Live Where In Thailand If One Like The Following..? (see List)

whitek

I have plans on moving to Thailand this autumn and I'm thinking of which location could be most suitable.

I liked Patong about ten years ago, (not for the bars really but for the stuff below in my "wish-list"),

but now Patong has become a little bit too crowded I think.

The things I would like are the following:

(Highest priorities on top of list)

- beaches

- gym

- decent foodstores (i.e. SevenEleven or bigger)

- internet

- not very far to a cinema

- pool-tables

- McDonalds

- a mall or two

- bowling

- arcadegames

Maybe it's not possible to have all the above...

But is there some place in Thailand which meets most of the wishes above?

Thank you for the advice fellows!

Have you told your parents about this move to Thailand?

- That one cracked me up! :)

Hey, not everyone is going on a retirement-visa. :D

Have been in Pattaya but didn't find it quite as cozy as Patong. It felt a bit too large and "strictly business", you know.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hua Hin, Koh Samui or maybe the south of Phuket.

Will look for an apartment, nothing fancy but preferably with A/C.

Other than that, it is food, some sort of internet-connection and possibly a gym-card.

I'm working as a freelance illustrator and struggling to get by here in Sweden...

Is it possible to live decently in either of the above locations for THB 20'000 per month?

As far as beaches are concerned, Phuket / Patong is your best bet, or maybe one of the neighboring bays, if you don't mind riding 10 minutes to your favorite Cinema/McDull/Gym/etc.

Hua Hin and Cham Am beaches are not as nice as Phuket's.

Pattaya has to be the worst spot if you like nice beaches.

And about 20.000 baht a month... decent... no.

That would probably get you a very small one roomer, with absolutely no money for extras after internet, food and gym are paid.

Edited by manarak

You can have that all, if you live alone, stay in a rather simple a/c house/apartment and don't go out every night for 30.000 -40.000 Baht per month on the islands.

20.000 is only possible if you delete most on your list and accommodation and f&b is very basic. There will be visa related costs too.

Why on earth would you want to come to Thailand and eat McDonalds?!

If you are trying to survive on 20k, then why not try Sri Lanka or somewhere less developed.

Weird list anyway!

Hey, the guy is asking for suggestions for where to live not for comments on his lifestyle. Not exactly my list of life's essentials neither but each to his own.

20,000 is almost rock bottom survival money if you expect any kind of western style to your life. Sure the Thais can, and do, live on less but I doubt if many westerners could do it long term. You'd have no float to cover medical expenses, visa runs and, if all goes to rat sh1t, your flight home. You don't want to feature on ThaiVisa in a few years as "that ragged farang beggar sleeping under the pier".

HH is the cheapest and most laid-back of most of the major beach areas and the beach ain't bad. With 20k month, though, might be worth considering somewhere in Vietnam, like Da Nang, Nha Trang, or Phan Thiet.

nhatrang2.jpg

20K on Phuket isn't going to get you far. Sadly, that's the type of budget typical of some Pattaya residents. We usually see them in the PDN prominently featured as foreigner; robbed, murdered, dead, drunk or otherwise indisposed.

I suggest you save your money and remain in lovely Sweden another year or so. By that time, hopefully common sense will take hold. Do not come to Thailand unless you have a savings cushion, can generate the required income to satisfy visa requirements and can live comfortably. You are not a 70 year old pensioner and will go mad trying to live within 20K. In Thailand, there is one rule: No money- No honey and that's just not applicable to romance, but to everyday life.

Has to be Pattaya, stay in hotel have a look at surrounding areas, some tremendous places. i live on Darkside, and its brilliant. as for beach i have been to hundreds of beaches around the world and bang saray, nang lam are as good as i have seen, the water is crystal clear. 30 baht max on baht bus or 20-25 mins on bike (bang saray). i am out in the sticks and for 670 baht i get 4mb. as for samui if you do not mind 10-12 thousand baht plane ride just to get to bangkok and back or taking 3 hours to get to main land, as in going to ferry, waiting to get on ferry, then ferry journey, i would give samui a miss. Chaweng stinks, one cinema, average gyms over priced, as is everything else from food to beer. roads are as bad as i have seen anywhere in Thailand.

pattaya has many malls the new central festival is as good a i have seen anywhere including Uk and states. plus BKK is only 1 1/2 hours away or 130 baht on bus. food places well friend ship, topps, carrfour, big c X 2, tesco X 2 plus many many more specialst food shops. 7/11 never much more than a mile apart even out here in the sticks. check out area around soi country club

nice room air con fridge cable tv hot shower 3500 per month,fan room 2500. free public gym up the road, long term motor bike rental 60 baht perday, steak chips and salad 39 baht, all you can eat breakfast 99 baht. internet tricky but about 700 per month. after that is down to beer and birds, and the visa costs but thats about 2000-2500 every 3 months.

cheap gym is Tony's but got bad reputation but people still use it. new outfit well shorts 100 baht, shirt 100-150. can be done but it will be tight. if i dont work out at least you gave it a go and not sat at home thinking i wish.

Edited by NALAK

Has to be Pattaya, stay in hotel have a look at surrounding areas, some tremendous places. i live on Darkside, and its brilliant. as for beach i have been to hundreds of beaches around the world and bang saray, nang lam are as good as i have seen, the water is crystal clear. 30 baht max on baht bus or 20-25 mins on bike (bang saray). i am out in the sticks and for 670 baht i get 4mb. as for samui if you do not mind 10-12 thousand baht plane ride just to get to bangkok and back or taking 3 hours to get to main land, as in going to ferry, waiting to get on ferry, then ferry journey, i would give samui a miss. Chaweng stinks, one cinema, average gyms over priced, as is everything else from food to beer. roads are as bad as i have seen anywhere in Thailand.

pattaya has many malls the new central festival is as good a i have seen anywhere including Uk and states. plus BKK is only 1 1/2 hours away or 130 baht on bus. food places well friend ship, topps, carrfour, big c X 2, tesco X 2 plus many many more specialst food shops. 7/11 never much more than a mile apart even out here in the sticks. check out area around soi country club

nice room air con fridge cable tv hot shower 3500 per month,fan room 2500. free public gym up the road, long term motor bike rental 60 baht perday, steak chips and salad 39 baht, all you can eat breakfast 99 baht. internet tricky but about 700 per month. after that is down to beer and birds, and the visa costs but thats about 2000-2500 every 3 months.

cheap gym is Tony's but got bad reputation but people still use it. new outfit well shorts 100 baht, shirt 100-150. can be done but it will be tight. if i dont work out at least you gave it a go and not sat at home thinking i wish.

Sounds like you got it nailed

When can I move in

:)

:) I was with you and had lived in Hua Hin for 7 years, But I lost you when you wanted "all of that" for less than 700 Baht/Day. When I came to Hua Hin 10 years ago things were way cheaper than they are today. As others have mentioned the Visa situation is something that can get costly and is just about as tough as it has ever been. Sorry to say the "Golden Age" of washing up in Thailand and living and getting by on the cheap are over.

LL

Thank you for the advice fellows!
Have you told your parents about this move to Thailand?

- That one cracked me up! :)

Hey, not everyone is going on a retirement-visa. :D

Have been in Pattaya but didn't find it quite as cozy as Patong. It felt a bit too large and "strictly business", you know.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hua Hin, Koh Samui or maybe the south of Phuket.

Will look for an apartment, nothing fancy but preferably with A/C.

Other than that, it is food, some sort of internet-connection and possibly a gym-card.

I'm working as a freelance illustrator and struggling to get by here in Sweden...

Is it possible to live decently in either of the above locations for THB 20'000 per month?

no problem... just add a thousand dollars per month.

Interesting answers, thanks you guys.

I do have a "savings cushion" in case things turn sour.

Hmm, yes the visa-runs will probably break my budget a bit at first, but after my 6-month "trial-period" I may try to apply for some type of Non-immigrant Visa, which should eventually reduce that cost. And hopefully by then I have a bit more jobs coming in.

Yes, I have been considering Vietnam until I found that most guys on those forums seem to state that Thailand is cheaper.

So I guess the grass looks greener on the other side.

My list is not so strange...

I work as a freelance-illustrator most of the day. I need internet to check for new assignments once a day.

Also I work out at the gym a couple of times a week. To kick back I like to throw some Frisbee at the beach or shoot some pool.

To watch a movie or go bowling maybe once a month would be nice too but nothing critical.

And so on...

Anyway...

NALAK:

Your post was an interesting read! I guess I shouldn't rule out Pattaya already.

There is obviously a great wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Edited by whitek