Central Cooling System.

OK People.

When we lived in Italy (2000-2003) we had a very nice villa just north of Rome (paid for by the company mind, I can't afford that sort of thing :o ).

Anyway, this house had aircon which had ONE outside unit (compressor) and FIVE indoor wall mounted coolers.

It worked like a central heating system in reverse, pumping chilled water around through the heat-exchangers (I know it was water, we had a leak, blue colour and a strong smell of ethylene glycol [car anti-freeze]).

Now I hate to see all those outdoor units cluttering up my carefully "designed" house (it was done by a Thai "architect") so a system like this would be nice.

Anyone seen anything resembing this available here?? My builder has no idea what I'm on about.

Bit of info on central multi splits :D

These are the sort of units I would specify for a nice wee house...without the clutter"

Super Multi Plus (Single Phase Inverter)

RMX Multi-Split Inverter.

A 14.5 kW large-capacity multi-split system can drive up to 7 indoor units with a single powerful outdoor unit using a single-phase power supply.

Wider line up of indoor units: The line up offers 6 indoor unit design variations with capacities from 2.5 to 7.1 kW. It features 5.0 to 7.1 kW class models with the high capacity required for living rooms.

Greater energy savings: SUPER MULTI PLUS with COP's of more than 4 is an energy-saving air-conditioning system that uses a high level of advanced new technology.

A single-phase power supply with a 30 A breaker simplifies installation options.

Most a/c gear in LOS tend to come from the following:

Daikin Air Conditioning

LG Air Conditioning

Carrier Air Conditioning

Panasonic

Fujitsu

Sanyo Denko

and Lucky G.

and usually locally manufactured..............keep cool :o:D .

What you were talking about is called a chiller system and water is used rather than gas for cooling inside. These are very reliable units for 24 hour operation and believe many hotels and factories use them. For home use there are multi unit type systems using normal gas (which I believe is what is described above) but if unit fails you are out of luck until fixed and believe they are very expensive.

Is there no ground area or rear wall that you can hang normal units on? Much better to have a system the local ac man can maintain and repair imho.

Will add one major local player to the AC list and that is Central Air.

Edited by lopburi3

Thanks Lop.

Hadn't figured on the split units using gas, just assumed they would be water circulation.

Point taken on the failure scenario :o

I'm sure we can find a concealed space for multiple outdoor units, somewhere 'out back'. :D

Cheers for all the info.

DC

Thanks Lop.

Hadn't figured on the split units using gas, just assumed they would be water circulation.

Point taken on the failure scenario  :o

I'm sure we can find a concealed space for multiple outdoor units, somewhere 'out back'.  :D

Cheers for all the info.

DC

I found one system once but i can not find it now on the internet my old school used it. You take a pip a big one and drag in under ground for some 20 meter or so and then up in the house. The cold air will press to hot air up and you and cooler air almost free in the house all u need is a fan and the pipe. Maybe in Thailand you need to sank the pipe into a pond or something to make it cooler.

My friend told it is going to be very damp using it in Thailand any one got any ideas about it?

Thanks Lop.

Point taken on the failure scenario  :o

I'm sure we can find a concealed space for multiple outdoor units, somewhere 'out back'.  :D

Cheers for all the info.

DC

I found one system once but i can not find it now on the internet my old school used it. You take a pip a big one and drag in under ground for some 20 meter or so and then up in the house. The cold air will press to hot air up and you and cooler air almost free in the house all u need is a fan and the pipe. Maybe in Thailand you need to sank the pipe into a pond or something to make it cooler.

My friend told it is going to be very damp using it in Thailand any one got any ideas about it?

Totally unsuited for Thailand. Too high humidity and temperature. Ponds are hot here when you need air-conditioning

if the house is made of concrete what you need is chilled beams. ie pipes cast into the concrete ,beams and walls , with cool water pumped around thru the pipes .then you shouldnt need air con if the house is cooled .

if the house is made of concrete what you need is chilled beams. ie pipes cast into the concrete ,beams and walls , with cool water pumped around thru the pipes .then you shouldnt need air con if the house is cooled .

I think if you chill the beams and not the air then the warm humid air coming in contact with the chilled beam will cause the water to condense out of the air and onto the beam...causing wet beams.....dripping down the walls....on your head....

I think if you chill the beams and not the air then the warm humid air coming in contact with the chilled beam will cause the water to condense out of the air and onto the beam...causing wet beams.....dripping down the walls....on your head....

Not to mention the fact that you would still need a source of cool water, chiller system/air conditioner. Suspect the EER of such a system would be rather low (to put it mildly). :o

Not to mention the fact that you would still need a source of cool water, chiller system/air conditioner. Suspect the EER of such a system would be rather low (to put it mildly). :o

I don't know if you are correct on the efficiency of water based cooling systems. They are used alot in the US for large buildings.

Yes chiller systems are fine but if you try to pump that water through the concrete beams to cool the building rather than using air handlers you are not going to have a very high efficiency. :o