Good (modest) Car For Expat And Family?

corkman

The Honda Civic isn't bad actually, that's the only one I find even remotely attractive to look at.

Actually the Honda Civic is very good.

If the OP can afford to shell out a bit more money, I would indeed go for that one.

More suited for a family than the City.

The only problem I have with the Civic is it seems too many people seem to drive one.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goodness - thats allot of replies, and quick too - thanks!!!

I will read through everything properly and digest.

The comment that stands out is someones remark about safety - namely that they would not want to be "hit hard" driving a small car by a pick up......

To that end, it is making me think should I be looking at a pick-up ..... the double cab type? On the face of it, they seem good value (not much more than a yaris!) but are there lots of hidden costs like super expensive insurance, road tax, etc. My first thoughts are that a "car" is more comfortable and easier to drive in Bkk traffic..... but safety is of concern also!

Anyway the market is totally upside down here as major German brands which hold much higher resale value over time due to higher quality in other markets drop dramatically here and I'd take a BMW,Mercedes or VW over any Jap brand.. But here though you pay really high prices for a new German brand (taxes not withstanding) they do not finance them for nearly as long nor do they hold their value due to lack of future financing and overall consumer ignorance of the brands..
It's correct, but nothing make sense in LOS anyway!

Why are the used or resale prices so high in Thailand, compared to the new price? It seems like the price doesn't come down much until a car is 10-13 years old with a lot of km's.
Not really true. New car prices, specially for imported cars are much higher too. For example a nice little new BMW or Camaro, cost 5 times the price as in western countries. If you buy a 2005 Honda Accord you gonna pay about 700'000 to 800'000 Baht overhere in LOS, but the same car in Europe would cost also about 15'000 Euro (close to 700'000 Baht), or if you buy a "Year 2000 Camry" it would cost about close to 300'000 Baht in Europe and about 370'000 Baht in LOS (I talk about good cars with MOT or TUV Registration, not about junk cars), so you see actually there is not much difference.

It's only the used Vios and City / Jazz "thrash cans" where are so expeisive overhere.

I am finding this discussion very interesting and informative, thank you all. I hope it also helps the original poster.

My Audi has been terrible as regards reliability, but I don't blame quality or anything like that, it's simply old. I am normally very easy going and expect any old car to give problems from time to time, normal. But this is the unluckiest car I have ever owned. So I wonder what to do in the future. I do like German cars, I think overall they are the best.

My problem is I find just about every Japanese car pig ugly, certainly everything made here, as if the factories are in a competition to see who can design the ugliest creation. I just looked up Niisan Tiida, no exception, horrible. On the same web page, I scrolled down to find Audi A5, beautiful, looks great.

Looks aren't everything I know, but I find it hard to buy something I find ugly, know what I mean?

Funny thing is, I have seen the Protons running about, and I think they look really nice. They have that nice clean look. Japanese are tasteless, all chrome bits and badges all over the boot lid, and headlamps that look like Marty Feldman's eyes.

The Honda Civic isn't bad actually, that's the only one I find even remotely attractive to look at. Maybe I go and try a test drive in one.

I do need to think what to do for the future, but I do know a nice Beemer will still be the most tempting.

Thanks to you all.

BMW in farang land is super dirt cheap. You cannot compare it in thailand. You have been enjoying all the low cost of owning a car in your courtry. You own 2 BMW 3 series, so can you afford 1 in Thailand. If not buy a used toyota vios. Different country different tax structure, cannot compare, I said Thailand cars are cheap, farang land cars are very super cheap. By the way, I am base in Singapore. Google it and compared.

Edited by babykyo

Have you ever seen a Cherry QQ made in china? It costs $40000 Singapore dollars ( 930,000 baht) a toyota vios J series auto $62000 singapore dollars (1.45m baht). And you can only drive it in Singapore for 10 years, and you had to scrape it after 10 years. Do you think it is crazy?

I believe cars, even small cars such as the City or Vios are safer overall then pickup trucks. If you look at the safety rating of the cars you'll see that when tested in Europe and the USA the receive high marks. Now in the Europe and the USA these cars have front / side airbags and stability control which are not as common in Thailand, but the underlying structure of the car remains the same. Pickup trucks such as D-MAX and Vigo are poorly rated. They also come with a much higher chance of being in a rollover or single car accident. I'm also almost certian that to get front airbags in a truck you'll have to spend more then to get them in a car.

There will be the additional costs, which you already seem to be familiar with. Plus you'll go nuts with a pickup in BKK. Stick with something that's easy to park.

As far as comments about the styling, plastics, or driving feel of the City/Jazz/Yaris/Vios, these cars are appliances. They will give years of good service and will hold their value reasonably well, and are very easy to sell. If you want a vast selection of cheap imported motors then Thailand just isn't the place for you. If you need to make a quick exit almost any dealer will offer to take a Honda or Toyota. Try selling them a 5+ year Proton and you'll have a different result.

Edited by proximity

Can anyone answer the OP's question with regard to finance?

Say if he wanted a Fortuna for 1m? How much would he have to put down? Is it better to put down a larger deposit? Do you get a better rate of interest? etc etc

And what is the rate of interest?

RAZZ

Can anyone answer the OP's question with regard to finance?

Say if he wanted a Fortuna for 1m? How much would he have to put down? Is it better to put down a larger deposit? Do you get a better rate of interest? etc etc

And what is the rate of interest?

RAZZ

The answers to these questions are very individual specific, and what may apply to one person will not apply to another (Thai spouse to co-sign, work permit, new or used car, etc.). Moreover, except for amusing ones self, one can get far better, up-to-date and more reliable/accurate information about car financing options by visiting a few dealers and asking them what is available and what will it cost. But be careful, the way interest rates are quoted on car loans in Thailand is not how most foreigners are accustomed to seeing them (the rate is quoted as a percentage of the purchase price and not on the outstanding balance as the loan is repaid), and they tend to understate the actual interest paid -- one might call it misleading. You need to see the total interest paid over the loan period and do the annual rate calculation yourself.

BMW in farang land is super dirt cheap. You cannot compare it in thailand. You have been enjoying all the low cost of owning a car in your courtry. You own 2 BMW 3 series, so can you afford 1 in Thailand. If not buy a used toyota vios. Different country different tax structure, cannot compare, I said Thailand cars are cheap, farang land cars are very super cheap. By the way, I am base in Singapore. Google it and compared.

I had both BMW's here, been here 15 years.

I had both BMW's here, been here 15 years.

Supercheap is always relatively. What is supercheap? There are many 1'000 Eruo Bemers for sale in Germany for example for "Export". But that kind of cars doesn't have TUV (MOT) regitration anymore, so they can't be driven or only driven a couple months and when it comes to a new TUV (MOT) registration you have to fix everything first to the goverment standarts, which cost huge money with all the expensive labour and part costs in Eruope. An don't forget in most Euro countries you can't replace a Exhoust muffler with a "Made in China" one, not even a head or taillight, as the TUV (MOT) registration office will check the original part number of a replaced muffler or part. You also can't take a catalyc converter out, if it's broke, (here you can do that, because noone cares), so replacyng a cat cost a fortune in Europe. You can see at www.autoscout.de A good used vehicle ,like a older Benz, Audi or VW, in really good condition still cost a couple thousend Euros. Even a nice 123 Body Benz 230 or 280 E from the early 80ties still cost about 4'500 Euro.

Yes i'm agree for the 'car and hobby mecanics" there are much better ways and choices to buy used cars in Eruope or US, they can buy very cheap as they can fix it by them self (like i do) to safe money. The wide choices in Europe or USA, its much better, because i can buy a nice Camaro for about 4'000 USD. But the ordinary used Japanese cars, like Toyota Honda aren't so much cheaper than overhere. In fact: Thailand isn't the country for a carenthusiast (like me).

Edited by stingray

Basically the two choices are the Honda City/Jazz or the Toyota Vios/Yaris. Everything else will have a negative such as poor resale, poor aftersales support, etc. Sure you won't stand out in either but you won't regret it either when it comes time to sell.

I would agree with this.

I have a 2 year old Toyota Vios sedan (1.5L I think) that I use when in Bangkok. My girlfriend had no credit history so she put down about 40% cash and I pay 9000 baht per month for 4 years on dealer finance. She uses the car the rest of the time and pays for all insurances and services etc.

I have driven it down to Koh Chang, to Hua Hin, as well as all around Bangkok city and I find it a comfortable car to drive on long distances and it is really great in the narrow sois. Overall I am very happy with it and would buy another when the time comes.

Good luck with the purchase

I got a 06 Honda City and I can only recommend it if you want a good modest car as you write in your start topic.

We just drove 500 km in it to my wife's village with 1 infant and 2 adults on board and it was very comfortable, cruising at 120-140 when conditions allowed.

I am actually looking forward to the drive back to Pattaya on Wednesday, :) and I mean the driving and not what I been missing when up here in the quiet country side. :D

You should off course buy the top model with all the whistles-ABS, double air bags and so on.

Good luck finding/buying the car for your needs :D

The Honda Acord is a fabulous car,and very nice to drive

"One" model up from the City, yes I would love to try one, will definitely consider buying one when the City will be sold in 3-4 years time and the family hopefully extended with another child. :)

The Honda Acord is a fabulous car,and very nice to drive

"One" model up from the City, yes I would love to try one, will definitely consider buying one when the City will be sold in 3-4 years time and the family hopefully extended with another child. :)

Two models up - the civic is between the city and accord. In terms of performance and value for money the civic 2.0 would be the one to go for, but the city would do fine for the OP's needs. A 98 city was my first car, then a 2004 2.0 civic. They are light and day, though the new city I think is a much better package than my old one.

In Thailand, at about B1.5 million, a Honda Accord cannot be described as a "modest" car (in the US, the average price paid for the most expensive Accord is $29,555 (B975,300) and it is ranked no. 5 in "midsized afforable cars" -- big, BIG difference). And the new Accord (my opinion) is really, really ugly. It looks like the front and rear have come from two different cars. I have read that the outer skin has been redesigned outside Thailand due to the very poor reaction to the car's new design (in fact the Chevrolet Malibu is advertised as "Better looking that the Honda Accord" (which it certainly is, but that is not enough reason to buy a Chevy, and certainly not in Thailand)). The new Camry on the other hand is a beautiful car (as is the new Teana). Accord's performance and reliability get rave reviews, and better performance than the Camry. So, it depends what you want and what price you are willing to pay -- I just couldn't pay B1.5 million for a car that looks as bad as the Accord does. The Civic's "wedge" shape is really dated and the design will be changed soon, although it is comfortable inside, and handles very well. The Toyota line have really gotten their act together in body style, and all three, the Vios, Altis and Camry, have exceptionally nice body styles, and I think will look good for a long time to come. That is not the case for the new City, which will look old and dated very quickly, maybe already does. When you think of the affordable options in the US and Europe it is hard to get excited about any of these, but they do provide good, reliable and comfortable transportation at a price that won't break the bank (depending on what model you choose). On big purchases, the bigger problem is the value of the Baht against the Dollar or Pound, which makes a car 20% more expensive that it would have been 3+ years ago -- pretty big hit. And it will likely only get worse over the next 12 months.

In Thailand, at about B1.5 million, a Honda Accord cannot be described as a "modest" car (in the US, the average price paid for the most expensive Accord is $29,555 (B975,300) and it is ranked no. 5 in "midsized afforable cars" -- big, BIG difference). And the new Accord (my opinion) is really, really ugly. It looks like the front and rear have come from two different cars. I have read that the outer skin has been redesigned outside Thailand due to the very poor reaction to the car's new design (in fact the Chevrolet Malibu is advertised as "Better looking that the Honda Accord" (which it certainly is, but that is not enough reason to buy a Chevy, and certainly not in Thailand)). The new Camry on the other hand is a beautiful car (as is the new Teana). Accord's performance and reliability get rave reviews, and better performance than the Camry. So, it depends what you want and what price you are willing to pay -- I just couldn't pay B1.5 million for a car that looks as bad as the Accord does. The Civic's "wedge" shape is really dated and the design will be changed soon, although it is comfortable inside, and handles very well. The Toyota line have really gotten their act together in body style, and all three, the Vios, Altis and Camry, have exceptionally nice body styles, and I think will look good for a long time to come. That is not the case for the new City, which will look old and dated very quickly, maybe already does. When you think of the affordable options in the US and Europe it is hard to get excited about any of these, but they do provide good, reliable and comfortable transportation at a price that won't break the bank (depending on what model you choose). On big purchases, the bigger problem is the value of the Baht against the Dollar or Pound, which makes a car 20% more expensive that it would have been 3+ years ago -- pretty big hit. And it will likely only get worse over the next 12 months.

agree Camry is better looking than Accord, but calling Camry NEW 4years after its release is strectching it. Took delivery on a 2,4 white pearl october 2006 months after realease in LOS.

My 2008 Accord 2,4 has more interior room, better brakes, much better handling, much better steering and is faster

By "new" I only meant the current model/body style. A new Camry will be out in 2012. If you are suggesting that it would be wise to wait to buy either one until both the Accord and Camry come out with new models, I agree. I think that the pearl white Camry is a spectacular looking car (my choice if I was buying a new car right now), but I also agree that there is more to a car than just looks (although looks/style is certainly a (big) part of it). It would make me sick to look at a new Accord in my driveway every day, although I might enjoy driving it. I wouldn't feel a whole lot better with a Civic in my driveway (but owning the Thailand "national" taxi doesn't excite me very much). So, if you want a car above the Vios/City level and can wait a few years, I think there will be some very much betyter options out there and you will be happy you did (unless the Dollar and Pound continue to fall and the cost of a Camry or Accord approximates an E class Benz (outside Thailand)).

Now I', more confused than ever :):D

It sounds silly - but a freind said the other day "don't forget, when in Thailand you're not wearing big bulky coats and jumpers, and so a small car is not as painful as it is back in farang land...... which is a good point..... how valid it is I dunno...... but anyway.....

I've been pondering this topic now for quite a while, and I think that value for money, safety and reliability, and resale value need to be my guiding principles. I am assuming that on that basis, an Automatic is a must? Both me & my mrs drive manuals here in farang land, so its not an issue for us...... but if it is likely to be a resale issue then we'll just go auto.

Honda City > smart looking car

Honda Jazz > is this more or less a hatchback City?

Toyota Vios > not as smart looking as City, and appears to be less value for money

Toyota Yaris > is this more or less a hatchback Vios?

Having never really taken much notice of small cars in when Thailand, I would appreciate peoples opinions on these? Particularly with a view to:

(1) Safety

(2) Value for money

(3) Retention of value (resale value)

Is there any "top gear" type website where I could look at reviews etc. for cars for sale in THailand?

Many thanks for everyones help!

Edited by corkman

Hi corkman,

I can understand you are confused, so was I when I were out shopping for a car (not new).

Regarding safety, if you buy one of the top models they will have double airbags which I think is a must.

In your last post you mention 4 cars, 2 Honda's and 2 Toyota's.

Well these car are made here which made they easy and cheap to fix if something breaks down, which is not very likely but you never know.

Among these 4 cars I would say it is down to taste which model you prefer.

If I was you I would go to a car rental and rent say a City for one week and thereafter rent a Viros for a week. There are topics here which car is the best and bla bla :)

The city and viros are basically the same cars from 2 different manufacturers, so if you drive each for a week or so you will probably know which you prefer.

Would you drive a Merc or BMW with a jap engine?

plenty about and more reliable and cheap to run. 1 JZ or 1 JZ turbo. think Merc 190 or Bimmer e34 5 series or 3 series E36.

nice feel without the hassles of high service costs.

Would you drive a Merc or BMW with a jap engine?

plenty about and more reliable and cheap to run. 1 JZ or 1 JZ turbo. think Merc 190 or Bimmer e34 5 series or 3 series E36.

nice feel without the hassles of high service costs.

If I knew where to look, I'd be the first there looking :)

Part of my problem is that I am moving over, lock stock and barrell, with the rs. and 3 yr old daughter too, and we are going to be living in the Suburbs, so we're gonna need a car pretty much straight away, and so I don't have a month or two to look around and ponder my choices.

A few people has warned me against buying anything second hand - again, I am realtively "wet around the ears" with regard to the car market, and I am told that the amount you save buying second hand isn't worth worrying about??? But I am open to it!

Thanks.

Hi corkman,

I can understand you are confused, so was I when I were out shopping for a car (not new).

Regarding safety, if you buy one of the top models they will have double airbags which I think is a must.

In your last post you mention 4 cars, 2 Honda's and 2 Toyota's.

Well these car are made here which made they easy and cheap to fix if something breaks down, which is not very likely but you never know.

Among these 4 cars I would say it is down to taste which model you prefer.

If I was you I would go to a car rental and rent say a City for one week and thereafter rent a Viros for a week. There are topics here which car is the best and bla bla :D

The city and viros are basically the same cars from 2 different manufacturers, so if you drive each for a week or so you will probably know which you prefer.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am probably going to have to rent a car for a week or two when we arrive anyway, until we get ourselves sorted - so I might do as you suggest and rent one or each to see can we live with it :)

When i came to Thailand the Baht was 25 against the dollar, so actually the currency isn't that bad at the moment.

Of your listed choices I would get the Jazz over any of the others and I've driven all of them, and I am not clueless nor "wet behind the ears" when it comes to cars by any means more like been around the block a few times.. How's that for a fitting analogy?? Anyhoo, the Jazz has an incredible cargo area and is also virtually standard with the "Tiptronic" type transmission making it far more resalable even if you have no preference to use it..

On the higher end models you listed you can get it with some of them but you're paying more and non of them give you the cargo space you'll have with the jazz and with a little one you will find that quite appealing over time, I know, as I have 2 of my own..

The Jazz is quite zippy little car and a lot of fun to drive, took one from Phuket to Bkk with 4 people and back once to move my friend and all of his personals out of his cage all on the same trip (long story). Anyway, it was flawless and that's just one example, I've driven them numerous times and actually requested them well before that point.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Of your listed choices I would get the Jazz over any of the others and I've driven all of them, and I am not clueless nor "wet behind the ears" when it comes to cars by any means more like been around the block a few times.. How's that for a fitting analogy?? Anyhoo, the Jazz has an incredible cargo area and is also virtually standard with the "Tiptronic" type transmission making it far more resalable even if you have no preference to use it..

On the higher end models you listed you can get it with some of them but you're paying more and non of them give you the cargo space you'll have with the jazz and with a little one you will find that quite appealing over time, I know, as I have 2 of my own..

The Jazz is quite zippy little car and a lot of fun to drive, took one from Phuket to Bkk with 4 people and back once to move my friend and all of his personals out of his cage all on the same trip (long story). Anyway, it was flawless and that's just one example, I've driven them numerous times and actually requested them well before that point.

Thanks for your reply. You're not the first person to give the Jazz an unqualified endoresment. You are right - cargo area is important when the sprogs are concerned, and we are used to much bigger cars back here in Farang land.

Funny actually - I mentioned to my wife that the city looked bigger and was cheaper than the Jazz - to which she replied "thats because the city and vios look like taxi's but the jazz and yaris just look like small environmentally friendly alternatives to gas guzzlers" ...... typical Thai mentality..... image is everything :D

Its looking like a Jazz so.

If I could pick up a Fortuner, used, from a reliable source for similar money it would be prefereable though :)

The Jazz build quality is dreadful. All of the late model Jap cars are soulless and depressing to drive....... if you are a motoring enthusiast to any degree........buy an old European car. We have a Honda crapmobile and a 20 year old Volvo, I will take the Volvo everywhere and anywhere and always enjoy the drive (mine has Toyota 1JZ 2500cc engine and LPG). Lots of old Mercedes around - you could get a really nice W124 300E for half the price of a Jazz - an absolute no brainer IMO. Unless you want a functional, bland, boring, ubiquitous transportation device.

Just lift and drop the bonnet of the Jazz. Feel the lack of quality and substance. That is what you are buying.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

The Jazz build quality is dreadful. All of the late model Jap cars are soulless and depressing to drive....... if you are a motoring enthusiast to any degree........buy an old European car. We have a Honda crapmobile and a 20 year old Volvo, I will take the Volvo everywhere and anywhere and always enjoy the drive (mine has Toyota 1JZ 2500cc engine and LPG). Lots of old Mercedes around - you could get a really nice W124 300E for half the price of a Jazz - an absolute no brainer IMO. Unless you want a functional, bland, boring, ubiquitous transportation device.

Just lift and drop the bonnet of the Jazz. Feel the lack of quality and substance. That is what you are buying.

Cheers

I would have no problem guying a used car, and would probably prefer to, but the over whelming majority of people I have asked have said that its a big mistake to a buy a second hand car in thailand.....

Made in LOS

Benz, A, C, E, S, SEL

BMW 3, 5, 7

Ford, several models including Fiesta starting March I believe

Toyota, Vios, Yaris, Altis Corolla, Camry, Fortuner, Vigo

Honda, City, Jazz, Civic, Accord

Nissan, Tiida, Teana, Navara

list goes on, more than one million units a year, more than 50% exported

How come they are so expensive? I thought if they were made here they avoided import duty. The 5 series is more than twice the UK price, if it made here shouldn't it be less than the UK?