• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline update:

9.10 am: Nine Supreme Court judges seen entering their private chamber to debate the Bt76 billion asset seizure case.

The judges are expected to read out their individual opinions before forming the judicial decision.

Wireless signals are jammed to prevent leaks.

By 10.00 am: Democrats and Pheu Thai MPs start arriving at their respective parties to monitor the situation.

Red shirts in Udon Thani congregate at a pro-Thaksin radio station to keep tap on the verdict.

Red shirts in Chiang Mai assemble at an empty lot in front of Waroros Grand Palace Hotel.

-- The Nation 2010-01-26

What a crap to read every day I dont understand Thai Visa that you print on your webb page and so many besser wisser know here what he did and not did. he was rich before he became prime minster and that seems to be the nail in the I of many people .

The Nation only writes what the government want to write made up storys.

Edited by SM7WGP

What a crap to read every day I dont understand Thai Visa that you print on your webb page and so many besser wisser know here what he did and not did. he was rich before he became prime minster and that seems to be the nail in the I of many people .

You obviously have very little understanding about what Thaksin did and where it is up to at the moment. The fact of the matter is that even though he was wealthy prior to obtaining office he increased his wealth some six fold throughout this term which prosecutors have argued was benefit to him and his family obtained ILLEGALLY through his abuse of power. How about you go away and READ about Thaksin before you put your foot in your mouth with stupid remarks like that.

If they seize this money the only right and just thing to do would be to divide it equally among all Thai citizens. If they deem he stole it, that is who he stole it from.

I'm in agreement with you on this one, that would be the most appropriate thing to do.

Quote from the piece by Danny Kemp:

"His "Red Shirt" supporters, largely from his stronghold in Thailand's poor north and north-east, loved his populist policies and accuse the current government of being an unelected elite that has hijacked their democratic rights.

The tycoon's opponents in the Bangkok-based circles around the palace, military and bureaucracy accuse Thaksin of being corrupt, dictatorial and of threatening Thailand's widely revered monarchy.

Deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who is in charge of national security, tried to play down the wider significance of the case, saying it concerned only Thaksin's wealth."

I suggest both of these paragraphs are, in reality, a little off the real situation and if the writer wanted balance then there should have been a little more detail:

P1: ".....accuse the current government of being an unelected elite that has hijacked their democratic rights. ...... "

The truth is that Thai politics has been strongly dominated (read hijacked) since 1932 by unscrupulous, incapable, ruthless and dishonest people (pretty much all parties and across all of Thailand), and on mass, they have manipulated and used Thai voters for many decades, thaksin and his cronies included. To now say that the current government has "hijacked their democratic rights" is less than truthful and is not a balanced comment. It's also interesting to note that this term 'hijacked their democratic rights' and similar terminology only appeared a few months ago. I wonder why / I wonder where these new terms came from. Is it from thaksins clever spin doctors?

Also the term 'elite' only appeared a few months ago, again where did this word suddenly spring from

again I ask the question, from thaksins spin doctors perhaps trying to manufacture a 'mr. nasty'?

I note also that the writer failed to mention rampant 'vote buying' in the area where thaksin remains popular because of his polulist policies (read handouts).

P2. ".....The tycoon's opponents in the Bangkok-based circles around the palace, military and bureaucracy accuse Thaksin of being corrupt, dictatorial ....." Again I ask the question 'Where does this phrase ".....circles around the palace....." come from.

The writer might like to remember that the starting point of all that has happened in the last 4 or 5 years years was the PAD / the yellow shirts, which had a very mixed leadership who could not really be labelled as coming from 'circles around the palace', and the pretty big yellow membership mostly came from the middle classes who wanted a very corrupt man removed, and all of this started well before the sale to temasuk.

Again I ask the question, where did this term 'circles around the palace' appear from, I wonder again, is this thaksins clever spin doctors perhaps trying to manufacture a 'mr. nasty'?

"If you go down to the court today your in for a big surprise,

if you go down to the court today you won't believe your eyes,

for every red that ever there was,

is gathered round eating in force,

for today's the day the Shinawatra's have their loooot nicked."

You obviously have very little understanding about what Thaksin did and where it is up to at the moment. The fact of the matter is that even though he was wealthy prior to obtaining office he increased his wealth some six fold throughout this term which prosecutors have argued was benefit to him and his family obtained ILLEGALLY through his abuse of power. How about you go away and READ about Thaksin before you put your foot in your mouth with stupid remarks like that.

Wadsy this is ridiculous. Where did you get the six fold figure (out of thin air)? Try adding your numbers up. It is not possible, pure fiction. Please stop this insane propoganda. Perpetuating a lie doesn't make it become fact.

I appreciate that you are overwhelmed with your irrational rage but that is no excuse for repeating false statements.

Regards,

Thaksin's declared assets prior to taking office were 15 billion or there abouts. The Government froze 76 billion (that they were aware of) Thats about six fold in my book. Wait for the verdict and the reasons for it...........

:)

Can people in Chiang mai post here if there are any problems as the day unfolds as I'am going there today and would like to avoid any problem areas..Thanks Dave

Just came back from CM everything is normal. On the highway no more roadblocks than normal. All the people I know in CM are Thaksin fanatics and red shirts,but not one of them has the intention to demonstrate or whatever.

I even have some gutt feeling that his support in CM is declining, they have no intention to demonstrate to save his billions;

People in CM are too much worried that tourism will be affected by riots.

:)
Can people in Chiang mai post here if there are any problems as the day unfolds as I'am going there today and would like to avoid any problem areas..Thanks Dave

Just came back from CM everything is normal. On the highway no more roadblocks than normal. All the people I know in CM are Thaksin fanatics and red shirts,but not one of them has the intention to demonstrate or whatever.

I even have some gutt feeling that his support in CM is declining, they have no intention to demonstrate to save his billions;

People in CM are too much worried that tourism will be affected by riots.

I know many Thai people in Chiang Mai who are not red but they are afraid to show it, the reds are a little bit aggressive here you know.

Thaksin's declared assets prior to taking office were 15 billion or there abouts. The Government froze 76 billion (that they were aware of) Thats about six fold in my book. Wait for the verdict and the reasons for it...........

Didn't he put a huge amount of cash in his gardeners or drivers name so that he didn't have to declare it.

When caught out on this scam he said he had "forgotten" about *that* money and the courts ferkin *believed* him or similar.

Unfortunately he will *probably* scam out of the current situation somehow, no matter what the court decides today.

If you have nothing to add, stay quiet

TAN_Network: INN reporting that DAAD radio stations in Chiang Mai are inciting followers to arm themselves.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-02-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Now if anyone have doubts if these thugs are peaceful or not...

Good point...

I'm in CM. Nothing happening here. Maybe scare mongering will work someplace else.

I have examined the Tan network site but was unable to find anything that alledged red supporters to "arm themselves" could you please post a link to support your quote. I would be very interested to read about it.

To be fair to Mr. Shinegra, the bolded word above could change things. If he never paid taxes on much of his wealth or that wealth was not in his own name, he wouldn't be declaring it. Much of the wealth seized here was not even in his name so had he honestly declared his assets in 2006 a day before the coup, they likely would have been much less than 76 billion.

He is obviously very good at the shell game and hiding money - though it appears the Thai authorities aren't concerned with such rules and laws and who technically owned things - they seized everything that he controlled regardless of who owned it on paper.

Not making a judgement call one way or the other for either party - but what you have shown does not demonstrate he increased his assets by 6 fold upon entering office.

Didn't he put a huge amount of cash in his gardeners or drivers name so that he didn't have to declare it.

When caught out on this scam he said he had "forgotten" about *that* money and the courts ferkin *believed* him or similar.

Unfortunately he will *probably* scam out of the current situation somehow, no matter what the court decides today.

And he changed the law just before selling to avoid taxes. A corrupt populist and well-studied

A reader comment on The Nation's blog.

My assessment is the verdict will be guilty and that all will be seized, without any change given. After all, if one is decided guilty, one has to pay a penalty in addition to returning the money that was wrongfully gained.

But of course there are, in cases of this kind, other tempering factors are could be considered. But legally speaking, with no intention of disrespect to the courts, but just expressing an opinion, all has to be seized.

My assessment is the verdict will be guilty and that all will be seized, without any change given. After all, if one is decided guilty, one has to pay a penalty in addition to returning the money that was wrongfully gained.

But of course there are, in cases of this kind, other tempering factors are could be considered. But legally speaking, with no intention of disrespect to the courts, but just expressing an opinion, all has to be seized.

Let's say you win the lottery 100 Billion Baht when you are 45. When you are 55 you sell your house and don't pay your taxes on the profit. Are you really telling that the court should then take the 100 Billion Baht that you won from the lottery before you sold you house?

That is clearly a definition of insanity.

Now if anyone have doubts if these thugs are peaceful or not...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

some news station says some other station are inciting unrest.

does not mean it is true, so yes i still think there guys are a lot more peacefull then the yellows

Let's say you win the lottery 100 Billion Baht when you are 45. When you are 55 you sell your house and don't pay your taxes on the profit. Are you really telling that the court should then take the 100 Billion Baht that you won from the lottery before you sold you house?

That is clearly a definition of insanity.

we are taking here not about cheating the tax. In this case you also built this house with stolen money.