Russian Cheese Junkie Seems Similar

whiterussian

Please can someone point me in the direction of a shop that sells cheese stuff... i need rennit, cheese cloth, the funky microbes, a press, cheese wax etc... I live outta town so its a bit of a mission to set out on my quest without a heads up.

Im not going to pay the extortionate prices that the Thai cheese mafia demand. Moonshine cheese it has to be.

Decided to try and make my own cheddar/swiss cheese at home to satisy my cravings - Im sure the wife and neighbours will learn to love the smell eventually.

Edited by whiterussian

Hi!

You cannot buy this in Thailand. You can buy in US and send by mail. ( I did it and make my own cheese ). The problem is that with store bought milk you cannot make hard cheese - only soft cheese , like Danish Feta, goodBoursin etc... You should find first good farm milk. Price of milk in Thailand very expensive and if you make your cheese from the shop milk it will be expensive too. Go in Macro and buy Cheddar cheese there - good qulity and not expensive. od

I do not know about the ingredients but I got an almost edible piece of ;unaged cheddar at Rimping at a reasonable price. Brand DaCheese.

170 baht gave a piece about 500 gm.

It could do with a little bit of aging but is edible now.

The had a mozerella too but I did not try it.

Edited by harrry

I do not know about the ingredients but I got an almost edible piece of ;unaged cheddar at Rimping at a reasonable price. Brand DaCheese.

If you like a tangy crumbly cheddar try Mainland Vintage from New Zealand, also in Rimping. So much better than anything local or British. It is worth buying something smaller in quantity but good IMHO. :)

If you like a tangy crumbly cheddar try Mainland Vintage from New Zealand, also in Rimping. So much better than anything local or British. It is worth buying something smaller in quantity but good IMHO. :D

agreed but im biased :)

I suggest that you really read and research before attempting to make cheese. There can be disastrous results if you don't do things correctly.

You forget that you don't just need the cultures, rennet and equipment, you need a cheese cave that can retain humidity and temperature accurately. Wine fridges can work, but don't always provide enough humidity for blue cheeses. You will also need to have a double boiler or the like so that the milk temperature raises at a slow rate.

As stated before fresh milk is needed. You can use store bought milk even for hard cheese but it takes more precise process. Mae Jo and CMU have agricultural departments and you can get fresh milk from them. I think the price is under 30 baht a liter. 1 liter makes aproximately 100 gms of cheese. 8-10 liters for 1 kilo of cheese. Roughly 300 baht for milk, another 100-200 baht for rennet, cultures, salt, and wax(if used) now you add the cost of electricity for keeping your cheese in the cheese cave for 3-6 months. You are spending well over 500 baht for 1 kilo of cheese. It will take quite a few times screwing up before you make any consistent results. The other problem is that you won't know if your cheese came out right for several months. So you might make a few batches before you even realize that you screwed up.

So many people want to try and make cheese and many spend a lot on everything that they need and within 1 year they give up because it isn't that easy.

Hi!

You cannot buy this in Thailand. You can buy in US and send by mail. ( I did it and make my own cheese ). The problem is that with store bought milk you cannot make hard cheese - only soft cheese , like Danish Feta, goodBoursin etc... You should find first good farm milk. Price of milk in Thailand very expensive and if you make your cheese from the shop milk it will be expensive too. Go in Macro and buy Cheddar cheese there - good qulity and not expensive. od

You can buy fresh milk from a dairy in Sansai or at CMU. I would suspect Mae Jo University being an agricultural center would also offer it.

My Grandfather fought along side the White Russians against the Communists.

Hello! Sorry - got banned for a while for flaming/trolling etc as per the norm. My family skidaddled outta Russia on the first train West...

Did bankroll the counter revolution though from a safe distance, including hiring the British army (they didn't show!)... grrr. Its Funny now - Russia is the same size as it was when my ancestor Ivan the Terrible was in power in the 1500's and the US is facing a USSR style decline and sticky situation in Afghanistan - go figure!

----------------

I suggest that you really read and research before attempting to make cheese. There can be disastrous results if you don't do things correctly.

spending well over 500 baht for 1 kilo of cheese. It will take quite a few times screwing up before you make any consistent results.

Thanks Newbie and ELL especially, for the cheese info!!!,

Im not going to jump in with a 'commercial' venture.. im just looking for a new hobbie, I had thought about the cheese 'cave' thing.. thats a tough one... Oh well, if i make the first cheese 'wheel' so bloody big it fills the whole shelf, then with restraint, it may be worth the effort, im sure i can substitute things like cheese wax for the orange temple candles etc!! (although her stinky bags full of fishy pastes and mush in the fridge might contaminate my cheese..).

Will contact HQ in the UK for the microbiological supplies, to get me started, and can confirm I have a source of fresh farm milk, and CM's biggest dairy packer next door as it happens....

Having been told since posting there is already a 'cheese factory' in town... maybe the one near the zoo? ... I think i will set my sights on just supplying my cravings, and if its any good, the hardcore cheese fiends.

Thanks again!

Edited by whiterussian

Lotsa good cheese retail here.

Go to Thai Danish opposite CM Zoo for Gouda (style) -460 B/kilo.

Go to DaCheso at their outlet at the Hideaway Cafe (Google it) for mozzarella- 270 B/kilo (wholesale price).

I used to buy Mainland Vintage at Northern Farms on Huay Kaew Rd @ 145 B for 250 g. They just upped the price to the same, or more than Tops or Rimping. Whoops, going to Tops or Rimping now (better quality control, refrig, etc.).

Making your own cheese is somewhat problematic, but I wish the best for the OP.

If you make it and its edible I want to try. :)

OK, give me a few months! will revive this thread then!

-------------

I know there is plenty of cheese to be had out there 'nai muang'...

Ive been here about 4 years - and spent a grand total of about 400 baht on decadent Western foodstuffs from supermarkets. pah!

Ive lasted this long going native, not going to change now!!

*drool.. sob.. sob*

2007 - Rimping.

- One bag of pasta

- Some parma ham type slices

- One block of cheese

- Tube of tomato paste

Although Mad Dogs and Mike's did get some of my hard earned back in 2008. :D

Edited by whiterussian

Ah, WR...go ahead. Take a walk on the wild side.

Nothing wrong with a few Western foodstuffs, once in a while.

Don't get me wrong... I watch the other farang in Big C pushing a loaded shopping trolley with envious eyes!!!

One day I too shall feast on imported breakfast cereals!! - until then, its a roadside bought plastic bag full of handmade soymilk (5 baht) ... :)

things to do: google rennet mail order, think about alternatives to cheese cloth, find/make cheese press, investigate temperature of cheese 'caves'

-- as a last note before I drift off into a dream world made of Stilton, I think my 4 or so years here without western food has caused me to become deficient in Calcium - back in the UK, cheese/milk formed a large part of my diet.... I've lost one tooth, and cracked two... I've just bought calcium supplements.

I think its because I've been taking the easy route - avoiding the massive portions of spicy vegetable mush my wife like to eat, and going for the noodley type of things, lacking in green veg ...

hence my current medical cheese quest...

Edited by whiterussian