The Thai Baht is moving on judgement day

The Baht is moving right now, that's for sure. Every time I refresh the page on xe.com I get a new price. Currently trending stronger went from 33.11 per USD to 33.0846 in the last fifteen or so minutes.

It never moves this fast. Gonna be a wild ride today, I don't know where it is headed but I'd love to see us at 34:1 by tomorrow morning, entirely possible I think.

The Baht is moving right now, that's for sure. Every time I refresh the page on xe.com I get a new price. Currently trending stronger went from 33.11 per USD to 33.0846 in the last fifteen or so minutes.

It never moves this fast. Gonna be a wild ride today, I don't know where it is headed but I'd love to see us at 34:1 by tomorrow morning, entirely possible I think.

Yes, it seems to be doing similar things with other currencys inc AUD.

Am I the only one waiting for the baht to take a whacking great hit against the pound so I can transfer some money at more than 50 bhat to the pound.

Pound and Euro have been tanking since late last year. Lets hope a little "hiccup" is in the wind!

:):D:D

Not possible, Thailand is one of the few countries that now protects its currency from hedge fund <deleted> so you have to pay a tax if you want to trade currency pairs which involve the baht thereby making it largely unattractive for currency investors.

H

Anybody know a place to see currency charts like you can see for stocks on finance.google.com?

I know lots of place to get the current price but I'd like to see the trend line.

yahoo finance

here is the link... click on the page link to give you the desired graph line over the desired period.

finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter

Am I the only one waiting for the baht to take a whacking great hit against the pound so I can transfer some money at more than 50 bhat to the pound.

Pound and Euro have been tanking since late last year. Lets hope a little "hiccup" is in the wind!

the pound is nose diving again this week mate,

unfortunately the baht is now linked to the US dollar,

unlikely to ever get above 50 to the pound,......ouch....

YanTree posted:

Anybody know a place to see currency charts like you can see for stocks on finance.google.com?

I know lots of place to get the current price but I'd like to see the trend line.

yahoo finance

here is the link... click on the page link to give you the desired graph line over the desired period.

Thanks, I'm already there but there is a long delay. Other services are instant but they don't have charts :)

Copy/Paste from my reply in old threa

yahoo finance

They default chart will give you the last 5 days. If you switch to the interactive chart, you can view a chart going back as far as 1999. The USD continues to gain against the Euro and Pound, but fall against the Baht. I've got a trip to Thailand coming up and I'd love to see the a dollar be equal to 35 baht again. Or back to just a few years ago when I could get 40 baht for $1.

But by looking at the chart, it looks like those of you in the EU have it much worse over the last few months.

Here's a chart that compares THB vs USD, Euro, Pound, and Australian Dollar.

Baht Comparison Chart

Use the buttons under the chart to change the time span from the last two years, to cover however far you want to go back.

The Baht is NOT linked to the Dollar and hasn't been so since 1997. Dollar Baht tracks USD/GBP and visa versa.

USD/THB is NOT moving unusually, it was 33.05 this morning at start of business, the average of eight Thai banks presently is 32.97, see for yourself

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Edited by chiang mai

The Baht is NOT linked to the Dollar and hasn't been so since 1997. Dollar Baht tracks USD/GBP and visa versa.

USD/THB is not moving, it was 33.05 this morning at start of business, the average of eight Thai banks presently is 32.97, see for yourself

Not pegged no.. But they try to manage it to keep it within a range..

The Baht for example far closer follows the USD than the GBP or AUD or EUR.. Presumably useful due to so many contracts agreed in USD terms.

USD/THB is not moving, it was 33.05 this morning at start of business, the average of eight Thai banks presently is 32.97, see for yourself

Not pegged no.. But they try to manage it to keep it within a range..

The Baht for example far closer follows the USD than the GBP or AUD or EUR.. Presumably useful due to so many contracts agreed in USD terms.

No, BOT tries to ensure that THB trades around the midpoint of a basket of regional currencies, they do also however try to ensure that there are no sudden large scale swings against USD but everyone in the region is trying to do the same thing so that manoeuvre is built into the regional basket concept. Finally, the pattern of GBP/USD mirrors almost exactly the pattern of USD/THB as can be seen here. http://news.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market...ncy/default.stm.

The THB is not exactly a liquid currency outside of Thailand like the EUR, GBP and USD are. On the forex sites like XE, INO, NetDania you will normally see the USD/THB rate jump around in 0.10 increments throughout the day. Nothing new not even on "Judgement Day"..

This one is great, thanks.

But is it accurate?? Did we really go down to 32.6 while I went for lunch and instantly spike back to 33.1??

You need to settle down Yantree and stop creating panic, it's not needed, especially on a day as important as today. The currency markets are behaving today as they do every day, there are swings, there movements, some of them are not small and sometimes BOT gets involved to protect the position of the Baht - things have working this way for years and today is no different than any other, on the Forex markets.

Here's the online real time exchange rates for the banks in Thailand, just change the currency at the top of the page and change the type to TT, nothings changed:

Edited by chiang mai

This afternoon £1 = 49.8 Baht at Bangkok Bank for me :D

Soon, the other half will have to start selling herself to pay the bills :)

Can anyone explain why the baht appears to hold steady (or even appreciate) whenever there is major civil unrest in Thailand (as was the case during the Songkran riots in Bangkok last year), whereas the £ seems to nosedive every time Gordon Brown sneezes?

You need to settle down Yantree and stop creating panic

:D This is hilarious. Note that I did not start this thread, it was started from a post I made in the other thread. If anybody is attempting to create panic it is the person who made this a stand-alone thread. Wouldn't be surprised if they email every member of this forum with:

"Expats Panic as Pound and Dollar Plummet Against the Baht"

And don't tell me they pulled this thread out to get this discussion out of that thread - they could have moved it to a much lower trafficked forum than this.

ThaiVisa loves creating panic. This site should be called ThaiPanic.com

Anyway, Baht not doing much, hovering around 33.05-33.08 now which is where it has been the last days.

:)

"It never moves this fast. Gonna be a wild ride today, I don't know where it is headed but I'd love to see us at 34:1 by tomorrow morning, entirely possible I think".

Can anyone explain why the baht appears to hold steady (or even appreciate) whenever there is major civil unrest in Thailand (as was the case during the Songkran riots in Bangkok last year), whereas the £ seems to nosedive every time Gordon Brown sneezes?

I can only guess but probably because the markets know what all of the expats know. None of this means anything and is just an excuse to sell more newspapers. It wont have any effect on anything that touches the lives of 99.9% of people in Thailand and it wont have any effect on trade, the economy etc etc etc.

Would be like the dollar going up or down based upon what happened in the Super Bowl.

YanTree posted:

yahoo finance

Thanks, I'm already there but there is a long delay. Other services are instant but they don't have charts :)

Check out (Google ) EGlobal-forex.com and on the left of the page "open a forex account" click on "open demo account"

Its free and leads you to download (free) meta trade FX charting system. Live streaming account.

You can load whatever currency pairings u want from their list covering most pairings.

You can demo trade if you want, or simply watch the price movements. Have many price movement indicators can use also in the charting system. Full instructions are included in the charting system.

Enjoy

The Central Bank, BOT, is actively engaged in keeping the Thai Baht within certain limits - those limits so they say are determined as the midpoint of a basket of regional currencies, that way the baht is deemed to be competitive within the region. THB is not a major currency in Forex terms so it doesn't take a lot of money to control its range, having said that, BOT has amassed a huge pile in foreign currency reserves (USD 135 bill) as it has sold Baht and bought USD and some of that has accrued from Forex activity.

The UK on the other hand, BOE, has a stated policy of not intervening in currency markets because the Pound is a major currency on the Forex market and the stated aim is to late market forces determine the true and appropriate level of the Pound, that's why when Merv speaks, the bottom falls out, every time.

The world seems to think that UK is even more of a basket case than Thailand right now I guess.

The world seems to think that UK is even more of a basket case than Thailand right now I guess.

The UK is a basket case but Thailand certainly is not, despite the unrest.

Thailand is a successful exporter with a balance of payments surplus and holds billions of USA government debt. The unrest is unlikely to affect this situation because Thai export businesses have long been succesful despite the government not because of it.

The Thai economy is sounder than the UK economy by a huge margin.

Edited by andyww