Buying A Home In Usa, Can It Be In Both Myself And My Wife's Name?

My husband is US Citizen. I am Thai citizen. I have a tourist visa. My husband and I want to buy a second home in the USA. Can the home title deed be placed in both of our names? What do I need to do in order for this to happen?

This is state of Florida.

Edited by TheJoker12

Yes, a home in the USA can be in both your and your husband's name. In fact, it can be in your name alone so long as you have the assets to buy it or a lender willing to provide you with a mortgage.

It is quite common for property to be jointly owned by both husband and wife in the US no matter what one's citizenship status is.

maam

1--in usa, a person can have one name, two names, three names or the names of the whole family members printed on the warranty deed.... this is an easy part, mind you.

2--if this is your own money, a reverse of most situations in thailand where farangs finance the purchase, may i suggest that you only have your own legal name printed on the sale/purchase order form and subsequently the warranty deed.... and if you so incline, you may list your loving good faithful husband as a beneficiary, in the even of the unforeseen--God forbid. REMEMBER, you want the tenancy listed as TENANT IN COMMON, rather than JOINT TENANCY--which means both of you have equal rights to dwell and/or sell your property.... WATCH OUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF well educated CROOKS in southern florida.... where a seeming legal and legitimate closing is not really legal nor legitimate.... if you are new to american way of life.... ask YOUR closing mortgage company for a REAL ESTATE LAWYER (not any lawyer).... the first visit and interview is usually free of charge--pls smile.... and mostly you are afforded only 30 min.... OK? so prepare your questions carefully before hand.... alright?

and if you and yours plan to purchase a multi mil home.... use two real estate attornies to cross reference.... MORE IMPORTANTLY, in good old u.s.a. REAL ESTATE BROKERS ARE NOT WORKING FOR YOUR SIDE, THEY ARE ACTING ON BEHALF OF SELLERS ONLY.... so do not ever use them to also represent you at closing.... even if the brokers are your close relatives--do not use them to represent your side of closing ever ever....

WHY? listing brokers or seller brokers are by u.s. laws, are there to protect, advance and represent sellers' interests only.... NOT BUYERS.... and you can not claim ignorance in u.s. court of law, if you are screwed a few thousands here and there during closing at a mortgage company during title transfer to your name.... there are practically hundreds of detail during closing that you need to know to protect you and your husband's financial interests....

does it sound confusing already? yes, it is truly confusing even for the average american home buyers.... LOL

3--if you two or three or more pool your resources together to purchase.... then you need to have everyone's name and each one's contribution figured out in percentage.... documented on the warranty deed where it says ownership....

4--in order not to bore other thaivisa readers with real estate transactional details, you can pm me if you like.... i have been buyers, sellers, agent, closer and banker--all rolled into one pitiful old fool.... LOL yes, we do still own real estate in the u.s.