Food Not To Be Missed In Bangkok

aikawa

As the topic had mentioned. What other good food not to be missed during my trip in Bangkok? After some researched i came up with a list. Any other things to add on?

1)Lek Seafood

2)T&K Seafood

3)Road Side Stall

4)Tacos & Salsa

5)Sabai Jai

6)Somboon Seafood

Am i missing out any good places to go to? Or any of you had any bad experiences at the places i mentioned above? I will be spending a whole week in bangkok.

Every night, there is a large sidewalk restaurant to the right of CENTRAL WORLD, (as you face it) Chit Lom.

They serve some of the best grilled fish and chicken, along with many other authentic Issan dishes.

Very inexpensive. Two of us dined there last night: grilled fish, spicy pork, grilled chicken, both sticky and steamed rice and water: under 300 baht.

Do you mean the stretch of road side seafood stall beside Central World where there is alot of people eating every night? I walked past there afew time during my previous trip. It seems like the stall nearest to Central World is always the most packed one. Is that the one you are refering to?

Every night, there is a large sidewalk restaurant to the right of CENTRAL WORLD, (as you face it) Chit Lom.

They serve some of the best grilled fish and chicken, along with many other authentic Issan dishes.

Very inexpensive. Two of us dined there last night: grilled fish, spicy pork, grilled chicken, both sticky and steamed rice and water: under 300 baht.

Do you mean the stretch of road side seafood stall beside Central World where there is alot of people eating every night? I walked past there afew time during my previous trip. It seems like the stall nearest to Central World is always the most packed one. Is that the one you are refering to?

Yes, that's the place.

Yes, that's the place.

I see. I always wanted to try that stall. It seems busy all the time. What are the dishes that you recommend? I see most of the people eating their grilled fish. Any others?

try out any of the (moo ka tah) b.b.q restaurants. extremely popular with thai all over the country. all you can eat for around 89-109baht a head.

theres also a great little roadside place called singapore, on the corner of petchaburi and the road the world trade centre is on. forget the name, but its in the phattunam are. good value for two people, ordering 5-6 dishes at around the 400baht mark.

moo-pan is a must try dish, thinly sliced peices of pork b.b.qed. along with the duck served with thai parsley, pickled ginger and dipping sauce.

HHmm. I would give it a try, thanks for the tip =D.

try out any of the (moo ka tah) b.b.q restaurants. extremely popular with thai all over the country. all you can eat for around 89-109baht a head.

theres also a great little roadside place called singapore, on the corner of petchaburi and the road the world trade centre is on. forget the name, but its in the phattunam are. good value for two people, ordering 5-6 dishes at around the 400baht mark.

moo-pan is a must try dish, thinly sliced peices of pork b.b.qed. along with the duck served with thai parsley, pickled ginger and dipping sauce.

Just went to Sabai Jai with my GF the other night. Great food and very good prices--seafood is very reasonable there, unlike most other places. Ordered a large seabass with 3 flavours (Blaa Saam Rot), plate of pork ribs, yam wun sen, som tum and rice for 400 baht. Good music located in the back as well--good place to hang out and have a couple beers if there is a decent breeze.

The Family Moo Gatah restaurant next to the MRT station at Petchaburi is very good and conveniently located. My thai friends all recommend it. Of course, there are many others...

I've also heard that the restaurant that serves flaming "gai yaang", then catapults them in the air and has the wait help catch and serve them is still open and located close to BITEC in Bangna. Haven't been there as yet but sounds fun!

Is it a river cruise? My gal have motion sickness, i dont think we can go for this.
You must try Bang Klam Nam. located Soi 14 Rama 3. Similar to Somboon but butter and it is on the river.

Enjoy!!

Not unless it snaps off and floats down river.

Switch #4 from Tacos and Salsa to Los Cabos Suk 14.

Los Cabos the best Mexican I have had in Thailand, Tacos and Salsa the worst indegestion I've ever had in Thailand.

I will give Los Cabos a visit then. Read e length review on it. =D Thanks.

Sabai Jai would be the one located near Ekkamai? The one that serve very good chicken?

Just went to Sabai Jai with my GF the other night. Great food and very good prices--seafood is very reasonable there, unlike most other places. Ordered a large seabass with 3 flavours (Blaa Saam Rot), plate of pork ribs, yam wun sen, som tum and rice for 400 baht. Good music located in the back as well--good place to hang out and have a couple beers if there is a decent breeze.

The Family Moo Gatah restaurant next to the MRT station at Petchaburi is very good and conveniently located. My thai friends all recommend it. Of course, there are many others...

I've also heard that the restaurant that serves flaming "gai yaang", then catapults them in the air and has the wait help catch and serve them is still open and located close to BITEC in Bangna. Haven't been there as yet but sounds fun!

I have to second the mention of Los Cabos on Suk soi 14.

You can walk to it easily from the Asok skytrain station. Just cross over to the even-numbered side of Sukhumvit (same side as Emporium), walk down from the platform, and walk in the direction of Nana station perhaps 20 meters to the small soi on the left. You will see a small sign for the restaurant.

There is also an open-air Thai cafe on the right as you walk in, it is open all of the time, and seems to be pretty popular.

Los Cabos is in the former residence of the French Ambassador, a large house with a great open-air balcony on the second floor. The air-con is decent on the first floor.

The proprietor was one of the founders of Great American Rib.

The Mexican cuisine is undoubtedly the best to be had in Bangkok. Better than Coyote. The guacamole is outstanding, very fine refried beans, and the recipes are sparing on the cheese, unless you ask the kitchen to go heavier. Good tortillas. I have not tried to just order tortillas with butter, but it is on my list. The enchiladas are competent. My wife is a connoisseur of nachos, and she gave them a thumbs up. They leave Larry's Dive in the dust, not to mention Bourbon Street, Charley Brown's, Patty's, et al.

I have been patronizing this place for the past two or three months, even during their so-called "soft opening," while the proprietor "worked out the kinks" with his wait staff and kitchen personnel. He has a nice crew working for him. You may need a little assistance with translation in the event that you ask for something non-standard, but the owner is on the premises, and he is proactive.

I gain nothing by posting this review. I am just a pleased customer, and very relieved that I can now eat Mexican in Bangkok without regretting it.

Yes, that's the place.

I see. I always wanted to try that stall. It seems busy all the time. What are the dishes that you recommend? I see most of the people eating their grilled fish. Any others?

Never had a miss there. I always have the grilled fish and Larb Moo and a variety of side dishes depending on the number of people I'm eating with. It's casual informality makes it a great place to meet other people; Thai and tourist alike.

Another great place I like and just went to today is the the weekends only DELAT NAM TALLING CHAN In Bangkok Noi, on the other side of the river.

While not the classic floating market, it consists of a dead-end street full of food and flower vendors leading down to a klong pier to which are tied up several old rice barges converted to seating areas. (Mostly floor seating but chair/tables are set up on the far right end.) A terrific variety of food items (Crab, fish, shrimp, satays, gai yaang..on & on..) are cooked by vendors on sampans alongside. You can order from a photo menu or get your table number and just walk around pointing. Food is paid for as it is delivered and is very reasonably priced. Most of the patrons are Thai although many longtails filled with tourists do stop as well.

It is about a B180 cab ride from central Bangkok. You can also take the #79 Air con bus from MBK (far side) directly there-B18. You can also take the #40 a/c bus from along Sukhumvit/Rama 1 to the Makro store in Bangkok Noi, then a b40 cab ride or song tauow from there.

Sabai Jai would be the one located near Ekkamai? The one that serve very good chicken?

Yes, Sabai Jai is located in Ekkamai, just past Big C but on the opposite side of the road. Personally, I don't really enjoy their "gai yaang" but like most of the thai food served there.

If you like "gai yaang" or roast chicken, go for lunch at the Som Tum Restaurant (sold out by 12:30 pm or earlier) at Sukhumvit 14, located next to the Asoke BTS station. It is also located closeby to Los Cabos, which is mentioned on this thread(Tuesday is Tacos Night-25 baht apiece). The roast chicken there is the best I've had in Bangkok and it sells out quickly every day. There is always a big crowd of thai patrons there everyday, which means the food is good and cheap. It can be hot and humid there, but the chicken is always great.

If you are looking for a hang out place, there is also a place called Suda, which is also located in Suk 14(small soi but 3 notable eating places). Suda is basically an open air place, which essentially has food for foreigners, as you can see by the clientele. Its a very nice place to hang out but before going there, you should know that it has notoriously slow service (when busy, can easily wait 30 minutes for food). However, it is still a great place to drink beer with friends, with reasonable food and beer prices. (Look for the chubby waitress-she gives the best service!) You might also want to check your tab carefully, as the mama san sometimes counts funny...

Hhmm, thanks for that spot. I would give it a try.

Yes, Sabai Jai is located in Ekkamai, just past Big C but on the opposite side of the road. Personally, I don't really enjoy their "gai yaang" but like most of the thai food served there.

If you like "gai yaang" or roast chicken, go for lunch at the Som Tum Restaurant (sold out by 12:30 pm or earlier) at Sukhumvit 14, located next to the Asoke BTS station. It is also located closeby to Los Cabos, which is mentioned on this thread(Tuesday is Tacos Night-25 baht apiece). The roast chicken there is the best I've had in Bangkok and it sells out quickly every day. There is always a big crowd of thai patrons there everyday, which means the food is good and cheap. It can be hot and humid there, but the chicken is always great.

If you are looking for a hang out place, there is also a place called Suda, which is also located in Suk 14(small soi but 3 notable eating places). Suda is basically an open air place, which essentially has food for foreigners, as you can see by the clientele. Its a very nice place to hang out but before going there, you should know that it has notoriously slow service (when busy, can easily wait 30 minutes for food). However, it is still a great place to drink beer with friends, with reasonable food and beer prices. (Look for the chubby waitress-she gives the best service!) You might also want to check your tab carefully, as the mama san sometimes counts funny...

I have to politely disagree with the recommendations to go to any "high" restaurants in the city. I have been to most of them, if not all of them, and while I was appropriately impressed by the view, the food invariably left me dissatisfied, and the pricing was extortionate.

If you want to go to a high place, then go, knowing that you are not really going for the cuisine. Take your credit card. Unless you carry a lot of cash, you will need it.