Air Asia 1 Carry On Only ?

niteswim

Hi there

Does anyone know if Air Asia has changed their carry on luggage rules - they used to allow a laptop bag in addition to your carry on luggage, but I hear they are now really enforcing a new rule of strictly 1 bag only.

Thanks all !!

At KLCC AA does monitor what you carry on. Sometimes.

When you approach the boarding area you'll see some scales (and one of those "your carry-on must fit in here" things). Sometimes there is a guard there to bust your balls about it. I'm not sure what they do if your carry-on is too big/heavy, you have too many bags, etc. They expect you to throw the excess away?

Never saw any carry-on enforcement by AA elsewhere.

The only places where I've been busted for too much carry-on were Lima, Peru and Brisbane. In the former they insisted my carry-on be checked: I was only in transit, changing planes there. Others have told me Lima was the only place where they bug you about this. In Brisbane the guard made me put my bag on a dinky scale before I entered security check, said it was too heavy. I went to check the bag (Virgin Blue), told the clerk what happened, and he gave a 'those <deleted>!' expression and took the bag with no extra charge.

Had no problem carrying a largish notebook bag (with a lot of other stuff inside) plus a maximum but regulation size cabin wheely 2 weeks ago (BKK to Ubon Ratchatani).

I would have a problem if I had to stuff one inside the other - then that would go over the 7kg carry on bag limit, then I would have to put it in the hold, then my bag in the hold would become over 15kg, then I would have to pay another couple of hundred baht. Then AA would be happy.

Then next time and thereafter I would travel with another carrier. Then AA would be less happy.

I hope it does not become their policy. I have been a strong supporter, but I know in my heart of hearts, just like when you get a bird that is out of your league (or an extremely attractive Thai 25 year old) they are going to screw up the relationship one day soon!

When i flew Bali to KL in Feb...they were announcing that STARTING March...all carry-ons must meet the guidelines...not sure if it was announced from KL > Penang leg too coz i connected onto that flight the same day:

....very simply....1 bag @ 7kgs!!

But i flew from KL > BKK on Feb 28th & there was no announcement??

So perhaps it was only for flights coming out of Bali?? Anyone can confirm this??

In general, i've been told by AA staff that we can carry-on 1 bag "that fits in the carry-on cage thing"....PLUS one laptop bag....for ladies, one extra handbag type bag...so in total carry-on = 2 bags.

The ONLY other place where AA has checked my carry-on weight was flying London > KL....but not in reverse???

Edited by wrazoru

This is what AirAsia Thailand indicate in their conditions of travel:

Unchecked Baggage: Passengers (except infants) are allowed the following baggage: Only one (1) item of baggage is allowed to be carried on board provided that it does not exceed the dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm and provided that it does not weigh more than 7kg. Such baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin. Items determined by us to be of excessive weight or size or of an offensive nature will not be permitted on board.

If your experience is different all this means is that the AirAsia staff have either turned a blind eye, don't want confrontation or are not aware of their companies rules.

I'd also say that the aircraft loading has a factor to play.

If the plane is fully booked then unscheduled weight can affect aircraft safety & fuel economy.

If on the other hand the aircraft is only half full then a few items of extra baggage isn't critical to flight & can facilitate customer service.

Unfortunately it sets a precedent for future confrontation.