2010 Oscar Predictions

george

2010 Oscar Predictions

By Greg Jorgensen

82ndOscarStat-p.jpg

Bangkok, Feb 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Well, it’s that time of year again when we try and predict what a bunch of white bread accountants are going to decide while locked in a tiny room halfway around the world.

It’s Oscar season, people, and besides the Superbowl, it’s the most-watched TV event of the year. It’s never easy predicting the Oscar winners; in the end it’s a mixture of politics, fame, money, advertising and luck, and the annoying guy in your office may best Leonard Maltin’s picks if he guesses right. But it’s great fun to take a shot, so let’s have a look:

Best Picture Nominees: Avatar; The Blind Side; District 9; An Education; The Hurt Locker; Inglourious Basterds; Precious; A Serious Man; Up; Up in the Air

Best Director Nominees: James Cameron, Avatar; Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker; Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds; Lee Daniels, Precious; Jason Reitman, Up in the Air.

Best Actor Nominees: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart; George Clooney, Up in the Air; Colin Firth, A Single Man; Morgan Freeman, Invictus; Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

Best Supporting Actor Nominees: Matt Damon, Invictus; Woody Harrelson, The Messenger; Christopher Plummer, The Last Station; Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones; Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Actress Nominees: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side; Helen Mirren, The Last Station; Carey Mulligan, An Education; Gabourey Sidibe, Precious; Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actress Nominees: Penelope Cruz, Nine; Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air; Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart; Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air; Mo’Nique, Precious

Greg Jorgensen has been scouring the back alleys and lurking in the movie theaters of Bangkok since 2001. His biggest regret is getting a Gold Class ticket for Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones.

-- Source: thaindian.com

Best Picture Nominees: Avatar or Hurt Locker

Best Director Nominees: James Cameron, Avatar

Best Actor Nominees: Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

Best Supporting Actor Nominees: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Actress Nominees: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Best Supporting Actress Nominees: Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air

What date/time is the Oscar ceremony? Will our friends at True TV show it?

starts 5.30 pm PST (7thMarch if yr in USA) = 8.30 am (8th march in Thailand) :)

its on True by the looks from 8 am

post-15912-1267257946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

Best Picture : Avatar

Best Actor : Jeff Bridges

Best Actress : Meryl Streep

Best Supporting Actor : Christoph Waltz

Best Supporting Actress : Mo'nique

Best Directing : Kathryn Bigelow

Best Original Screenplay : The Hurt Locker

Best Adapted Screenplay : Up in the Air

Best Cinematography : The White Ribbon

Best Editing : The Hurt Locker

Best Art Direction : Avatar

Best Costume Design : The Young Victoria

Best Makeup : The Young Victoria

Best Original Score : Up

Best Song : The Weary Kind

Best Sound Mixing : The Hurt Locker

Best Sound Editing : The Hurt Locker

Best Visual Effects : Avatar

Best Animation : Up

Best Foreign Language Film : The White Ribbon

Best Documentary : The Cove

Best Short ,Documentary :Rabbit à la Berlin

Best Short ,Animation : A Matter of Loaf and Death

Best Short ,Film : The Door

My pick for Best Actor is Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart--He does a really terrific acting job as an alcoholic country western singer and actually does his own singing and guitar playing in the movie which is one of his passions in real life. I have not seen the other movies up for the award and am a bit predjudiced as Jeff is one of our home town boys here in Santa Barbara however if you enjoy watchining a good actor in an entertaining movie, this is a good one.

interesting to hear that Jeff bridges is a Santa Barbara homie...I saw Cutter's Way many years ago that was filmed there with Bridges and John Heard which was a good film but not recognized, dynamite performance also by Lisa Eichhorn...

I haven't seen any of the nominated films...ain't no cinemas where I live in Suphan nor in saudi where I just came back from but I am interested to hear that Vera Farmiga has been nominated...she gave an excellent performance in The Departed and Scorcese doesn't often write roles for women in his films...

Wow, somebody else remembers Cutter's Way!

I don't think Inglorious Bastards really rates, the only thing worthy in it is the Landa character. Brad Pitt plays a caricature, which makes it impossible to take it seriously.

anything but Avatar or the Hurt Locker for best picture would be pretty shocking.

Is Avatar really so great? It seemed to me to be a whole load of brightly coloured special effects together with an overused, crappy, and in this case ridiculous, story line. Plus some of the worst dialogue imaginable. I found it excruciatingly terrible. Still, tens of millions of American can't be wrong can they. Can they?

Hurt Locker on the other hand was a good movie, although I don't feel it was really Oscar material. But I guess if the competition is Avatar then it deserves to win.

some winners so far

Best Supporting Actor-- Christoph Waltz

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year-- Up

Best Original Screenplay-- Hurt Locker

Best Supporting Actress-- Mo'Nique

Best Achievement in Art Direction-- Avatar

Edited by Donnyboy

Best Achievement in Cinematography-- Avatar

Best Music, Original Score-- Up

Best Achievement in Visual Effects-- Avatar

Best Documentary -- The Cove

Best Film Editing -- The Hurt Locker

Is Avatar really so great? It seemed to me to be a whole load of brightly coloured special effects together with an overused, crappy, and in this case ridiculous, story line. Plus some of the worst dialogue imaginable. I found it excruciatingly terrible. Still, tens of millions of American can't be wrong can they. Can they?

Sure they can. It never ceases to amaze me what the critics say is great. I'm a writer and it REALLY bothers me when I see crap passed off as good script. Special effects just for the sake of special effects is boring.

My grandfather was an architect and artist. He often said that "Less is more"... meaning the understated often has greater effect than spelling it all out in great detail.

Best Actress -- Sandra Bullock

Best Director -- Katherine Bigelow

Best Picture - The Hurt Locker

that was stupid, they took so long for all other catagories, but rushed the Best Picture, gees talk about bad planning

My picks:

Best Picture : The Hurt Locker

Best Director : Kathryn Bigelow

Best Actor : Jeff Bridges

Best Actress : Sandra Bullock

Best Supporting Actor : Christoph Waltz

Best Supporting Actress : Mo'nique

Best Original Screenplay : The Hurt Locker

Best Adapted Screenplay : Up in the Air

7 out 8.

Not too bad.

But of course if I had actually put money on it, I'd have been 1/8.

Avatar was a masterpiece, but SciFi movies do not get picked for top honours. However guess all time grossing picture will suffice. Hurt Locker was a great movie, but at think Avatar changed how movies will be made. (ground breaking cinema event)

anything but Avatar or the Hurt Locker for best picture would be pretty shocking.

Hurt Locker on the other hand was a good movie, although I don't feel it was really Oscar material. But I guess if the competition is Avatar then it deserves to win.

I can't stand many popular movies that most people rave about, James Bond, Close Encounters of the Third kind, Indiana Jones, Independence Day, The Day after Tomorrow, Jurrasic Park, ect., however, I don't think that makes them bad. We all have different opinions on entertainment. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Avatar was a masterpiece, but SciFi movies do not get picked for top honours. However guess all time grossing picture will suffice. Hurt Locker was a great movie, but at think Avatar changed how movies will be made. (ground breaking cinema event)

It will, hopefully lead to one more category of films.

Maybe one should, in the future, try to implement some rule regarding how much amount of digitalizing/cartoons a film can have before it gets into another category (SciFi/cartoon/animated/etc) of films.

If not we might end up with the best Director wins because he/she directed the cartoons so good.

No question that Avatar will change the movie industry. The producers won't need a screen writer to write a logical plot. They will be able to elimenate highly paid actors and actresses out of the budget. They can hire a bunch of computer programmers to make a never ending bunch of video games where one Zygot kills another Zygot who is interferring with the plan to wipe out a whole planet of Koratonians.