You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Last Minute Trip Recommendations

fm2002

Hey Guys & Gals

Need to get out of Thailand no later than Monday and was thinking of doing some diving. Hoping you guys might have some recommendations. Here is the criteria;

1) Relative ease to get there (SE Asia)

2) Land based

3) good snorkeling during off diving times (for girlfriend just starting out)

Would like someplace new to me so this would have to be off the beaten path as I've been to most of the obvious places. One place I remembering reading about that might fit this criteria was Weh ???

Thanks

Pulau Weh is a decent option, though it takes some work to get there. First you have to get to Banda Aceh, usually by air, but also possible overland from Medan, and then you take a ferry over to Weh. Part of the problem with the logistics is that Banda Aceh doesn't have an immigration service that can issue visas, so you either have to arrive at Medan, get your visa on arrival there, and then get to Banda Aceh to catch the ferry or you have to get your visa ahead of time in Bangkok at the Indon consulate there (takes 2.5 days) and present it at Banda Aceh when you land. I believe you can also get a visa (maybe even with a shorter wait time) at the Indon consulate at Penang, Malaysia, where you can hop on a plane to Banda Aceh.

An easier option would probably be Bali, though it's not exactly off the beaten path, it's also not high season there right now, so it won't be as crowded. They dive year round.

Pulau Weh is a decent option, though it takes some work to get there. First you have to get to Banda Aceh, usually by air, but also possible overland from Medan, and then you take a ferry over to Weh. Part of the problem with the logistics is that Banda Aceh doesn't have an immigration service that can issue visas, so you either have to arrive at Medan, get your visa on arrival there, and then get to Banda Aceh to catch the ferry or you have to get your visa ahead of time in Bangkok at the Indon consulate there (takes 2.5 days) and present it at Banda Aceh when you land. I believe you can also get a visa (maybe even with a shorter wait time) at the Indon consulate at Penang, Malaysia, where you can hop on a plane to Banda Aceh.

An easier option would probably be Bali, though it's not exactly off the beaten path, it's also not high season there right now, so it won't be as crowded. They dive year round.

Thanks for your info. SInce I won't have time to get a Visa before I depart BKK. Could I fly to say KL and than fly to Medan where I could get my Visa on arrival ? Also how does one get from Medan to Banda Aceh ?

Edited by fm2002