Sprinkler System

jubby

I bought some small bore , probably about 6mm ; black pipe and sprinkler heads about a month ago. Armed with a tap in one hand and the pipe in the other, I've had several attempts to explain I need to connect it to a water supply at the Shop I bought it from with no Luck.

How the hel_l do you connect this stuff to the water supply, I realise its not Rocket Science but its got me stumped. :D

I guess I need a special adaptor or maybe a pump of some sort. :)

"I bought some small bore"

what is a "small bore", pray tell :)

I'm refering to small diameter pipe. maybe its the wrong terminology . I'm sure as a Kilingon you knew this anyway.

And I'm sure as a Klingon you have the answer to my question.

Hello jubby, if your talking about minisprinklers<?>,

with a 6mm/1/4" supply tube, you use 4mm punch.

If you are only doing a few, just the top 2 punches

in the picture work fine.

If you have a lot, the squeeze punches work great,

the #4 punch works with 16-20-25-32 mm LTPE.

No drills or hot nails needed.

Most places that sell mini-sprinklers sell some type of

punch, that's at least true in Korat.

rice555

post-37242-1267330524_thumb.jpg

Start with the bore hole/water supply pipe size. In line with this pipe install one or several glue joint 't's' (depending on area to irrigate, pipe/supply size, etc) the outlet on the 'T' can be the same size as your tap, (example 3 inch supply line to 1 inch outlet) small bore/irrigation pipe. It will probably be a slick/glue connection on the T and the tap, use a piece of pipe to connect same to tap, tap to hose with sprinklers and start the pump. Make sure a tap is open prior to starting water pump (if high volume/pressure)

No . Give a description of water supply line to be used (pipe size), then the number of lines, size and length,you will use for sprinkler heads, and the number of sprinkler heads on each line. T's are off the self items only need to be connected where needed/wanted.

Its the Mini sprinkler system. I was just going to try it out on a few plants shrubs and see how it goes. I've got the Brother-in-Law watering every two days, takes most part of a day. I'm just trying to cut the work load down so I can do it myself when the Lao Khao gets the better of him.

I've got a few normal sprinklers up and running but they are wasteful when the Plants , Shrubs are in a line. Also thought about drip feeding maybe.

Anyway, can't figure out how to connect the 6mm pipe to say a 25mm feed. I can bodge most things but this has got me stumped :)

Thought maybe there was some sort of stepdown adaptor or something.

Hello jubby, I mis-read your OP, you can run 16/20/25mm LDPE off you house water supply

or pump. There are glue on fittings(PVC) to adapt to poly or threaded PE fittings to adapt to LDPE tubing(both Male &Female), in both cases instaled after a shutoff valve.

The 6mm PE/PVC tubing is attached via a small fitting into the LDPE(supply line) and the mini sprinkler or dripper on the other end. Some people also use a filter to help keep the sprinkler/dripper from clogging.

Clear as mudd. I hope the 3 pix's will clear it up a bit. From the current SP catalog.

rice555

post-37242-1267390300_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1267390378_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1267390412_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hello jubby, I mis-read your OP, you can run 16/20/25mm LDPE off you house water supply

or pump. There are glue on fittings(PVC) to adapt to poly or threaded PE fittings to adapt to LDPE tubing(both Male &Female), in both cases instaled after a shutoff valve.

The 6mm PE/PVC tubing is attached via a small fitting into the LDPE(supply line) and the mini sprinkler or dripper on the other end. Some people also use a filter to help keep the sprinkler/dripper from clogging.

Clear as mudd. I hope the 3 pix's will clear it up a bit. From the current SP catalog.

rice555

Hello Friends,

I farming lemon plants in Northen Thailand (Uttaradit) Hilly slope area around 20 rai. Can anybody assist me to design plan for Drip Irrigation system for uneven slope hill area. Immediate response highly appreciated.

Sharief

Sorry guys, Ive just finished by test bed for growing peppers and veg...very newbie questions:

Many pics I see have the plants planted up on a ridge, with drainage either side.

I also see the irrigation pipes in the hollow of the ridges, - does the water seep out into the base of the ridge - getting to the roots, is that why they lay the pipe in the trough?

I just have one test bed, Im trying to decide if i should use the mini drip/sprinkler system or just a hose that delivers water into the trough along its length..

which is better - a pipe that feeds water on to the top of the ridge via a drip spike, or the water just soaking the trough...

Is the ridge system essential here in Thailand ( I have yet to observe the effects of rainy season on my new beds)

any advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by whiterussian

Hello whiterussian, I used drip tape the last 4 years and

am happy with the results. If used with plastic mulch,it's

hard to beat. Less than 1/4th the water used with other

types of irrigation, the plastic keeps the weeds down.

A good link to check out and some pictures to see.

With toms, eggs and peppers, mulch is a good idea to help

keep the weeds down, corn after the plants get large block

the sun out and weeds aren't that much of a problem then.

In the pictures, you will see that the weeds are mostly in

the wet area or close to it.

The ground doesn't all need to be wet, the plant needs the

water.

rice555

http://www.microirrigationforum.com/new/po...sion/sld001.htm

The info below is from: http://www.irrometer.com/default.htm

It is important to note where in the root system a crop actually takes its moisture. The top 1/4 of the root system extracts 40% of the total moisture, second 1/4 extracts 30%, third 1/4 extracts 20% and the bottom 1/4 extracts 10%. Thus 70% of the total moisture is extracted in the upper 1/2 of the root system. It is for this reason that it is imperative to monitor soil moisture in at least two depths in the root horizon. The typical monitoring location with a micro system utilizes a 12" and 24" instrument, with a 36" additional setting for the deeper rooted tree and vine crops. With shallow rooted (<15") veg crops, one instrument 1/2 way down the root system is fine. In automatic systems, the 12" and 24" are the automatic Model "RA", with the 36" often being the manually read Model "R". Where a rising water table is a problem, the use of a 4' or 5' Model "R" can be helpful in keeping track of the water table, or in verifying that a "leaching" type irrigation has driven any accumulated salts down below the active root system.

Pix #1 the water flow in different types of soil.

#2 rows 1-4 being watered after seeding, rows 5-8 planted 2 day earlier.

#3 corn at 6 days, seed weed growth in wet area only.

#4 corn18 days, beans 16 days.

#5 corn at 30 days, see weed growth only in wet area only.

#6 corn at 61 days, sunflower 60 days.

#7 eggs 2 years back.

I will start planting 6 rai like this in Nov., corn no mulch, mulch with anchos,

serranos, Nu Mex Joe E. Parkers and tomatillos.

post-37242-1274687474_thumb.png

post-37242-1274687561_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1274687725_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1274687796_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1274687845_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1274687957_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1274688107_thumb.jpg