to get one, but was able to work based on temporary number. Could not get benefit until she had number, but money was backdated.

National Insurance number is benefit or work enabled. They would not issue one until my wife had a job. She took 1 year to get one, but was able to work based on temporary number. Could not get benefit until she had number, but money was backdated.

Since April 05 Temporary NINO'S have been scraped,

You are entitled to a NINO if you require 1.

The law states "If you are actively seeking work you have a right to a NINO"

There are other examples of why a person can request a NINO without the need to be seeking work,i,e benefits etc.

Don't be fobbed off by the receptionist at your local DWP,

You request an interview for your wife at there earliest conveniance because she is actively seeking employment.

monkeypants

I'm not sure who is the happiest my GF is coming over, me or my mom.  :D

Congrats BS, I know what that's like, I'm in Oz on vacation now while my wife is still in Thailand. Mum has told me to not to come next year unless I bring Mrs Tiz.... :o

You apply to the Home Office for the new stamp and to the Thai embassy in London for the name change.

Scouse.

Scouse, forgive my thickness, but how exactly do we go about getting the passport stamp from the Home Office for my recently-arrived wife? I've looked at the website, but still not sure. Thanks in advance for any help. :o

The visa will constitute her leave to enter the UK and will be valid for 2 years from the date it was issued. Double check this by reading what's printed on it. If this is correct she doesn't need anything from the Home Office until about one month before the visa expires when you then make the application for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. When the time comes you fill in the relevant application form and send it off with the fee and supporting documents.

If the dates on her visa are not as I suggest then say so and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Scouse.

The visa will constitute her leave to enter the UK and will be valid for 2 years from the date it was issued. Double check this by reading what's printed on it. If this is correct she doesn't need anything from the Home Office until about one month before the visa expires when you then make the application for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. When the time comes you fill in the relevant application form and send it off with the fee and supporting documents.

If the dates on her visa are not as I suggest then say so and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks, Scouse, you're a diamond. So all we need to do right now is to send the passport to the Thai embassy in London to get the name changed?

Yes, although you don't have to change the name if you don't want to. As they say in Thailand, "It's up to you!"  :D

Anyway, got to go to work now :o

TTFN,

Scouse.

Thanks a lot, Scouse. Yet again, you've saved me (and the Missus) quite a bit of time and trouble. God bless. :D

Edited by Trebilcock

For Spudsie and anyone else in the UK worried that their newly-arrived partner might miss Thai food, movies, etc, my missus found a brochure for this at the local Thai takeaway today-

http://www.talardthai.com/index.asp#

So how's it going, Spudsie? Bought the ticket yet?   :D

I agree with johnq, prices are astronomical!!!! :D

6.20 a kilo for cucumber!!!! :o

29.99 for DVDs!!! :D

Don't know where you live Trebilcock but if its London there are many small Thai supermarkets that offer the same at much much lower prices.

Yes, BS when do we see the photos of you and Mrs BS outside the Bullring?!? :D

Edited by dereklev

I agree with johnq, prices are astronomical!!!!  :D

6.20 a kilo for cucumber!!!! :o

29.99 for DVDs!!!  :D

Don't know where you live Trebilcock but if its London there are many small Thai supermarkets that offer the same at much much lower prices.

Yes, now I've looked a bit closer, £6.20 for a kilo of tang-kwa is a bit steep. :D Maybe useful for those hard to find items or a treat though, like a special DVD or something. No Thai supermarkets in my town unfortunately, just a Chinese one.

Congrats BS, I know what that's like, I'm in Oz on vacation now while my wife is still in Thailand. Mum has told me to not to come next year unless I bring Mrs Tiz.... 

My Mum says to me, don't bring another one back! Funny breed, Mum's.

Spuds - try Thai4uk.co.uk - for Thai food and ingredients. Resonably priced and authentic also.

A chinese supermarket will generally have a lot of the staples you need, like Oyster Sauce, noodles, and rice (although probably not sticky rice) and some vegetables. Indian supermarkets can also be useful for vegetables and things like mangoes.

You'll be surprised at how the Chinese supermarket will now become your second home on Saturday afternoons (or at least that you spend almost as much there as at your local Tesco's).

• 2 months later...

Never met a thai who likes or will eat cheese?

anyone else?

My missuses girlfriend loves Mash Potato with gravy or to be trendy jus!!!

Those prices are astranomical !!!!!!!!!! (mostly) :o

You must be " Farung Jai dee mark " ( to afford that )

Make her eat beans on toast (lots of cheddar cheese) with a special treat of roast lamb on Sundays. :D:D

When in rome an all. !!!! :D