Driving To Vietnam

bellagrego

Hi, Guys. I have put the paperwork together to travel into laos in my own truck. Thai registered, in my name, and paid for. Blue and Purple books in hand

I plan to go to Vientenne soon and get a Nam visa there for mutiple entry. Next, overland, drive to the border and cross at the dmz highway 9, make a loop and return via Mukdahan. HAS ANYONE DONE IT ? I will inquire at the Nam embassy but would like any input you might give on the subject. I have travelld extensively in Nam, north to south via bus and know the road conditions and the flip side driving. For anyone around Sakhon Nahkon or Esaan, would you be interested in making the run if my Thai gal stays home ?

You will need a driving license for Viet Nam BEFORE you arrive at the border and they are only possible to obtain once INSIDE the country.

Although someone recently told me he knows someone who did it on motorbike without getting the license first and I'm waiting for details.

:) Last month while get the new 5 year valid driver-licenses for car and motorcycle the officer of Land and Transport told me, the Thai driver license are valid in ALL ASEAN countries and also no need any international fm Europe.

I am impatient to find out if this "ALL" is valid in the stricte Vietnam too. Would be great avoid the proceeder there. If somebody can confirm by experience been in Vietnam, thank you

Edited by challenger99

When i was in Phnom Penh i met some harley riders from Pattaya thAT were on their way to Saigon, ( this was LAST YEAR) Plus they had a pick up truck for support. Seems they applied and had a travel agent in Saigon assist them and it took a while to get approval.

The new license says it is good for Vietnam as well, IN cambodia they didn't care at all if u had a license or not.

When i was in Phnom Penh i met some harley riders from Pattaya thAT were on their way to Saigon, ( this was LAST YEAR) Plus they had a pick up truck for support. Seems they applied and had a travel agent in Saigon assist them and it took a while to get approval.

The new license says it is good for Vietnam as well, IN cambodia they didn't care at all if u had a license or not.

:) thanks for confirmation; I guess you say "car"-driver license is okay too for Vietnam. Yes Cambodia is great, even you have no photo for visa on arrival for 1 US-$ they accept photocopy (they do themselfs) of your picture in passport ......!

Where does it say that?

Where does it say that?

I checked a new Thai driving license last night and it doesn't say anywhere that it is valid for other countries.

So I doubt it would be legal for driving in Viet Nam.