Thaivisa And Phuket Gazette Poll: Do You Drink And Drive In Thailand?

george

Thaivisa and Phuket Gazette Poll: Do you drink and drive?

PHUKET: -- Road safety is always a hot topic in Phuket or elsewhere in Thailand, especially drunk driving.

The latest Phuket Gazette Poll, posted today, asks readers if they have ever operated a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol in Phuket or in Thailand and, if so, how often.

If you don't live in Phuket you can replace Phuket with anywhere in Thailand.

The Gazette assures complete confidentiality for all taking part in this and all other readers’ polls conducted by our company, so please be honest.

Let us know by clicking here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/poll

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-02-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I think you are being too cynical, I'm sure there are those that stick to their principals .. but to have never even got on a motorbike to go down the local shop after a couple of beers ?? Don't know.

Mind you, you have to factor in those that don't drink, they can safely enter a no vote.

totster :)

The ones voting "no" either are tourists who don't have a motor vehicle, or ex-pats living in Bangkok. :)

( Cleaning up the Phuket taxi mafia may work wonders here as well, when affordable public transport would be available. )

OR, they could responsible expats OR ones such as myself who have spent a good portion of their life moping up the death and destruction caused by idiots that drink and drive & the like. See what these eyes have seen & most wouldnt do it either.

To be fair, Im also a non drinker. To drink and drive & then be involved in a motor vehicle accident where someone is killed or injured is no different in my opinion than taking a gun and shooting that person.

To those who continue to drink and drive and that should know better should take a long hard look at yourselves.

I think you are being too cynical, I'm sure there are those that stick to their principals .. but to have never even got on a motorbike to go down the local shop after a couple of beers ?? Don't know.

Mind you, you have to factor in those that don't drink, they can safely enter a no vote.

You are most likely right...

I could have voted no as these days when Soutpeel goes out on the p*ss, Mrs Soutpeel always drives home, but believe the question was... have you ever done it ? therefore the answer is yes, but havent done it in many years....

Edited by Soutpeel

Assuming 'under the influence of alcohol' means 'after having anything to drink' then I have to vote 'many times'.

However, that does not mean I drive drunk, I drink and drive no more than I would in the UK where I would be (and have demonstrated to the satisfaction of the local plod) under the UK limit.

Assuming 'under the influence of alcohol' means 'after having anything to drink' then I have to vote 'many times'.

However, that does not mean I drive drunk, I drink and drive no more than I would in the UK where I would be (and have demonstrated to the satisfaction of the local plod) under the UK limit.

Despite the various Legal Limits around the world (IE: .08, .05, .02 etc), there has been considerable studies conducted on the subject and it has been proven that to some extent, after one alcoholic beverage that all persons are affected to some degree.

'Fine motor skills' are usually the first affected after consuming alcohol and are important skills (ie: hand/eye coordination) one relies on when driving a motor vehicle.

There is a high proportion of people that are arrested for driving whilst under the influence of alcohol that 'THOUGHT' at the time they drove that they were under the prescribed limit.

I have never had any kind of alcoholic drink and then either driven a car, or ridden a motorcycle.

Never have, never will. It's called being grown-up. In my opinion, anyone who drinks and drives should be banned from driving for life.

I have never had any kind of alcoholic drink and then either driven a car, or ridden a motorcycle.

Never have, never will. It's called being grown-up. In my opinion, anyone who drinks and drives should be banned from driving for life.

Well done for you !

Have a gold star and sit at the front of the class.

Never in Thailand as i dont drive and taxis are readily available and cheap but ive a DUI from 12yrs ago in England ... but drink drivers (expats) in LOS seem to drive after 12 hour drinking sessions when they struggle to walk as if it 2nd nature, ive never met a drinker in Thailand who took his/her car out that didnt drive it.

No, I haven't because I don't drink. When I did drink, everyday, I didn't have a car. If I had had a car, I would have driven it. I'd hope i wouldn't if I drank again but who knows.

When I was an alcoholic, it would have been dangerous for me to drink without having a drink.

However, even if ther are a few that say they have NOT driven drunk, they may have been and not known it.

My former job entailed the state education of corporations for the responsible consumption of alcohol. What many dont realize is that even if they 'feel' sober, they may not be. With the ever decreasing BAC (blood alcohol content) in many countries, you may not be "drunk" but you may not be "legal."

We all have the stereotypical drunken patron envisioned in our minds, stumbling and drueling, but the law has a different litmus test.

With the average 150 pound male (if that exists) which is the test weight for this, each drink is the equivalent to .25 towards the BAC limit. Three drinks and youre close to the limit. Four drinks and youre well over the limit in many countries. Most countries have as their limit around .08%. We're talking about MEASURED drinks, not generous free-pours from your local bartender.

The control drink parameters are measured as follows:

1.) One pint of beer (yes the alcohol differs in all beers)

2.) One measured shot of spirits (1.5 ounces)

3.) 5 ounce glass of wine

These are all around the same alcohol content, give or take.

Im not an expert on all countries. Your particular country may be higher or lower than the aforementioned. However, given the above approximate statistics to review...........

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE EVER DRIVEN DRUNK NOW?

With all my obloviating, I forgot to answer the poll.

I have regretfully and shamefully driven drunk before. Once upon a time, my former employ was a district sales manager for a well known brewer. As you can imagine, there was drinking involved. I quit my job (6 months without another job) to avoid that trap. Now that I'm older, it infuriates me to see someone drunk behind the wheel. Unfortunately, it also reminds me of the foolish behavior I once engaged in as a youth. some suggestions for the Thai Government:

1.) Designated DUI (driving under influence) check points ( They could also enforce helmet laws)

2.) Revenue, revenue, revenue! Tea money!

3.) Put that revenue towards the education of our youths about responsible alcohol consumption

However, even if ther are a few that say they have NOT driven drunk, they may have been and not known it.

My former job entailed the state education of corporations for the responsible consumption of alcohol. What many dont realize is that even if they 'feel' sober, they may not be. With the ever decreasing BAC (blood alcohol content) in many countries, you may not be "drunk" but you may not be "legal."

We all have the stereotypical drunken patron envisioned in our minds, stumbling and drueling, but the law has a different litmus test.

With the average 150 pound male (if that exists) which is the test weight for this, each drink is the equivalent to .25 towards the BAC limit. Three drinks and youre close to the limit. Four drinks and youre well over the limit in many countries. Most countries have as their limit around .08%. We're talking about MEASURED drinks, not generous free-pours from your local bartender.

Im not an expert on all countries. Your particular country may be higher or lower than the aforementioned. However, given the above approximate statistics to review...........

I wouldn't let my wife ride a bicycle after one glass of wine. Shouldn't tolerance be part of the equation. I passed my driving test after two pints of beer to settle my anxiety, so therefore I was ok????

I wouldn't let my wife ride a bicycle after one glass of wine. Shouldn't tolerance be part of the equation. I passed my driving test after two pints of beer to settle my anxiety, so therefore I was ok????

Yes, tolerance, which would have as it's controls, gender, weight, emotional mood, prescription drugs and overall physical fitness. Also, any food that was consumed.

The above controls should have been included:

1.) 150 lb male

2.) Average physical conditioning

3.) Near empty stomach

4.) Correction, the beer measurement was NOT a pint. It is a 12 ounce bottle of beer. Sorry. Draft beers will throw this experiment off a bit by a few ounces, if youre talking a pint. More if youre talking 20 ounces or more.

An individual with a higher fat content, all things being the same, will get drunk faster than a physically fit man with a higher muscle content. Fat does not metabolize alcohol like muscle. A fattier cut of steak (ribeye) will have less ability to absorb a marinade than a leaner cut (filet)

Off the topic, I prefer a ribeye, anyday!

No, I haven't because I don't drink. When I did drink, everyday, I didn't have a car. If I had had a car, I would have driven it. I'd hope i wouldn't if I drank again but who knows.

When I was an alcoholic, it would have been dangerous for me to drink without having a drink.

"When I was an alcoholic"? There are only two kinds of alcoholics, those that still drink and those that haven't gone back yet. There is no cure.

"When I was an alcoholic"? There are only two kinds of alcoholics, those that still drink and those that haven't gone back yet. There is no cure.

The 12 steps of AA, if worked properly, are a cure.

Keep coming back, it works if you work it.....words to live by.

Out of curiosity, how much would you have to drink to actually get addicted and become an alcoholic? The substance doesn't seem very addictive, other than socially.

On the topic of driving after drinking, there are a couple people I know with whom I'm actually more comfortable in a car after they had something to drink; Part of 'growing up' also means that you learn more about how your body responds to alcohol, and realize that instead of going crazy behind the wheel you actually need to seriously ADD to the amount of focus you put into driving, take it a bit slower, and take away ALL other distractions, so absolutely no music, cell phones and so on, and be aware of the risks off fatigue. And, obviously, realizing when you really have to just get a room down-town. Note that you have to do this anyway later at night even when not drinking, because most other people on the road will also not be entirely sober and may not follow these DWI best-practices.

It's politically correct to make this a black and white topic, but it really isn't.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It's politically correct to make this a black and white topic, but it really isn't.

I agree. And most here will agree that there is a quantum leap between having a little to drink and driving drunk.

A black and white discussion would dictate that you could NEVER drive with even a scintilla of alcohol in you.

If you don't understand what was just said you don't know the steps.

Out of curiosity, how much would you have to drink to actually get addicted and become an alcoholic? The substance doesn't seem very addictive, other than socially.

On the topic of driving after drinking, there are a couple people I know with whom I'm actually more comfortable in a car after they had something to drink; Part of 'growing up' also means that you learn more about how your body responds to alcohol, and realize that instead of going crazy behind the wheel you actually need to seriously ADD to the amount of focus you put into driving, take it a bit slower, and take away ALL other distractions, so absolutely no music, cell phones and so on, and be aware of the risks off fatigue. And, obviously, realizing when you really have to just get a room down-town. Note that you have to do this anyway later at night even when not drinking, because most other people on the road will also not be entirely sober and may not follow these DWI best-practices.

Some people have an addictive nature. The same people who can become addicted to alcohol can become addicted to almost anything shopping or gambling . I might be wrong, but I don't think alcohol is physically addictive like heroin is.

A couple you are more comfortable in a car with after they've had a drink? Because they argue less? :)

There is zero tolerance for drink driving where I come from. I'm sure the annual figure of 12000 or so dead on the roads would be reduced if the law was applied a little more rigorously here.

A number of years ago, I had accident while drunk. Thanks to a nice and understanding policeman, I wasn't charged. Thanks to an entire hospital staff, the admission form said 'no alcohol involved.' Thanks to whatever powers that be, I was the only one injured--slightly. Thanks to common sense, no alcohol has crossed these lips since, if I am driving--none, zero. Not a beer, not a swallow.

If I am going out with friends, the car goes home and I catch a taxi or motorbike to the pub. It's a hassle, but so much easier.

There are too many crazy drivers when they are sober to risk it in Thailand.