Fishing Competition, April On Koh Samui

bla bla bla bla bla

think it is near a temple where u pray to cod.

the key to winning is to be a master baiter. this way u inrease your chances to catch birds. sorry i mean fishes. don't know what i was thinking about :)

bla bla bla bla bla

the key to winning is to be a master baiter. this way u inrease your chances to catch birds. sorry i mean fishes. don't know what i was thinking about :)

I've been a master baiter for years. Save a fortune!!! :D

bla bla bla bla bla

I've been a master baiter for years. Save a fortune!!! :D

i am a lazy i need someone to bait me up all the time costs me a fortune. not bad a fishing though

Fishing Comp 9 - 11 th of April. Will fill you in more when I get back.

cheers. would like to try to win something. just hope there is enough fish left by the time. april comes

• 3 weeks later...
Fishing Comp 9 - 11 th of April. Will fill you in more when I get back.

cheers. would like to try to win something. just hope there is enough fish left by the time. april comes

Are you going Big C? Starts at Nathon, or you can just register there & go back to wherever your boat is. At the end on Sunday night, all the fish on display, they usually sell quiet a few & the presentation & dinner to all the crews. Great couple of days & presentation night.

If anyone has a fast boat, preferably flybridge, I have all the gear. Best way to win this comp is target King mackerl, sailfish, small marlin, cobia, and at night big eye trevally, queenfish, grouper. We need a fast boat to get to the blue water, then follow current lines trolling live baits. Also troll around the pinicles. If we find flotsom, floating bamboo etc, often can find Dorado. Basically need a fast boat to get to best spots and shoot around to find where the baitfish are. Night time anchor over pinicles or wrecks, couple of lines on top with live baits at night, fishing under lights.

Every year the catches are pitiful, but with the right boat and enough livebait, this could easily be won.

Go for quality not quantity. Don't bother with reef fishing, there are fish out there you just have to know where to find them and the methods to get them biting.

Some of the deep water wrecks can provide good jigging, a decent fish finder is cruicial.

If someone has a boat I will bring equipment and chip in for fuel.

If you can find whale sharks there are always cobia.........

I got some good spots, but they are far away, boat needs to be 40 foot plus and we head straight out to the blue water fast.

Most boats will go marine park and fish live squid,

I'd rather catch a few big fish than a boat load of tiddlers.

PM me if anyone interested and has fast boat with inboards.

If anyone has a fast boat, preferably flybridge, I have all the gear. Best way to win this comp is target King mackerl, sailfish, small marlin, cobia, and at night big eye trevally, queenfish, grouper. We need a fast boat to get to the blue water, then follow current lines trolling live baits. Also troll around the pinicles. If we find flotsom, floating bamboo etc, often can find Dorado. Basically need a fast boat to get to best spots and shoot around to find where the baitfish are. Night time anchor over pinicles or wrecks, couple of lines on top with live baits at night, fishing under lights.

Every year the catches are pitiful, but with the right boat and enough livebait, this could easily be won.

Go for quality not quantity. Don't bother with reef fishing, there are fish out there you just have to know where to find them and the methods to get them biting.

Some of the deep water wrecks can provide good jigging, a decent fish finder is cruicial.

I got some good spots, but they are far away, boat needs to be 40 foot plus and we head straight out to the blue water fast.

Hold that thought, let me check.

Hold that thought, let me check.

i know where some good spots are for jigging and there are long tong near by but long tong although are big. taste bad and are very boney.

i would like to catch a spanish macrel. the biggest i have gacught round here is a GT 7 kilo. hope to get something a bit bigger

forgive me for saying , but are you not a tad optomistic??

forgive me for saying , but are you not a tad optomistic??

Fishermen are eternal optormists..............

IF you are hanging around pinicles, you have a small chance of seeing one on a fast boat you can fly from pinicle to pinicle, plus with a flybridge and the ground you are covering you have a far higher chance of spotting whale sharks, current lines, floating debris and bait schools...........

Thats why i'm only really interested in doing it with a team that has,

A.) The right boat

B.) Patience (as many get board targeting specimen fish as action is often few and far between, but when you do catch it's normally worth catching)

c.) Prepared to chip in a substantial amount for fuel, you need a decent size boat to carry the fuel and have the range. Plus if it's a few days you want a bit of comfort.

If I go fishing a prefer to do properly or not at all.

I'm sorry but here on the big game ads they show barracuda as if they are a great catch. My opinion is they are a pest, taste like crap, stink out your bait box and put up a poor fight (unless on ultra light tackle).

BTW the GT that was caught was a big eye trevally, you don't get GT here, if you did i'd be out popper fishing every day!!! You do get them on andaman side tho....

For Spanish Mackeral there is a demon bait, that involves using 4 very small trebble hooks.

For Barracuda (if you really want them there is a lure that i've never seen used here, you can make yourself easy, and they go nuts for them, plus you can troll it faster than a dead bait, so cover more ground and catch more smelly tasteless fish) I'll tell you what it is after the comp.

For the live squid for night fishing you can't use a normal bait tank, but on a big enough boat you can use dustbin fitted with a bilge pump.

Without live baits, night fishing is crap, if we can get out to a wreck tho, jigging under lights could be pretty productive.

Again you must have a decent sounder, doesn't matter where you fish, if the boat anchored just 10m wrong, or wind/current changes, you won't know, you may think the fish have gone off the feed when really they are miles away as with all the anchor rope out, you could have swung round the arc and be miles away........

Is there any boat on the island, 40 foot with outriggers and flybridge?

I've never seen one, no point even having one here really as better to put in phuket, but if there is, would be great to use.

I've seen a couple of suitable boats in bophut, no outriggers tho, we could easily make some out of Bamboo tho.

Get a team together, split the charter and fuel cost, i've got underwater lights meants for swordfishing that could be used at night, also have a fairly decent sounder/sonar which could be easily fitted. Couple of other mods like bamboo outriggers and a few bins for live baits.

Normally I wouldn't bother, as i'd go somewhere I know the fishing is good, but hardly anyone has really fished here proper style in the blue water. I know there are sails and small black marlin here, i'd say we eigher come back with nothing and get laughed off the pier by the locals, or we'd clean up.

If it's around full moon or black moon, thats the best time and it might be worth a try.

Eigher way i'm up for it if anyone else is. Team of 4-6 would be ideal.

Fill the boat with bait and beer and we're away!!!!!

BTW, I know one spot that is a long way, but much fishier than the pinnicles, no one else will be there cos it's too far for them and if a storm blew up they'd be in serious trouble in one of those wooden boats. In a fast boat we can get there in 2-3 hrs, water is 80m, it's the only feature for miles, there are sharks there and big cobia. Plus big grouper, all sorts of stuff, defo a spot worth checking out.

If we have fast boat and get somewhere and fishing no good on 1st day, we can travel fast at night to the next target.

Still pretty sure most will go to Marine park and koh tao, but with a big fast boat and a full tank of fuel (maybe even a few barrels extra on board) we can hit the spots others can't...........

How will it be judged?

Last comp I was in here, the winner was the boat that caught the most of a list of 10 species of fish. Included were trevally, snapper, macks, bara, all the usual suspects. Even if you caught a grander marlin you would lose to a boat fishing at the marine park catching more varieties of 5 inch specimens on the list.

Womble you got me thinking about the bara lure. The standard clear thai hosing with some flouro green spray paint inside would look near identical but can't help but think that without the numbers of those fish here it just wouldn't work. In Gulf of Mexico our boat was surrounded by at least 10 great bazzas at every stop and they only hit the tube on the 1st or 2nd cast. Maybe a waste of a rod, or time out here?

Your 80 meter stop will have all the bigeyes you want but will that help win the tournament? Lots of nasty yellowtail baras too. I found it impossible to get a live squid to the bottom at night thanks to those pests hitting every time on the way down. Did manage to get almost spooled on a TLD25 with 30lb test in just a few seconds at dusk one time with a topwater bait.

Slightly OT but do you get any big tunas in the Samui area. A friend at Chumpon reckons he gets a few up to 20kg trolling around Koh Ngam. Never seen one here at Koh Tao. He thinks they like the shallower water at Chumpers?

Womble's idea is great, cost out of the question. Teams are always around 3 & you are allowed I think 2 crew.

Judging the comp, yes you do have to catch a variety of fish, but there is also prizes foe every class.

Last year, many boats failed to have a result, they grouped all these together & put them in a special draw & believe it or not they had some great prizes,reels, washing machines etc.......so they weren't left out. The presentation was great, good food & drink & a great show.

It's a good social event & great to have people from all walks of life participating in same sport & maybe getting to make new friends.

Get yourself a team,a boat & off you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting today. All winning catches ,on display Sunday evening at the Seatran old car park in Nathon.

Good luck to any participants from TV & don't forget the pics & the stories of the one that got away.

Looks like the Samui island game fishers are the boys to beat ? Anybody know where they are based ? I wouldn't mind going out one day with them if they do trips ?

I will have to have a look Sunday to see the end results. Do you know what time it is on ROO ? Cheers :)

Looks like the Samui island game fishers are the boys to beat ? Anybody know where they are based ? I wouldn't mind going out one day with them if they do trips ?

I will have to have a look Sunday to see the end results. Do you know what time it is on ROO ? Cheers :)

It was last night :D :D :D

dam_n. I thought it was Saturday today :) No fish supper for me then. :D Anybody know if they do trips ?

The Marlin are small, but I am impressed by the number, also the sailfish is one of the biggest I have see caught in this area. '

Mahi Mahi, Sailfish, Marlin, a big King Mackerel.......

Yup i'd like to go out with these guys, the only boat with a true catch of bluewater species as opposed to reef fish. Looks like most headed straight for marine park judging by the queenfish, I reckon those guys tried different tactics and it paid off.

Those Marlin would have been fun on ultra light..........

If they do charters let me know,

i'm there.........

• 10 months later...