Flickr About To Be Censored?

TallForeigner

I am using "flickr" (www.flickr.com) to collect my photos and make them available to my friends and family and any other interested viewers. Since this morning the site doesn't open correctly, it takes ages to display anything and during that time Firefox indicates "waiting for w3.mict.go.th". Once the site appears it is seriously messed up.

Does anyone experience the same thing?

Does this mean that they are going to censor "flickr"?

Is it normal that mict is messing up internet service?

Is there a list available about services that are clocked by the mict?

What could be the reason for blocking? I don't have any form of nudity on my site, no politics, mostly pictures of landscape, city, animals and a concert.

Well, it's not completely blocked...they are just making it extremely slow and cause the pages to mess up completely. Seems to me they are just snooping around and while doing that they are messing things up.

Are they just picking people randomly and mess with their access to some sites? All other sites I am using except flickr are working fine.

That's getting really very unnerving...

Edited by TallForeigner

I think their servers are down sometimes. If not, then they might bann websites which could be used to propagate hate speeches about government, I guess.

I use a proxy and can connect to every site, without proxy many sites do not work.

Edited by sedeflonga

I think their servers are down sometimes. If not, then they might bann websites which could be used to propagate hate speeches about government, I guess.

I use a proxy and can connect to every site, without proxy many sites do not work.

Proxies are illegal in Thailand. However, that's apparently one of the illegal activities we can discuss here, along with use of non TT&T/TOT VOIP companies... :)

What could be the reason for blocking? I don't have any form of nudity on my site, no politics, mostly pictures of landscape, city, animals and a concert.

Well, it's not completely blocked...they are just making it extremely slow and cause the pages to mess up completely.

A couple of nights ago, I had the same problem while accessing YouTube, Twitter, CNN, and a host of other sites. Kept getting redirected to w3.mict.go.th. After a few hours, everything was back to normal. My guess is that it's probably a glitch or server overload of some kind.

Edited by Supernova

Proxies are illegal in Thailand. However, that's apparently one of the illegal activities we can discuss here, along with use of non TT&T/TOT VOIP companies... :)

proxies are illegal in Thailand? When I signed the contract of my ISP there were no mention of it. Please give source of your information.

Thanks

thanks for the headsup. I guess no problem for me using Proxy then =)

A quote from your link: The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Minister has said in an interview in the Bangkok Post that he has not blocked these methods because "using proxies to access illegal sites are illegal, whereas using proxies to access legal sites is legal."

I never saw any banned site, btw. Did anyone of you see one? If yes, how does it show up? The only thing I get as 'banned' is from FF when a phising or scam site is found...

EDIT: Just found this, a very interesting document which explains even how the ministry blocks websites but do it that way so that users think the website is 'just not there anymore'

That must be the reason why I never had any BLOCK SITE screen...

Read on at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Thailand

Edited by sedeflonga

I never saw any banned site, btw. Did anyone of you see one? If yes, how does it show up?

ictblock.jpg

:):D:D:D

Somehow that logo reminds me of One Big All-Seeing Eye (of Big Brother?) :D

It is, but don't worry. They are from the government and here to help;. :D

• 2 weeks later...