• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Majority of Judges Rule Thaksin Abuses Authority to Benefit Shin Corp

The majority of the Supreme Court judges ruled that former PM Thaksin Shinawatra abused his power as premier to allow Shin Corp unfair benefits which had cost the state financial losses.

-- TAN

They were sure about control of the brokerage account in another country (Singapore). I would have thought that would have been a more appropriate ruling from a Singapore judge not a Thai judge. What's going on here? Where's the part of apply the facts to the law part of justice?

Hmmmm Singapore law isn't the question. I personally would assume that the court has the information regarding the account directly from the Thaksin defense team and may have requested the information from the source itself through legal channels.

However, what I assume doesn't really matter. This ruling will follow Thai law which may or may not be the same as a law in some other place.

Majority of Judges Rule Thaksin Abuses Authority to Benefit Shin Corp

The majority of the Supreme Court judges ruled that former PM Thaksin Shinawatra abused his power as premier to allow Shin Corp unfair benefits which had cost the state financial losses.

-- TAN

There goes a chunk of his money......

Sometimes we forget that a lot of the decisons made to change rules and laws were only put through as cabinet resolutions without being put to parliament. These rush jobs look like they are coming back to haunt. A little more patience and use of what was a solid parlaimentary majority would have left decisions that would have carried a lot more weight when scrutinised by judges.

While maybe not in the same class as Tulsie, webfact and George have been keeping up on things nicely too :)

Agreed.

No harm in a bit of "brown nosing", eh ??

Seriously, it's at times like these if you've got the time boards like this, tweets form guys like Tulsi and even BP with his regualar commentary update make events like this much clearer for luddite non-Thai speaker/readers like me,

Well done to all.

While maybe not in the same class as Tulsie, webfact and George have been keeping up on things nicely too :)

Agreed.

No harm in a bit of "brown nosing", eh ??

Seriously, it's at times like these if you've got the time boards like this, tweets form guys like Tulsi and even BP with his regualar commentary update make events like this much clearer for luddite non-Thai speaker/readers like me,

Well done to all.

Even if you were near fluent this constant droning coupled with the nuance of the language used would wear you out! (I understand Thai fairly well but honestly the TV is just droning on in the background now .. nothing is sinking in for me!)

When you have a Court case in Thailand, the first thing that happens is that they try to get both sides to mediate it. They usually have mediation rooms below the courtroom. The mediator basically says I dont care what is the wrongs or the rights in this issue I just want to find a solution that is in everybody's best interest.

What is clearly in nobody's best interest is for the divisions within this country not to be resolved. There needs to be a degree of sacrifice from both parties.

Taking away all of Thaksin's money will solve nothing as will letting him keep all his money will solve nothing. So give him half back and say the balance was a fine for abuses. If he complains that he cant live off the balance it isnt going to do him any good. If people believe taking all his money will also not lead to further destructive confrontation they are somewhat naive.

When you have a Court case in Thailand, the first thing that happens is that they try to get both sides to mediate it. They usually have mediation rooms below the courtroom. The mediator basically says I dont care what is the wrongs or the rights in this issue I just want to find a solution that is in everybody's best interest.

What is clearly in nobody's best interest is for the divisions within this country not to be resolved. There needs to be a degree of sacrifice from both parties.

Taking away all of Thaksin's money will solve nothing as will letting him keep all his money will solve nothing. So give him half back and say the balance was a fine for abuses. If he complains that he cant live off the balance it isnt going to do him any good. If people believe taking all his money will also not lead to further destructive confrontation they are somewhat naive.

Abrak, I like the way you think.

Wow, a real-life Thai soap, eh?

Really rich people with exorbitant amounts of money - and in this case probably 'illegally' accrued fortunes.

From a lowly copper to a lowlife multi billionaire and maybe back again.

Have they taken lessons in crying. The tears could be real this time mind.

Who's going to write the rest of the synopsis. He's probably sold the film rights already though, shucks!

If they take all of his money....things will cool down, because he just won't have enough money available to pay for big troubles.

I have said the same thing all along, the only question that remains is the percentage split of the funds.

I really don't understand all of the detail. The question is are they going to keep his money or not. Why don't they just answer that question. All of this stuff can give weight to one side or the other but ultimately they can decide whatever they want on that issue.

I really don't understand all of the detail. The question is are they going to keep his money or not. Why don't they just answer that question. All of this stuff can give weight to one side or the other but ultimately they can decide whatever they want on that issue.

The purpose is to explain it first. So no side can tell that it is not fair.