Are Thai Women Married To Aussies Discriminated Against At The Aust Immigration.

I'm in a situation, I have to return to Australia for business and family reasons and I really don't want to leave my wife alone. My problem goes like like this, before we married 7 years ago my wife went to Aust on a 3 months visa, we returned to Thailand for about 4 months and she applied for a 6 months visa which was granted but she was told that she shouldn't apply for anymore tourist visas as she was married. The Thai officer at the Aust Immigration told her she had to apply for a spouse visa for any future trips to Aust. I accepted that but after a few years I realised my future was in Thailand and why should my wife apply for a spouse visa if neither of us want to live in Aust. Anyway a special occaison arose for my Aust family and my wife applied for a 3 months visa and was refused, on what grounds even Perry Mason would have trouble giving me a reason given the letter that was sent to my wife, if I didn't understand it of course my wife had no hope. All I want now is a 3 months visa for my wife so that we can be together and our family can reunite after 5 years. We are very financially sound, we live off superannuation, of course tax free and I still own my own home in Aust. May I add the my wife has never contravened one Aust Immigration law on her previous 2 trips to Aust, isn't that sufficient reference to suggest that she would be a worthy visa holder. May I add that a friend of mine with very limited cash and on the Aust age pension and also no assets and paying rent got a 3 months visa for his Thai GF, also recently a close friend of mines work mate got a 3 months visa for his ladyboy partner, obviously marriage means very little with the Aust Immigration in Bangkok. So the question arises should my wife apply for a 3 months visa again or forget about Australia until she obtains a spouse visa, I sent a phantom email to the Aust Immigration in KL and they stated that my wife can go to Australia as many times as she like, but must be accompanied by me because I am her Aust born husband of course subject to the normal supportive conditions. I'm not sure if she should apply again or not.

From the information you have given, I guess that your wife submitted the application herself at the Visa Office. Past experience with them left a sour taste in my mouth and forced me to threaten legal action in Thailand due to their inappropriate handling of my wife's passport. By the way I then had the matter settled, via phone, within 15 minutes.

It is time for YOU to do some work.

First make an appointment at the Embassy's Visa section to discuss a 12 month multi entry visa for your wife which can be based on family matters.

Next take EVERY piece of documentation you can with you. Marriage Certificate (Thai & English translations), current & expired passports, proof of reason for her return to Thailand (Company papers, employment, etc) and copies of any emails or letters supporting the situation in Australia.

At the appointment outline your situation and emphasis that as this is unexpected you have some planning to do which cannot be made on the spur of the moment. Stress the need for your wife to be able to travel unexpectedly during the next 6 to 12 months while you are reshuffling your lives.

Your wife can not be forced into becoming an Australian resident and the fact that you are married does not exclude her from having a Tourist Visa. The 12 month Multi Entry 90 day Visa will allow your wife to stay in Australia for up to 90 days at a time for as may visits as she likes during the 12 month validity of the visa.

This information was verified at the Visa Office at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok just prior to Christmas 2009 as I required the information for my wife's visa.

I am a Australian Citizen by birth with 2 daughters with Thai/Aust by decent and my wife is a Thai citizen. There has never been mention that I must register my wife for a resident visa during the last 8 years of travelling to Australia.

If you did decide to apply for a Resident Visa that can take a while and any travel during this process would need to be done on a Tourist Visa and the application can be lodged in Australia or overseas, with some changes to the application process.

The Australian Embassy has different officers responsible for Tourist and Residency Visa applications so you need to make the appointment with the Tourist Visa officer. These departmental senior officers are Australian citizens who you can request clarrify the options available to your wife.

How many more times are you going to ask this question Mason...???

gburns, as long as it takes me to get a satisfactory reason as to why my wifes visa application got refused 5 years ago. Everytime I make enquiries I keep on getting referred to the letter that was sent to her, I admit I'm no leagle eagle but I did have a tertiary education and the wording of the letter is well over my head and let's not forget it was sent to her. All I want is a straight answer, how can I rectify a problem if I don't know what the problem is in the first place.

gburns, as long as it takes me to get a satisfactory reason as to why my wifes visa application got refused 5 years ago. Everytime I make enquiries I keep on getting referred to the letter that was sent to her, I admit I'm no leagle eagle but I did have a tertiary education and the wording of the letter is well over my head and let's not forget it was sent to her. All I want is a straight answer, how can I rectify a problem if I don't know what the problem is in the first place.

Enough already!

At least 6 times you've raised this.

Nothing's changed.

In your eyes you're never gonna get a satisfactory reason.

You might've got a bad decision before. Either apply for

another visa or don't.

Move on <deleted>.

Regards

Will

Seems simple enough to me

You ahve answered your own question

They told you since you are married to her

now you must apply for a marriage/wife visa

You applied for another tourist visa and it was

rejected

If they tell you "apply for a wife visa"

and you apply for tourist visa ... of course it was rejected

Why were you surprised?

Enough already!

Nothing's changed.

another visa or don't.

Move on <deleted>.

Regards

Will

If my wife had've been given a reason for refusal in lay mans language instead of the legal clap trap that was sent I would've accepted that but until she's sent correspondence that we can all understand how can I rectify this problem. Let's not forget it was sent to a Thai person so how are they supposed to understand what's going on is beyond me and they wonder why tourists break immigration laws. How do I know if she reapplies that it won't be a repeat of last time.

Hi Mason,

When i first met my girlfriend we applied for a tourist Visa for her to come to Australia.

We got a 12 month multi entry tourist visa and that staff at the embassy could not have been more helpful.

Later we got married and applied for spouse Visa.

It was processed and granted and the embassy in Bangkok again were very helpful.

My wife has now been in Australia 2.5 years and have been granted her permenant residency.

Again only 1st class service from Immigration.

No problem here with discrimination.

Without knowing your exact circumstances, i would suggest that if you have been given advice to not apply for a tourist visa for your wife, then it may be prudent not to do so.

If you do need clarification on anything it may pay to call the embassy.

gburns, as long as it takes me to get a satisfactory reason as to why my wifes visa application got refused 5 years ago.

I don't think you will find your answer in Thaivisa - and more speculation won't help. As someone else has suggested, you need to make an appointment to meet with someone at the embassy.

In answer to your original question, no Thai women aren't discriminated against ... but you can be unlucky enough to strike a cranky staffer on a bad day, etc. Also be aware that the volume of applications these people are processing is very substantial, expecially at peak times. No point in fuming about it at home, review all the relevant material in the Immigration dept web site, gather all your papers, and go in and talk it over reasonably with them, and you may well achieve a good outcome. Good luck.

Enough already!

Nothing's changed.

another visa or don't.

Move on <deleted>.

Regards

Will

If my wife had've been given a reason for refusal in lay mans language instead of the legal clap trap that was sent I would've accepted that but until she's sent correspondence that we can all understand how can I rectify this problem. Let's not forget it was sent to a Thai person so how are they supposed to understand what's going on is beyond me and they wonder why tourists break immigration laws. How do I know if she reapplies that it won't be a repeat of last time.

IF my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle. You're not going to

get another answer from DIAC. You're not Thai so you interpret it.

You don't know it won't be a repeat of last time. Do you

want a guarantee before you apply?

Easy, take your chances and apply or forget about it.

Just stop bringing up the same old stuff. It's been done

to death. I don't know what you hope to achieve.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

rejected

Why were you surprised?

My wife doesn't want a spouse visa because at this stage we're both very happy living in Bangkok so why would she go through the spouse visa process when we have no intentions of residing in Australia. She applied for a tourist visa for a HOLIDAY also visit our family and friends is that such a big ask?

rejected

Why were you surprised?

My wife doesn't want a spouse visa because at this stage we're both very happy living in Bangkok so why would she go through the spouse visa process when we have no intentions of residing in Australia. She applied for a tourist visa for a HOLIDAY also visit our family and friends is that such a big ask?

Does not matter what you want!!!

If they tell you that you are married and must have

a wife visa, that is what you must have!!!

it is the same thing for Canada, my wife cannot get

tourist visa for Canada so we applied for a PRV

Why are you questioning the rules???

You will drive yourself mad??? rules are rules

they will not make an exception for one person.

It is like questioning a formula ... it is what it is

As long as a visa applicant meets the criteria for an Australian visa there is no discrimination. Australian has laws

against discrimination. All applicants are treated equally within their visa class and sub class.

An applicant may be deemed a high risk, eg, for overstay of a visitors visa, but that is not discrimination within the meaning of the Act.

As long as a visa applicant meets the criteria for an Australian visa there is no discrimination. Australian has laws

against discrimination. All applicants are treated equally within their visa class and sub class.

An applicant may be deemed a high risk, eg, for overstay of a visitors visa, but that is not discrimination within the meaning of the Act.

What we are talking about here is the apparent policy of the Ausatralian Immigration to only allow 2 visits by a thai wife on a vistor visa not the unlimited number a brietish person married to an australian will recieve. Nothing to do with flight risk.

Yes Australia definitely does discriminate against Thai wifes. Of a British spouse wants to come to Australia on a tourist visa there is no restriction. Diferent treatment equals discrimination.

Different does not equal discrimination.

All around the world there are "high risk"

countries.

Do you think someone from Iraq for example

should be able to get an electronic visa

online like a Brit? Please!

Regards

Will

I notice many thousands of people have joined TV in the past few months, many of these would find the subject both useful and interesting regardless of it having been posted before. Keep it up Mason as there are always evermore interesting replies out there.

Yes, all very well but can the OP accept that the Aussie Immigration rules state that as a Thai woman married to an Aussie, his wife MUST get a spouse visa? There's no telling when circumstances can change like (heaven forbid) some accident or illness that leaves the Aussie spouse somehow unable to return to Thailand as planned. His wife, if on a Tourist visa would probably not be granted any extra rights to stay longer whereas the Spouse visa may have such benefits.

Is the application for a Spouse visa so harrowing and time consuming?

Visa rules are written to encompass a WIDE range of options and events not just the OP's declared intent of never (for now) living as a married couple downundah. Bite the bullet, apply for a Spouse visa and be done with searching for some answer to 5 year old legalese mumbo jumbo that is probably quite easy to understand when you take off the blinkers.

Totally deceptive and disingenuous title to the post btw.

Edited by NanLaew

Before this degenerates, may I remind members to please stick to the topic, and not start throwing personal comments at each other.

I know nothing of Australian visa and immigration rules. I do know that every country has it's own requirements and that for each country it's easier for certain nationalities to meet those requirements than others. For example, when my wife and I went on a day visit across the border from Thailand into Myanmar she just had to show her Thai id card and pay a nominal fee; I had to leave my British passport with the border control and pay a much higher fee.

Is this discrimination? I suppose that in the strictest definition of the word, yes it is.

Is this illegal? Depends upon the laws of the country concerned.

Remember that discrimination is not necessarily wrong. When an employer chooses one job applicant over the others, that is discrimination; but it's not wrong. It is the reasons for the discrimination that makes it right or wrong.

Mason, in this and your other topics you have had the Australian rules and requirements explained to you. If you want your wife to visit Australia your only option is to follow those rules and meet those requirements.

By all means discuss the rights and wrongs of those rules and requirements on this forum; but remember that doing so ain't going to change anything!

Only the Australian government can change the rules; so if you really want change you should petition them. Unfortunately, though, I would hazard a guess that, like in the UK, the vast majority of Australians simply don't care about this issue, and so the likelihood of any change is very remote.

From the information you have given, I guess that your wife submitted the application herself at the Visa Office. Past experience with them left a sour taste in my mouth and forced me to threaten legal action in Thailand due to their inappropriate handling of my wife's passport. By the way I then had the matter settled, via phone, within 15 minutes.

It is time for YOU to do some work.

First make an appointment at the Embassy's Visa section to discuss a 12 month multi entry visa for your wife which can be based on family matters.

Next take EVERY piece of documentation you can with you. Marriage Certificate (Thai & English translations), current & expired passports, proof of reason for her return to Thailand (Company papers, employment, etc) and copies of any emails or letters supporting the situation in Australia.

At the appointment outline your situation and emphasis that as this is unexpected you have some planning to do which cannot be made on the spur of the moment. Stress the need for your wife to be able to travel unexpectedly during the next 6 to 12 months while you are reshuffling your lives.

Your wife can not be forced into becoming an Australian resident and the fact that you are married does not exclude her from having a Tourist Visa. The 12 month Multi Entry 90 day Visa will allow your wife to stay in Australia for up to 90 days at a time for as may visits as she likes during the 12 month validity of the visa.

This information was verified at the Visa Office at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok just prior to Christmas 2009 as I required the information for my wife's visa.

I am a Australian Citizen by birth with 2 daughters with Thai/Aust by decent and my wife is a Thai citizen. There has never been mention that I must register my wife for a resident visa during the last 8 years of travelling to Australia.

If you did decide to apply for a Resident Visa that can take a while and any travel during this process would need to be done on a Tourist Visa and the application can be lodged in Australia or overseas, with some changes to the application process.

The Australian Embassy has different officers responsible for Tourist and Residency Visa applications so you need to make the appointment with the Tourist Visa officer. These departmental senior officers are Australian citizens who you can request clarrify the options available to your wife.

Agreed, some of the Thai staff have, for some reason, an axe to grind...worry not, play dumb and go along with their silly game! If you're not satisfied with any response from the Embassy you can always get a hearing with the immigration tribunal in Oz. If you're not satisfied with that then tough S_hit sunshine I guessed you've lucked out? :)

Before this degenerates, may I remind members to please stick to the topic, and not start throwing personal comments at each other.

I know nothing of Australian visa and immigration rules. I do know that every country has it's own requirements and that for each country it's easier for certain nationalities to meet those requirements than others. For example, when my wife and I went on a day visit across the border from Thailand into Myanmar she just had to show her Thai id card and pay a nominal fee; I had to leave my British passport with the border control and pay a much higher fee.

Is this discrimination? I suppose that in the strictest definition of the word, yes it is.

Remember that discrimination is not necessarily wrong. When an employer chooses one job applicant over the others, that is discrimination; but it's not wrong. It is the reasons for the discrimination that makes it right or wrong.

Mason, in this and your other topics you have had the Australian rules and requirements explained to you. If you want your wife to visit Australia your only option is to follow those rules and meet those requirements

By all means discuss the rights and wrongs of those rules and requirements on this forum; but remember that doing so ain't going to change anything!

Only the Australian government can change the rules; so if you really want change you should petition them. Unfortunately, though, I would hazard a guess that, like in the UK, the vast majority of Australians simply don't care about this issue, and so the likelihood of any change is very remote.

I take your point 7by7 but if as you say the Aust Immigration rules and requirements are set down by the Aust Government then why does the Bangkok office have a different set of rules than the others. Ive checked with Aust Immigration in KL and SG and they both stated that foreigners married to Australians can come and go as they please as long as they pass the support and character criteria as set down by the Aust Government, not them as appears to be the case with the Bangkok office. I understand the laws but I dont understand the logic, if my wife intended to become an Aust resident then she wouldve applied for a spouse visa long ago but we're only seeking a visa for a holiday in Aust, wouldnt a spouse visa be an overkill if we only wanted to take a holiday for a short time in Aust every 2-3 years. By the way the KL and SG offices emailed their replies within a few hours on receiving them, I certainly wouldn't expect that prompt service from the Bangkok office if I even received a reply at all.

Mason, in this and your other topics you have had the Australian rules and requirements explained to you. If you want your wife to visit Australia your only option is to follow those rules and meet those requirements

I take your point 7by7 but if as you say the Aust Immigration rules and requirements are set down by the Aust Government then why does the Bangkok office have a different set of rules than the others. Ive checked with Aust Immigration in KL and SG and they both stated that foreigners married to Australians can come and go as they please as long as they pass the support and character criteria as set down by the Aust Government, not them as appears to be the case with the Bangkok office. I understand the laws but I dont understand the logic, if my wife intended to become an Aust resident then she wouldve applied for a spouse visa long ago but we're only seeking a visa for a holiday in Aust, wouldnt a spouse visa be an overkill if we only wanted to take a holiday for a short time in Aust every 2-3 years. By the way the KL and SG offices emailed their replies within a few hours on receiving them, I certainly wouldn't expect that prompt service from the Bangkok office if I even received a reply at all.

Why not contact the embassy and chat to them. or get some advise from and immigration lawyer or what ever they are in bkk and by this i mean an australian one is a must then you will know what you can do and be as sure as you can be when dealing with government.

Edited by Elwood62

Maybe Australia have had their Fill of Thai Ladies for now.

I take your point 7by7 but if as you say the Aust Immigration rules and requirements are set down by the Aust Government then why does the Bangkok office have a different set of rules than the others.

I don't know, as I've no experience with Australian visas.

I can think of three possible reasons, though.

1) The Bangkok visa section are applying the rules more strictly than other posts.

2) The Australian government have decided that applicants in Thailand should, for some reason, be treated differently to those in the other countries you mention.

3) You have somehow misunderstood the information given to you by the Bangkok embassy.

I can make no comment on which is the more likely as I am ignorant of the Australian system.

All I can suggest is that if you get no satisfactory reply from the Bangkok embassy then you contact the relevant government department in Australia for clarification, or seek the advice of an Australian visa agent in Thailand. If you do the latter then, as Elwood62 suggests, ensure that they are one who is registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority, such as the Australian sponsor of this forum.

So Mason,

Have you been informed that you have

to apply for a spouse visa and a tourist visa

will not be granted to your wife?

If you haven't, which I suspect, then just

go ahead and apply for a toursit visa.

Regards

Will

Hi Mason,

When i first met my girlfriend we applied for a tourist Visa for her to come to Australia.

We got a 12 month multi entry tourist visa and that staff at the embassy could not have been more helpful.

It was processed and granted and the embassy in Bangkok again were very helpful.

My wife has now been in Australia 2.5 years and have been granted her permenant residency.

Without knowing your exact circumstances, i would suggest that if you have been given advice to not apply for a tourist visa for your wife, then it may be prudent not to do so.

Everything aussietraveller said happened to me australian immigration could not have been more helpful we are about to apply for a tourist visa for her mother and again immigration have told me exactly what to do.

No complaints from this Dockers supporter :)

So Mason,

Have you been informed that you have

to apply for a spouse visa and a tourist visa

will not be granted to your wife?

If you haven't, which I suspect, then just

go ahead and apply for a toursit visa.

Regards

Will

Seriously Will are you a Thai who works for the Aust Immigration in Bangkok in as much you talk but you don't listen. I've stated numerous times that the last time (5 years ago) my wife was refused a tourist visa to Aust, she was told on her previous succesfull visa application that there would be no more tourist visas. I can come to terms with that ruling if she was abusing the system but let's get this straight we don't want to live in Australia but surely I can take my wife on a holiday every 2-3 years to my country of birth. It appears if we lived as defactos such as a Buddhist wedding or even nothing then this 2 tourist visas only wouldn't apply. Surely a married woman who's been in a strong relationship for 7 years has more rights than a bar lady who could have a husband under the Buddhist wedding set up. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I'm trying to bring logic to this discussion and I might add theres' a lot more Aussies in my situation that have the same views as I have, probably theyre sick of banging their heads against the wall looking for what really is a very commonsense issue.

Im actually with Mason on this one. It certainly sounds like he (and his wife) are getting the short end fo the stick. From what he has told us I can't see how his wife has not satisfied the 'geniuine visitor' criteria. Secondly, given the frequency of the previous applications, I can't see that any inference can be drawn that his wife is attempting de-facto residence through multiple tourist visa applications. Next application draft a submission to submit with the application. PM if you want some helpful tips.

Regards

Bridge

Hi Mason,

Everything aussietraveller said happened to me australian immigration could not have been more helpful we are about to apply for a tourist visa for her mother and again immigration have told me exactly what to do.

No complaints from this Dockers supporter :)

I agree on all bar the footy bit. Although I come from W.A., footy dont interest me but the rest I agree with. I have just got a second visa for my wife and no mention of spouse visa for next but if thats what it takes then so be it. I also do not have any complaints with the service. I also like to think they are just looking after my home country in these troubled times, and know a lot more about such matters than I do.

They may have good reasons for doing things this way but legal reasons why they cant be clear in stating it. Just my opinion.

Im actually with Mason on this one. It certainly sounds like he (and his wife) are getting the short end fo the stick. From what he has told us I can't see how his wife has not satisfied the 'geniuine visitor' criteria. Secondly, given the frequency of the previous applications, I can't see that any inference can be drawn that his wife is attempting de-facto residence through multiple tourist visa applications. Next application draft a submission to submit with the application. PM if you want some helpful tips.

Regards

Bridge

Bridge...Masons problem appears to be one of attitude.....he wont accept what he has been told, both by the Embassy and by members here on TV....There is a note on his partners file which states that a tourist visa is not be issued to her and that they have been informed to apply for a spouse visa. He needs to get this note removed or altered...this can only be done by going to the Embassy with the relevent documentation (eg; Proof of residence in Thailand etc...) and explaining his partners case. As far as I know and he has said nothing that shows different, Mason has not followed this course of action. And as far as I can work it out, his partner has not applied for any other visas after that last refusal which was quite some time ago now.