Japanese Bashing In Bangkok?

mauiguy90

Although this may come to the delight of those posters who enjoy bashing Japanese people, friends of mine who work on Sukhumvit 22 reported that two Japanese teens were beaten up by several thai men including a guy who makes som tum in front of the Family Mart there. Appparently they had some disagreement, then the som tum guy started hitting one of the boys and a couple of his friends joined in, beating them with pieces of wood until a thai lady intervened. The boys ran away to their hotel, where they were later arrested for started the fight. They reportedly had to pay a 3000 baht fine to stay out of jail.

This happened earlier this week, closeby to several major hotels. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at a bar, or a sleazier part of Bangkok but am surprised that such an incident would happen in such a central area of Sukhumvit. Is Bangkok becoming dangerous, or has it always been this way? Whatever the case, I wouldn't advise buying som tum on Sukhumvit 22. You might get much more than you ordered...

Will you get real?

You don't even have the facts of the whole story and you advise if anyone buys somtum on Soi 22 they might get beat up?

Is the sky falling as well?

According to your own text the Japanese boys started the fight so they got what they deserved

Never get in a fight in public with a Thai or it will be 10 against one before you know it

That is the advice you should be handing out

Will you get real?

You don't even have the facts of the whole story and you advise if anyone buys somtum on Soi 22 they might get beat up?

Is the sky falling as well?

According to your own text the Japanese boys started the fight so they got what they deserved

Never get in a fight in public with a Thai or it will be 10 against one before you know it

That is the advice you should be handing out

Yep, you are exactly right Nio! Japanese certainly have no right to argue with anyone. They should sit in the corner, and take what they are given. If someone punches them, they should sit back and take their punishment.

The nerve of them for even considering fighting back! You certainly wouldn't fight back if punched, right? Besides all the Japanese do is raise the prices in Bangkok, or even Thailand, so they deserve what they get. They deserve to be beaten with sticks and arrested for being beat up. If they don't like it, they certainly should get out of Thailand, right? I'm sure that would make you quite happy!

I'm sure you know everything that happened, so I'm wrong and you are right! If you don't like Japanese, just say so and get it done with, bro'... I'm sure you have lots of company!!!

I'm sure you know everything that happened, so I'm wrong and you are right! If you don't like Japanese, just say so and get it done with, bro'... I'm sure you have lots of company!!!

But, with respect, you didn't witness it either, even in Western countries hearsay evidence isn't admissible in court.

So are you saying, or rather are your friends saying, that the som-tum guy started beating these guys up without provocation?

But, with respect, you didn't witness it either, even in Western countries hearsay evidence isn't admissible in court.

So are you saying, or rather are your friends saying, that the som-tum guy started beating these guys up without provocation?

My friends work directly across the street from the som tum stand. There was an argument, then the som tum vendor punched one of the youths. Then his friends jumped in and used sticks to beat up the kids.

My friends, who are thai women, said that the boys don't speak thai and were customers at the massage place they work at. They felt sorry for them but couldn't do much to help. Fortunately, someone interceded and the boys ran away.

My friends work directly across the street from the som tum stand. There was an argument, then the som tum vendor punched one of the youths. Then his friends jumped in and used sticks to beat up the kids.

My friends, who are thai women, said that the boys don't speak thai and were customers at the massage place they work at. They felt sorry for them but couldn't do much to help. Fortunately, someone interceded and the boys ran away.

Luckylew is right, beat downs happen anywhere and in this case and in your own words the Japanese guys were at fault.

Your own story is evidence these boys were the perpetrators

Read your own post

"The boys ran away to their hotel, where they were later arrested for started the fight. They reportedly had to pay a 3000 baht fine to stay out of jail"

Sounds to me like you have your facts mixed up

Luckylew is right, beat downs happen anywhere and in this case and in your own words the Japanese guys were at fault.

Read your own post

"The boys ran away to their hotel, where they were later arrested for started the fight. They reportedly had to pay a 3000 baht fine to stay out of jail"

Bridge over the River Kwai mate..!!! Payback time.....

Read your own post

Sounds like you don't understand, TIT! They were arrested for starting the fight, even though they didn't...

Sounds like a good tactic mate! Beat up on kids with clubs for something their grandparents did. Just line up with the rest of the Japanese bashers and racists! Let's have a tea party at the same time...

Sounds like a good tactic mate! Beat up on kids with clubs for something their grandparents did. Just line up with the rest of the Japanese bashers and racists! Let's have a tea party at the same time...

Maybe the Thai understood what the kids meant when they said Kutabare or baka?

Japanese tourists can be incredibly insensitive when they travel. It's a culture that still considers anyone not Japanese to be an inferior. The problem in Japan today is that students and now a 2nd generation of Japanese citizens are completely oblivious to Japan's history in the last century. It plays out in how they treat people. If you think the Thais are xenophobic, spend some time in Japan. If a a bunch of Japanese kids got into trouble with some Thais, it might very well have something to do with a lack of basic courtesy and respect for the "monkies" as some Japanese call the Thais.

Not surprising for that soi. British woman killed there by mugger a few months ago. Another westerner stabbed few weeks back. Who knows how many Thais are assaulted and never reported.

Heavy concentration of Japanese in the area so I would not automatically conclude they were targeted based on ethnicity.

Edited by Absingjul

That's right, i don't like them for what their grandparents did, and why don't you do your history and learn about what they did in Nanking. But, back on topic.....

Regards this incident, i'm not for one moment suggesting the vender was right to hit the lad, but what must he have said to make the vender react like that?

Not surprising for that soi. British woman killed there by mugger a few months ago. Another westerner stabbed few weeks back. Who knows how many Thais are assaulted and never reported.

Heavy concentration of Japanese in the area so I would not automatically conclude they were targeted based on ethnicity.

That soi is slowly turning into another soi 4.

The above post sums it up, nothing to do with being Japanese or any other nationality, this soi is now attracting a certain element who feel they can act with impunity.

Has anyone ever been detained in connection with the death of the old British woman at the hands of muggers.

Of course there is no racist element even Thais are targeted by these low lifes.

Are farangs still be stopped in the evening for shakedowns, drug searches and passport checks?

This soi is no hidden away gem know only by those in the know, in fact its best avoided.

NIO, you have absolutely no idea about Thailand in the slightest if you think Thais SAYING a foreigner started a fight and getting the police to arrest and extort money from them means they actually did start the fight. You really dont know?

I wouldn't imagine the som tum vendor going bananas for nothing.........however.....your probably right regarding visit to the hotel by the BIB........opportunistic

That's right, i don't like them for what their grandparents did, and why don't you do your history and learn about what they did in Nanking. But, back on topic.....

Regards this incident, i'm not for one moment suggesting the vender was right to hit the lad, but what must he have said to make the vender react like that?

Do you at least recognise how ignorant it is to judge a race based on what their ancestors did? The children are completely innocent of any acts their grandparents might have done. God forbid you had a murderer in your family tree somewhere, guess you would need to be judged accordingly too right? Not even a glimmer of common sense in your thought process.

Some of you asking why the vendor would go apeshit and insisting the Japanese did something to warrant an attack. You must not have been in Thailand very long. All it takes is to argue over the price of something when a Thai is trying to scam you. Very dangerous to argue. Foreigners have been beaten to death right on sukhumvit just for disagreeing with a bill. It takes a certain kind of person to do this so not suggesting all Thais are like this but Sukhumvit is attracting more and more of the bad kind.

Geriatrickid, I'll have to bow to your age and wisdom but having lived with Japanese in Thailand for several years and knowing a lot about their community I have never met an aggressive or rude Japanese person in Thailand. If anything they are overly nice and naive and highly susceptible to every scam out there. I hear a new horror stroy every week about the crap Japanese have to go through, they really are a target.

Japanese are GENERALLY nice and well-behaved- but for a very small minority there can be an unfortunate tendency once they are out of their own country to regard every situation as fair game for bad behaviour since those around them are not Japanese and they aren't under the rather intense scrutiny they would be in their own country. Of course that never happens with people of other nationalities... :)

Furthermore they are not always the best communicators in English or other foreign languages (though there are exceptions, of course).

It sounds like things ended on both sides without anything dire or permanent, so that's probably about as good as it gets when it comes to violent conflict.

Guess the only people that really know what happened are the kids and the vendor.

Are any of you members?

Good night for the police tho big plate of som tam some sticky rice and chicken and no doubt a few glasses of wiskey to wash it down.

Then 6 grand for their troubles.

What a job can I apply?

Actually I find the Japanese tourists the most polite, quiet and not racist at all.

I concur. I am not saying that they never act up, but I have never seen one be anything but polite.

Yes, the Japanese give the appearance of being polite, but when they are in their "collective" they can become as unruly and obnoxious as a common yob. The Japanese were quite polite when they beat up on my family during the Chinese occupation of China. If I recall the story told to me, they were very attentive to decorum as they strung up the Chinese from the lightposts in the neighborhood.

Some will say, why blame the young for this? Well the answer is simple: The young are not taught about their past nor the torture and massacre of the Chinese, the savage brutality shown towards the Commonwealth troops in Hong Kong or Singapore, nor the death march of Bataan, nor the concentration camps where Dutch, Australian and English people were sent to die a horrible death, nor the use of slave labour, particularly of POWS. When a nation is oblivious to its past and is taught that Japan is still superior to the outside "world", sensitivity is not a trait. I have been in meetings where very polite expressions are used to classify some people. Very polite, and yet inherently racist and shocking. Yes they can be polite when on public display, but that still does not change a society that considers people that have lived in Japan for over a century as foreigners and not in the same class as Japanese. TV is filled with stories of how racist Thais, Americans, and others are. I put it to you, that the youth of Japan are still raised to see everyone as beneath the perfection that is Japan. It is a nation quite capable of repeating its past errors simply because it does not allow for discussions of past behaviour and conduct. Don't be fooled by all the bowing and smiling. Mr. Tojo may be dead, but his spirit is still very much a part of the national mindset. Perhaps the first step would be an actual apology to the various groups that were brutalized. Not the usual expressions of "regret" but an apology to the Hong Kong veterans, or the Koreans, or to the Chinese.

There is one particular element of Japanese society that I *have* personally observed mildly misbehaving in public here- some of the lower-ranking yakuza types- but they are easy to spot and not-at-all like the Japanese-in-general. It's all relative, though- they've got nothing on the bad behaviour of many English-speaking types I've observed! Anyway it's highly unlikely- though not impossible- that the subjects of the OP (if they exist) were yakuza kids.