Height Of Water Tank

offset

I can stand it no longer. Everyone has given there opinion which is BUY A PUMP.

mainly because a pump does not collapse which might kill you or one of your loved ones. pumps are -unlike tank towers- not built with concrete using chicken wire as a reinforcement instead of steel.

There is nothing wrong with a tower as long as it is not your main water supply. If it is your main supply, the tower must be very high and will be expensive.

Our tower is only three meters high with a 500 liter tank. It is our emergency supply. We can flush the toilet and use the washing machine. Not enough pressure for a hot shower but a cold shower is possible.

Gary....I beg to differ, I have 2 panasonic 6kw on demand water heaters and they both work well. Admitidly the pressure is not blasting, but adequate and actually saves water/elect. It works, trust me or come over for a shower.

Naam, It's dark now...but if I remember tomorrow and if the sun comes up.....I'll take a foto.

Bottom line....gravity is free [after initial tower investment], quiet and maintenance free.

I VOTE FOR GRAVITY!!!

I have gravity, but its not free

The electric cost of pumping up to tank, is higher than pumping for pressure.

2,0-2,5 bar (20 meters above shower) gravity pressure is a large investment, much more than having a roof tank with a 7k baht Mitsubishipump providing 2,5 bar pressure.

In comparison thats 35 psi pressure provided by 70 feet hight.

As promised....the sun came up and i took foto for you Naam. Not much of a foto as the 2 inch frame is covered by shera siding in top and down below is a storage/work space. the bottom of tower is 3 mt and tapers to 2 mt at top. Yeah, the blue tank is ugly and lets in uv, so have algae [plants in garden don't mind].....wouldn't recomend blue poly tanks for that reason and will switch to the newer brown tank [for house], which is not only higher, but blocks uv and looks better.

All I can say is that it works for my water heaters and I have reserve of 3,000lt. extra cost of pumping another 6 mt can't amount to that much more.

Hopefully the foto uploaded ok.

post-7365-1267591286_thumb.jpg

I think a water tower is an excellent idea. They can be made to be quite attractive.

From an electrical point of view, the extra cost for electricity will be three fifths of five eighths of bugger all but the amount saved on maintenance may be quite noticeable, since the pump is not a "pressure" pump (it will be a centrifugal type). This centrifugal pump would most likely start & stop once a day, depending upon water usage & tank size & will most likely run for at least 15 to 30 minutes. This is how how motors like to be treated...not this "stop & start" scenario. This motor & pump will quite likely last a very long time with minimal maintenance (compared to "pressure" pumps).

You also get a constant water pressure disregrding who is using what appliance (if your pipe sizes are correct).

Just FYI: I've had a 1.5K liter tank at ground level fed by the local water supply along with a pressure pump/demand pump/whatever you call it for 7 years. Good pressure for 2 story house, on/off whenever needed, zero maintenance. I think the brand is Hitachi and about 5-6K baht at Macro and other places.

Cheers.

Just FYI: I've had a 1.5K liter tank at ground level fed by the local water supply along with a pressure pump/demand pump/whatever you call it for 7 years. Good pressure for 2 story house, on/off whenever needed, zero maintenance. I think the brand is Hitachi and about 5-6K baht at Macro and other places.

Cheers.

Op has the advantage of already having a tank 5 meters above shower to provide some pressure and flow when electricity fails. adding a demand pump set at 2,5-2,8 bar to this provides perfect flow and pressure for comfortable living.

Depends on what you want...but I definitely would not want a water tower on my property. Beautiful it is not....and a little scary to me...

We are installing something similar to Kamalabob2's setup. Never hear the pump (it is behind the house and in an enclosure), and it works great. Plenty of pressure. Luckily, where we live, we don't have extended periods of electric outages. A few hours is no big deal.

Yeah Naam, I will [when the $ gets stronger] get another one matching the brown tank.

Speaking of ugly blue poly tanks.......why is that color so popular here in the poly shops that sell coolers, tanks, boats?? I'm so tired of seeing that shade of blue......must have something to do with uv inhibitors>>

same same with the blue pvc pipes. Why don't they make them in grey or some other neutral color??

Yeah Naam, I will [when the $ gets stronger] get another one matching the brown tank.

Speaking of ugly blue poly tanks.......why is that color so popular here in the poly shops that sell coolers, tanks, boats?? I'm so tired of seeing that shade of blue......must have something to do with uv inhibitors>>

same same with the blue pvc pipes. Why don't they make them in grey or some other neutral color??

nothing to do with uv, some of these blue tanks has 0% uv protection

the pvc pipes are also made in yellow, but thats for electricity

love the blue roof tiles too :)

Gary....I beg to differ, I have 2 panasonic 6kw on demand water heaters and they both work well. Admitidly the pressure is not blasting, but adequate and actually saves water/elect. It works, trust me or come over for a shower.

Naam, It's dark now...but if I remember tomorrow and if the sun comes up.....I'll take a foto.

Most on demand heaters have a minimum pressure requirement. I do know for a fact that my three meter high tank does NOT have enough pressure to activate the pressure switch in my shower heater.

Yea the blue tanks are dogs with fleas they tend to come apart at the base & unload copious amounts of water everywhere when they cut loose . We had one in a rented house. A neighbor was going to turn me onto a 1500 liter blue tank & I took a pass & bought the sandstone type 2000 liter. I will be adding a 2nd 2000 liter for the next structure on the property & to hedge against drought conditions. The sandstone type are not only pleasing to the eye but last the time advertised. Still a pump is needed in any system. I will be buying a 3rd one for the garden only. No way around it. actually a cheap investment.

Most on demand heaters have a minimum pressure requirement. I do know for a fact that my three meter high tank does NOT have enough pressure to activate the pressure switch in my shower heater.

my first house here in 2003 had tanks at 3 meter above 2nd floor. when electicity was out, which it was more often back then, pressure was not sufficient to shower through heater on 2 nd floor. only 1st floor shower could be used.

when pump had electricity and puming 2,5-2,8 bar, everything was fine