Thailand On Edge As Court Rules On Thaksin Billions

webfact

THAKSIN'S D-DAY

Majority of Thais believe in judges, but 1-in-5 doubtful

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The majority of people in the greater Bangkok metropolis still have confidence in the judiciary despite negative news about the justice system, a public opinion survey by Assumption University has found.

A total of 53.8 per cent of respondents said they had confidence in the judiciary's independence and immunity from any form of intervention, according to findings by the university's Abac Poll released yesterday.

But another 21 per cent of those surveyed said they had no confidence - while the remaining 25.2 per cent declined to comment on the issue.

When asked if recent rumours of bribes being offered to judges would affect confidence towards the judiciary, 52.9 per cent of the respondents said they did not think there would be any negative impact -compared to 23 per cent who expected some negative impact.

The survey was conducted among 1,106 people aged 18 and over living Bangkok and the surrounding provinces, on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Of the respondents, 21.2 per cent identified themselves as supporters of the current government, 18.6 per cent as non-supporters, and the remaining 60.2 per cent as neutral.

Among those identifying themselves as neutral, 60.5 per cent said they had full confidence in the Thai justice system and were convinced it was among the best in Southeast Asia , according to poll results. Another 18.1 per cent in this group had no confidence, while the remaining 21.4 per cent gave no comment. Slightly over 61 per cent of the "neutral" group said the public should accept the court verdict on the assets seizure case against ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, while another 20.2 per cent said the ruling should not be accepted.

When asked about the country's outlook, 87.6 per cent of those who said they took no sides saw Thailand's chance of outgrowing others in this region - if Thais had unity and maintained peace. Only 12.4 per cent disagreed.

Noppadon Kannikar, director of the Abac Poll, said that although the majority of those surveyed had confidence in the justice system, the number of people with no confidence was sufficient to cause concern over the country's stability.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It must be very worrying for the ruling élite if only 53% of the people in Bangkok and Surrounding Provinces think the judiciary is " independent and immune from any form of intervention"

This means that in the country as a whole a majority of Thais almost certainly have no confidence intheir justice system.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it is a dam_n cheek and downright misleading to conduct opinion polls in Bangkopk and surroudning provinces as thought the rest of the country doesn't count? No wonder the Red Shirts exist and no wonder a majority of Thais want Thaksin back!!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i just dont get it, Todays Bangkok Post features a convicted felon on the run on the cover enjoying his life.

Why do they give him such importance???

Er... because he is important and much loved by many people.

Quite simple, really. :)

Ummmm, both BBC and NewsAsia are reporting there are more reporters than Red demonstrators out at their stage. Would such a lack of support indicate anything? Quite simple really. :D

Can't wait for the "million" man march or whatever they are promising to come.... :D

Edited by Netfan

Its sure to be a fizzer people, the court decision will come and go and that will be it, except for more threats and properganda. :)

Isn't that a good thing?

I'm watching intently today but my greatest hope is that this is all a boring 'much ado about nothing' event.

Many questions to be asked about how Takskin managed to acquire so vast a wealth. Someone earlier made a comparison with the wealth acquired by great entrepreneurs such as Gates and Walton. With both of these you can see their contribution and how their luck, skill, vision or whatever brought them enormous wealth. With Taskin it is difficult to see how this was acquired especially as it all comes from the period when he was otherwise engaged - ie as a politician. Those few people here who make comments in support of him could do well to look no further than people like the Marcos, Shah of Iran, Idi Ami and so on. All gained huge wealth by manipulating national assets, manipulating the rule of law and so on. And all ignored the rights of others. Here we have a man and a family who were so greedy that they considered all their actions to be above the law. They have no shame, no face.

When people steal the wealth of a country in this way, they trample on the human rights of those people at the bottom of the greasy pole - yes those people who grow the rice, kill the chickens and do the work that enables the rest of us to eat and live. Is it really OK to acquire the wealth of a small nation while looking people in the eye and telling them that you are on their side? The poor of the villages - who support T because they once received 500 baht - do themselves a disservice by believing that the return of Thaksin, with his ill-gotten gains would equate to more riches (500b) and democracy. There is nothing more undemocratic than buying votes or ignoring the rule of law or running the nation as if it was your personal fiefdom.

Thaksin has performed a simple sleight of hand with a gullible population believing that the tricks were real - ie that Thanksin really cared about them. It is clear that all he cared about was himself and now he has - unbelievably - created the greatest con trick of all time by making people fight for 'his' wealth that he stole in the first place! Is this Robin Hood in reverse?

He has used every trick in the book to try to gain the hearts and minds of the population. Can you imagine a western politician saying some of the things that Thaksin has said? They would be too embarrased. But this man appears to have no shame at all. He really is the original snake oil salesman with no morals, no shame and, I must say, very little intellect.

Whoa! Just a minute please. Your are talking about Shin Corp. This was a very risky business at the time. If they had lost a couple bird they would have burned through the 5 Mil Baht Thaksin had borrowed. If you have technology acumen at all you would know that was a very real possibility and a high probability for a first time communications investor. These were the first satellites owned from within Thailand. Before this the Thai military had to lease space on foreign owned satellites. At the time the military heralded him for providing the secure satellite that the miltary need to protect Thailand.If you compare that to Bill Gates you will see that Gates bartered with a DOS program that he did not own. He copied in a sense the Apple graphics interface building Windows. Nothing so special about that. I supposed that you would insist the Bill Gates give back all his microsoft earning back because of the shady DOS deal that he started with. Sam Walton is a different case. He recognized the market niche that existed for small rural communities and bet the bank that he could contain costs and make it profitable.

Regarding the Thaksin plan to assist poor Thais. I believe you've been asleep for the last 1-2 years. I believe that there are far grander plans to attract the poor Thais now being proposed.

In conclusion I must say Your post has so much misinformation it would be laughable if any intelligent person would swallow it. The one thing that clearly comes out though is your rabid hatred for Mr. Thaksin. For that I feel very sorry for you.

I suggest that you be come more informed and not repeat so many things that you obviously had heard for other equally uninformed people and have so little understanding of.

Bill gates wasn't an elected prime minister of a country

i just dont get it, Todays Bangkok Post features a convicted felon on the run on the cover enjoying his life.

Ummmm, both BBC and NewsAsia are reporting there are more reporters than Red demonstrators out at their stage. Would such a lack of support indicate anything? Quite simple really. :D

Can't wait for the "million" man march or whatever they are promising to come.... :D

the reds have already said that there will be no protests today so why would you be expecting more people today?

Whoa! Just a minute please. Your are talking about Shin Corp. This was a very risky business at the time. If they had lost a couple bird they would have burned through the 5 Mil Baht Thaksin had borrowed. If you have technology acumen at all you would know that was a very real possibility and a high probability for a first time communications investor. These were the first satellites owned from within Thailand. Before this the Thai military had to lease space on foreign owned satellites. At the time the military heralded him for providing the secure satellite that the miltary need to protect Thailand.If you compare that to Bill Gates you will see that Gates bartered with a DOS program that he did not own. He copied in a sense the Apple graphics interface building Windows. Nothing so special about that. I supposed that you would insist the Bill Gates give back all his microsoft earning back because of the shady DOS deal that he started with.

I think you got it wrong mate, Bill and his mates invented the Graphical User Interface, and took it to Apple. Apple pretended not to be interested and secretly got on with creating their own, leading to a race for the finish line, Until Windows 95, DOS was always needed to run the secondary GUI operating system, nobody knew of an alternate method, DOS was a licenced product and paid for, so how can you come up with a comparison for Bill Gates wealth and that of the Thieving Basturd called Thaksin. For someone who is obviously quite intelligent I have to ask why you would want to defend such a selfish, geedy, person like Thaksin. Don't tell me you got a red shirt on!!

Hasn't Thaksin frequently said that he wants to eradicate poverty, help the poor and stimulate the economy?

Here is how he could achieve his goal indirectly:

Should his assets be seized why not divide them equally among all Thais who earn less than 100K a year?

opalhort

If you think even one satang of the seized 76billion will go to any poor thai you are so naive

Edited by unclejunta

Many questions to be asked about how Takskin managed to acquire so vast a wealth <snip> ...

Yes. And all the unusually wealthy army generals got all their money from their pay-packets. Right? :)

Another member who seems to think that to speak out against Thaksin's corrupt behaviour is to defend someone else's. It doesn't.

the reds have already said that there will be no protests today so why would you be expecting more people today?

I don't know. wasn't me that was expecting them. but maybe others were because they built a stage and Thaksin, is making a televised speech to the supported, I mean supporters.

Edited by Netfan

Whoa! Just a minute please. Your are talking about Shin Corp. This was a very risky business at the time. If they had lost a couple bird they would have burned through the 5 Mil Baht Thaksin had borrowed. If you have technology acumen at all you would know that was a very real possibility and a high probability for a first time communications investor. These were the first satellites owned from within Thailand. Before this the Thai military had to lease space on foreign owned satellites. At the time the military heralded him for providing the secure satellite that the miltary need to protect Thailand.If you compare that to Bill Gates you will see that Gates bartered with a DOS program that he did not own. He copied in a sense the Apple graphics interface building Windows. Nothing so special about that. I supposed that you would insist the Bill Gates give back all his microsoft earning back because of the shady DOS deal that he started with.

I think you got it wrong mate, Bill and his mates invented the Graphical User Interface, and took it to Apple. Apple pretended not to be interested and secretly got on with creating their own, leading to a race for the finish line, Until Windows 95, DOS was always needed to run the secondary GUI operating system, nobody knew of an alternate method, DOS was a licenced product and paid for, so how can you come up with a comparison for Bill Gates wealth and that of the Thieving Basturd called Thaksin. For someone who is obviously quite intelligent I have to ask why you would want to defend such a selfish, geedy, person like Thaksin. Don't tell me you got a red shirt on!!

Are you talking about C-E-M-E-N-T ? CEMENT refers to CE, ME and NT operating systems right in that line and that's what we got. Bloating OSs.

If they seize this money the only right and just thing to do would be to divide it equally among all Thai citizens. If they deem he stole it, that is who he stole it from.

Not every Thai citizen, just the ones he actually stole it from, namely the ones that pay taxes.

TH

What this case is about is Thaksin breaking Thai laws and not about who is in power at the moment or in the future. So if proved guilty by the Thai independent courts then Thaksin must legally face the punishment that is imposed with the judges wisdom. That Thailand needs a peoples party to overcome the elite ruling class is another issue entirely and lets not forget that. Thaksin it seems has almost certainly been cashing in on this need for a peoples government for many years and corruptly using his power to primarily feather his own nest. So Thaksin is not the answer to fair democracy for the people by the people. All Thaksin did was to give them hope using his skill as a confidence trickster, a very normal con of offering a few attractive small carrots to allow him to reap a huge harvest of personal wealth. Of that I cannot see how anyone can disagree without pulling the wool over their eyes.

So lets peacefully get this case out of the way and all honest Thais to accept its judgement and then get the people to form a none elitist peoples party and democratically and fairly stand for an election in the near future. An election monitored by the UN or other outside independent unbiased body to preclude election fraud. Is this so difficult to achieve or just too much common sense and intelligence ??

neither was Thaksin if you believe some of the shit written on here

That is because these people think the votes of the poor and uneducated dun count for shit. And that all of them country bumpkins had their votes bought by Thaksin

Quote from the piece by Danny Kemp:

"His "Red Shirt" supporters, largely from his stronghold in Thailand's poor north and north-east, loved his populist policies and accuse the current government of being an unelected elite that has hijacked their democratic rights.

The tycoon's opponents in the Bangkok-based circles around the palace, military and bureaucracy accuse Thaksin of being corrupt, dictatorial and of threatening Thailand's widely revered monarchy.

Deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who is in charge of national security, tried to play down the wider significance of the case, saying it concerned only Thaksin's wealth."

I suggest both of these paragraphs are, in reality, a little off the real situation and if the writer wanted balance then there should have been a little more detail:

P1: ".....accuse the current government of being an unelected elite that has hijacked their democratic rights. ...... "

The truth is that Thai politics has been strongly dominated (read hijacked) since 1932 by unscrupulous, incapable, ruthless and dishonest people (pretty much all parties and across all of Thailand), and on mass, they have manipulated and used Thai voters for many decades, thaksin and his cronies included. To now say that the current government has "hijacked their democratic rights" is less than truthful and is not a balanced comment. It's also interesting to note that this term 'hijacked their democratic rights' and similar terminology only appeared a few months ago. I wonder why / I wonder where these new terms came from. Is it from thaksins clever spin doctors?

Also the term 'elite' only appeared a few months ago, again where did this word suddenly spring from

again I ask the question, from thaksins spin doctors perhaps trying to manufacture a 'mr. nasty'?

I note also that the writer failed to mention rampant 'vote buying' in the area where thaksin remains popular because of his polulist policies (read handouts).

P2. ".....The tycoon's opponents in the Bangkok-based circles around the palace, military and bureaucracy accuse Thaksin of being corrupt, dictatorial ....." Again I ask the question 'Where does this phrase ".....circles around the palace....." come from.

The writer might like to remember that the starting point of all that has happened in the last 4 or 5 years years was the PAD / the yellow shirts, which had a very mixed leadership who could not really be labelled as coming from 'circles around the palace', and the pretty big yellow membership mostly came from the middle classes who wanted a very corrupt man removed, and all of this started well before the sale to temasuk.

Again I ask the question, where did this term 'circles around the palace' appear from, I wonder again, is this thaksins clever spin doctors perhaps trying to manufacture a 'mr. nasty'?

I totally agree with you. It seems a lot of people who live or lived in Bangkok choose to forget some of the shenanigans this guy got up to. Like the plan to divide Bangkok into 3 'Entertainment Zones' of which HE had control of. The rest of Bangkok would be subjected to HIS BiB friends and their corrupt follies. Don't forget the War on Drugs in which 3,000 people were summarily executed by his mates in the BiB. This guy is just waiting for all these bad memories to fade to add a lustre of sainthood to his martyred spirit. What a prize W_anker.

Where are Shinawatra kids today?

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The three children of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra and his ex-wife Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra are not attending the much-awaited reading of the verdict today on their Bt76-billion frozen assets.

None of them is travelling overseas or making any statements after the Supreme Court's verdict has been read out, their publicists say, adding: "They are at a safe house in Bangkok."

The reading of the verdict is expected to begin at 2pm today, once the judges convene at 1.30pm.

Meanwhile, Thaksin will be addressing MPs and Pheu Thai Party members via a phone-link at the party headquarters. Leading figures expected to be there include former premiers Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and Somchai Wongsawat - Thaksin's brother-in-law - along with his wife Yaowapa, Thaksin's brother Payap and sister Yingluck.

Thakin's live messages will also be broadcast from 9am on a satellite channel and the website run by his two children.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's whereabouts are being kept confidential due to security concerns.

A war room has been set up at the Democrat Party's headquarters, where the situation will be monitored all day and daily meetings will continue "until the situation is eased". Most Democrats and party MPs are advised not to go to the courtroom, except for former leader Banyat Banthadthan, who is a lawyer. The war room's operations and the Democrat Party's daily meetings will be coordinated with a situation-monitoring committee set up by the government.

Army chief General Anupong Paochinda is on standby at the Army Headquarters, as are commanders of the Navy and the Air Force.

The three core red-shirt leaders - Veera Musigapong, Nattawut Saikua and Jatuporn Promphan - are at the People Channel TV station at a shopping mall on Lat Phrao Road and are expected to make statements after the verdict is read out.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-26

His ex-wife is in a safe house in BKK ????????

What about her jailtime ?

Is it allready forgotten?

I saw her "entre' " on the thai news,she was treated as a queen !

Everyone bowing as slaves (also police and military)

Is this normal? :)

"Is this normal?" Yes this is Thailand.

There's some crap speeled on this thread.

If a drug dealer gets caught, do they simply get taxed on the $10m found in off-shore accounts, or is the entire amount confiscated? Now there is a comparison for Taksin's wealth and that of his entire family, his dumb bitch daughter was working in McDs on a publicity stunt, so how come she can claim to have fairly earned her billions.

Lets see now...

Purchased loads of land around svanipumi at marsh land prices, and then resold it to his government at a vastly over-rated price, knowing all along it was gonna be the sight for the new airport.

Promised every poor villager, that they would have electric to their homes, fair-play he did it, investing millions of tax payers money to build the grid and supply the houses then he privatized it and guess who bought most of the shares, since then electric prices have quadrupled in 8yrs.

He's not the only one at this game they're all doing it, it's how the rich get rich in Thailand, but while you are prime-minister, your taking the pi$$, and his wealth has increased 6 fold since taking office, obviously he can account for a small portion, after all he was on a salary, but outside of this small portion, it is corrupt money and should be confiscated.

Are you all aware of the latest...

gasohol production is in the hands of the elite and wealthy, with their power, they wanted to ban all regular fuel from the forecourts, so everybody has buy gasohol, the car manufacturers were up in arms, saying that it's not good for their engines, the elite and wealthy tried to silence them with higher import taxes, when that didn't work, they stuck a levy on the normal benzine at the forecourt, so much that you now find some garages will no longer sell regular fuels. Gasohol produces no go power for your car, it's a joke it's like diluting the fuel, only you can't use water so they manufacture alcohol for the job, you will find with a 10% mixture, your car goes 10% slower, and instead of 10l per 100km, you'll find yourself burning 11l to go the same distance.

I read the first paragraph and then just gave up. If you don't understand the difference between and illegal enterprise and and perfectly leagal enterprise, SHim Corp. then I don't have time to read the rest of youor post.

Regards,

I don't know. maybe because they built a stage and Thaksin, is making a televised speech to the supported, I mean supporters.

and like I said, they have already said there will be no protests today, I don't recall them saying thousands were going to turn up today for any purpose, so again why are you expecting there to be more and why are you trying to read something into a subject that is so trivial and has no bearing on anything to be fair. The time will come when we will see how much support Thaksin or his party have at the next election. cock waving about crowd sizes is quite petty really considering it means sod all.

Are you talking about C-E-M-E-N-T ? CEMENT refers to CE, ME and NT operating systems right in that line and that's what we got. Bloating OSs.

How about some CE-ME-NT shoes for the bloke in the CH-AO-PR-AY-A River?

Where are Shinawatra kids today?

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The three children of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra and his ex-wife Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra are not attending the much-awaited reading of the verdict today on their Bt76-billion frozen assets.

None of them is travelling overseas or making any statements after the Supreme Court's verdict has been read out, their publicists say, adding: "They are at a safe house in Bangkok."

The reading of the verdict is expected to begin at 2pm today, once the judges convene at 1.30pm.

Meanwhile, Thaksin will be addressing MPs and Pheu Thai Party members via a phone-link at the party headquarters. Leading figures expected to be there include former premiers Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and Somchai Wongsawat - Thaksin's brother-in-law - along with his wife Yaowapa, Thaksin's brother Payap and sister Yingluck.

Thakin's live messages will also be broadcast from 9am on a satellite channel and the website run by his two children.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's whereabouts are being kept confidential due to security concerns.

A war room has been set up at the Democrat Party's headquarters, where the situation will be monitored all day and daily meetings will continue "until the situation is eased". Most Democrats and party MPs are advised not to go to the courtroom, except for former leader Banyat Banthadthan, who is a lawyer. The war room's operations and the Democrat Party's daily meetings will be coordinated with a situation-monitoring committee set up by the government.

Army chief General Anupong Paochinda is on standby at the Army Headquarters, as are commanders of the Navy and the Air Force.

The three core red-shirt leaders - Veera Musigapong, Nattawut Saikua and Jatuporn Promphan - are at the People Channel TV station at a shopping mall on Lat Phrao Road and are expected to make statements after the verdict is read out.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-26

His ex-wife is in a safe house in BKK ????????

What about her jailtime ?

Is it allready forgotten?

I saw her "entre' " on the thai news,she was treated as a queen !

Everyone bowing as slaves (also police and military)

Is this normal? :)

"Is this normal?" Yes this is Thailand.

As mentioned this is BURAMEE

That is because these people think the votes of the poor and uneducated dun count for shit. And that all of them country bumpkins had their votes bought by Thaksin

So in the North East was no vote buying.....Even with the speaker on the pickup they told to pay 200 Baht per vote. It is simply impossible to change the history. Millions of people know it.

So in the North East was no vote buying.....Even with the speaker on the pickup they told to pay 200 Baht per vote. It is simply impossible to change the history. Millions of people know it.

members from all parties have been found to be involved in vote buying. Now post some proof about the pick up or it didn't happen. quite simple really. too many people posting hyperbole hoping to swing the discussion their way, how sad.

What this case is about is Thaksin breaking Thai laws and not about who is in power at the moment or in the future. So if proved guilty by the Thai independent courts then Thaksin must legally face the punishment that is imposed with the judges wisdom. That Thailand needs a peoples party to overcome the elite ruling class is another issue entirely and lets not forget that. Thaksin it seems has almost certainly been cashing in on this need for a peoples government for many years and corruptly using his power to primarily feather his own nest. So Thaksin is not the answer to fair democracy for the people by the people. All Thaksin did was to give them hope using his skill as a confidence trickster, a very normal con of offering a few attractive small carrots to allow him to reap a huge harvest of personal wealth. Of that I cannot see how anyone can disagree without pulling the wool over their eyes.

So lets peacefully get this case out of the way and all honest Thais to accept its judgement and then get the people to form a none elitist peoples party and democratically and fairly stand for an election in the near future. An election monitored by the UN or other outside independent unbiased body to preclude election fraud. Is this so difficult to achieve or just too much common sense and intelligence ??

Just how would you classify the 5000 baht being doled out in some selected rural moo baans. Logic would require that you condem the current policy 15 times harder that the 300 baht that many of you claim Thaksin gave to poor farmers.

Unless you live in the selected moo baans you probably haven't heard this program mentioned.

There's some crap speeled on this thread.

If a drug dealer gets caught, do they simply get taxed on the $10m found in off-shore accounts, or is the entire amount confiscated? Now there is a comparison for Taksin's wealth and that of his entire family, his dumb bitch daughter was working in McDs on a publicity stunt, so how come she can claim to have fairly earned her billions.

Lets see now...

Purchased loads of land around svanipumi at marsh land prices, and then resold it to his government at a vastly over-rated price, knowing all along it was gonna be the sight for the new airport.

Promised every poor villager, that they would have electric to their homes, fair-play he did it, investing millions of tax payers money to build the grid and supply the houses then he privatized it and guess who bought most of the shares, since then electric prices have quadrupled in 8yrs.

He's not the only one at this game they're all doing it, it's how the rich get rich in Thailand, but while you are prime-minister, your taking the pi$$, and his wealth has increased 6 fold since taking office, obviously he can account for a small portion, after all he was on a salary, but outside of this small portion, it is corrupt money and should be confiscated.

Are you all aware of the latest...

gasohol production is in the hands of the elite and wealthy, with their power, they wanted to ban all regular fuel from the forecourts, so everybody has buy gasohol, the car manufacturers were up in arms, saying that it's not good for their engines, the elite and wealthy tried to silence them with higher import taxes, when that didn't work, they stuck a levy on the normal benzine at the forecourt, so much that you now find some garages will no longer sell regular fuels. Gasohol produces no go power for your car, it's a joke it's like diluting the fuel, only you can't use water so they manufacture alcohol for the job, you will find with a 10% mixture, your car goes 10% slower, and instead of 10l per 100km, you'll find yourself burning 11l to go the same distance.

I read the first paragraph and then just gave up. If you don't understand the difference between and illegal enterprise and and perfectly leagal enterprise, SHim Corp. then I don't have time to read the rest of youor post.

Regards,

Which just about sums up Thaksin supporters. If they dont agree with what is said, or if something criticises their illustrious leader, then give it the big old X.

Its called playing with a stacked deck. A game that Thaksin perfected :D

:)