The 1997 Baht/pound Sterling Exchange Rate

Can anybody recall, (preferably with references), what the best/worst pound sterling to thai baht exchange rate was at the high (or low) point of the financial crisis of 1997. Some say they recall 90 baht to the pound. Would appreciate some facts.

The highest for the baht agst pound was on the 23d Jan 1998, at 90.8. that was the recorded price at the end of day but it may have traded higher even than this during the day. In fact between the 11th and the 23d it traded at or close to 90 a number of times.

Edited by wordchild

Spiked at 101 for a very short while, perhaps hours.

No link, just what I'm told by someone who was here then.

The highest for the baht agst pound was on the 23d Jan 1998, at 90.8. that was the recorded price at the end of day but it may have traded higher even than this during the day. In fact between the 11th and the 23d it traded at or close to 90 a number of times.

101 to the GBP, Jeeze I thought I did well at 76 in 2002 I think it was. Thank heavens I moved it when I did, 50 or less now. Hold onto your hats. :)

101 to the GBP, Jeeze I thought I did well at 76 in 2002 I think it was. Thank heavens I moved it when I did, 50 or less now. Hold onto your hats. :)

I did it at 75.75. Pretty much all the big stuff, usual land/houses etc at that rate. I was stood on a 40,000 tonne stockpile of lead dust in the pouring rain at the time of the call to the broker.

So not too bovvered now, although could do without it.

Was in phuket at the time, when we arrived it was 64bt within 10 day's it had gone to the mid 90's All the exchange's were closing at 5/6 pm as they were running out of money. I sure at one time not for long, but at one of the exchange's we saw it at 98. It was still in the 90's when I came back up north. And has stayed high untill a couple of year's ago.